Timing chain! .. cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

diddiash

Car
slk230
so im looking to upgrade my slk to a 2002 model, i have 3 to look at and they have all roughly done 100k miles, which i believe this is the time to change your timing chain, any ideas as to what it would cost and is it only MB dealers that can do it? .. also are there any hints if its going on the test drive to look out for?

Andrea

so im looking to upgrade my slk to a 2002 model, i have 3 to look at and they have all roughly done 100k miles, which i believe this is the time to change your timing chain, any ideas as to what it would cost and is it only MB dealers that can do it? .. also are there any hints if its going on the test drive to look out for?
Do not worry about timing chains - they only need to be replaced if they are making a lot of noise, there is no recommended mileage for replacement.

Do not worry about timing chains - they only need to be replaced if they are making a lot of noise, there is no recommended mileage for replacement.

thankyou, big help :bannana:

What type of engine is fitted to a 2002 SLK ? had Mercedes swapped over to the M271 engine by then .
If the car has a M271 engine then change the chain , they can fail at as low milage as 40 k .

What type of engine is fitted to a 2002 SLK ? had Mercedes swapped over to the M271 engine by then .
If the car has a M271 engine then change the chain , they can fail at as low milage as 40 k .
The 170 has the 111 engine, as you say the 171 has the 271. I think failure at 40k is an exception though!

My local indy checks chains on all 271 engines on every service after 40k , plus my 211's second chain went after about 40 k , and I put most of these 40 k on it and used the correct Modil 1 il .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom