Timing Belt - replaced by dealer pre sale?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwall

Car
Audi A6
I purchased a 2015 Audi A6, 42k miles, in July from a large dealership in N.Ireland.

I recently realised that the timing belt should have been replaced in June when it was exactly 5 yrs old.

The car was overdue a timing belt replacement when I boughg it.

I have recently brought this to the attention of the dealer, but they are refusing to pay for a new timing belt. They claim that they only go by mileage and not the age of the vehicle.

I phoned Audi. Audi have stated that it doesn't matter if there's only 10 miles on the clock, if it's 5 years old, it needs replaced.

Am I asking too much for the dealer to replace the belt? The car is still within the 6mths warranty with the dealer.

Thanks, Gareth.

Have you thought about asking on a Audi forum?

Same goes for merc gearbox oil. 5 miles or 5 years . It gets changed.

Dealers don't give a toss , they just want your money.

Hi,
If main Audi dealer states belt needs replacing then the belt needs replacing no argument.
Ask Audi to put it in writing when the belt needed replacing and approach the selling dealer again showing them what Audi have said, and see what their response is.

I purchased a 2015 Audi A6, 42k miles, in July from a large dealership in N.Ireland.

I recently realised that the timing belt should have been replaced in June when it was exactly 5 yrs old.

The car was overdue a timing belt replacement when I boughg it.

I have recently brought this to the attention of the dealer, but they are refusing to pay for a new timing belt. They claim that they only go by mileage and not the age of the vehicle.

I phoned Audi. Audi have stated that it doesn't matter if there's only 10 miles on the clock, if it's 5 years old, it needs replaced.

Am I asking too much for the dealer to replace the belt? The car is still within the 6mths warranty with the dealer.

Thanks, Gareth.
One of the reasons i like diesel Mercedes is the fact they have timing chains not timing belts. I could be wrong but i think a lot of Mercedes petrol engines are also timing chains so you really are asking the wrong bunch here. :D

Which engine does it have? Are you sure it has a belt and not a chain?

If it does have a belt, keep at them. I suspect when you say it was a large dealership you mean a non-Audi dealership. Ask to speak to whoever is in charge as you have a complaint to make. Keep it calm and polite and see what the response is. If they don't play ball, take it further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom