Timing Chain Oil Seal Sudden Failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Spade

Car
Merecedes Benz C220 Wagon 2010
While driving my C220 W204 a warning came up saying "check engine oil when next refuelling". Because the engine started to sound rough I drove the four miles to the main dealer very gently. The engine did not overheat nor was there a warning of low oil pressure. However, the engine required a complete rebuild costing thousands of pounds - this despite the fact that the car had always been seviced at a MB main dealer. The leak was from the timing chain tensioner oil seal which had not been leaking at all before. Has anyone else had such a catastrophic experience?

Wow, that is just too terrible for words - starting to doubt that Mercedes quality is what it used to be:fail

To lose oil that quickly it sounds as if the whole tensioner worked itself loose, which I have never heard of before.

Surely they can give you more detail in what actually did leak or fail.

While driving my C220 W204 a warning came up saying "check engine oil when next refuelling". Because the engine started to sound rough I drove the four miles to the main dealer very gently. The engine did not overheat nor was there a warning of low oil pressure. However, the engine required a complete rebuild costing thousands of pounds - this despite the fact that the car had always been seviced at a MB main dealer. The leak was from the timing chain tensioner oil seal which had not been leaking at all before. Has anyone else had such a catastrophic experience?

Happened on my w202 c230K. Had come undone and wound out till it reached s/c which stopped it but exposed 3 to 4mm of gap between head and tensioner seat face and believe me it came out faster than you could pour it in. Luckily stopped strait away and done it up! That was 6 years ago and still going strong.

OM651 engine? There is a current recall for incorrectly torqued timing chain tensioner sealing washers. You need to get this checked out thoroughly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom