Timing chain on a w210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davinci

My 2002 e200 komp is coming up for 116,000 miles. When should the timing chain be replaced and I have an A service due in 1500miles, so what else in addition to the usual A service will be needed?

Many thanks :rock:

I am still looking for where this chain gets changed.
Most dealers seem reluctant to change and no one knows any specific time or mileage.
it just varies

There is no specific time or milage.

They are supposed to be in there for life.

There is no specific time or milage.

They are supposed to be in there for life.

hopefully not "life" like the gearbox oil ;)

My 2002 e200 komp is coming up for 116,000 miles. When should the timing chain be replaced and I have an A service due in 1500miles, so what else in addition to the usual A service will be needed?

Many thanks :rock:

I beieve the timing chain should be replaced when it is out of adjustment (i.e. it has stretched beyond the limits of the adjuster). Be warned, acording to MBUK for the 190E, this is an expensive job as the front of the engine has to come off and the chain, chain adjusters and several sprockets have to be replaced at same time.

Accorcding to Hayes, you simple wrap a new chain to the old chain via the inspection window. Got MB dealer to do this, but it only lasted 13 months and was replaced again under waranttee - this time MB paid for the whole job to be done properly at a cost of some £900.

I have replaced chains the "Haynes" way with no adverse effects. My own have been done this way and after 50k miles it is still good. The secret is in the riveting. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom