Timing Chain on W220 S320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NiallerS320

Car
W220 S320 Petrol
Hi All

Coming up on 93,000 miles on my 2000 S320 and was wondering at what intervals should the timing chain be replaced, or for that matter should it be replaced at all, any advice welcome.

Niall

Ask again when you are around the 175.000 mark. they are normally are good for mileages well beyond this figure.

If it rattles at start up, that is the time to think about the chain. Many of the engines are unique in that they have the damper/sprocket on the crankshaft that rotates, blanking off the oil feed to the chain when the engine is stopped,this is also used to retard the petrol engines for easy starting, there is also a one way valve that keeps the pressure on the tensioner when it has stopped

There are no intervals.

A customer of mine has one with 420,000 miles on with the original chain.

changing is not recommended unless it is rattling.
From MB of liverpool

But my previous S500 came to an untimely dead when the timing chain broke at less than 100K miles :mad:.

I had no indication of anything being wrong.

I have often wondered about the rattling for example - how am I supposed to hear this inside the car, with its excellent sound proofing.

Are the V8's more problematic? Is there a diagnosis/inspection of the chain and the guides possible?

In post 2, I gave a small description of how the chain works on the V8 with much thought going into the design it can only be bad luck that it broke,at your 90k miles the chances are that it would not be noisy at the mileage, but it just broke

I do not know what else to say

But my previous S500 came to an untimely dead when the timing chain broke at less than 100K miles :mad:.

I had no indication of anything being wrong.

The timing chain broke on my Dad's first Merc, a 200T estate on a C plate. (This car is what started my love affair for the three pointed star).

I was only a lad at the time but as I remember it, the car had been service by Benz just a couple of days before hand so my Dad kicked off threatening going to local newspapers and stuff. Turned out that MB agreed to supply a new engine but we had to pay the labour. (about 1k)

Did MB offer you any compensation of any kind?

I remember the AA guy (at time of incident) saying that he's never seen this on a Merc. He said, one of the main things about Mercs is that the chain doesn't break. (Didn't really know what he meant at the time, but his comments stayed with me).

Early chains were Simplex type (ie regular chain, single link). These were troublesome and the later cars now use Duplex chains - ie double row. Much stronger and less likely to slip or break.

There are and have been other issues over the years - fragile guide rails and weak tensioners.

Will

Did MB offer you any compensation of any kind?

I wrote to them and initially they brushed off any responsibility. I pointed out to them that about a year before the incident I had called the customer advice line to ask whether or not the chain had to be inspected, because I was coming up to 90K miles at the time. They told me there was no need for any action.

I reminded them of this conversation and of the fact that the car had been always maintained by Mercedes Brentford, who indeed had carried out a major service a month or 3 before the chain broke.

I didn't get anywhere with the minions, so I wrote to one of their directors and told them that (a) I would not buy another Merc if they considered it normal for their flagship car to go **** up at less than 100K despite the fact that it had been maintained to the highest standard regardless of cost and that it had never been abused in terms of driving style, and (b) that I would make sure my story got out.

Eventually, they offered some compensation in terms of discount if I bought another Merc, which is what I eventually went for.

Replacing the engine was just not feasible, the price was quoted around the 20K mark, I got a few independent quotes that all where about the same.

It was a double chain as well, by the way.

Eventually, they offered some compensation in terms of discount if I bought another Merc, which is what I eventually went for.

I take it they gave you a good percentage off then? I guess they wanted to keep you in MB ownership, as clearly it's very lucrative for them. So I guess it good if they give you a tidy discount off your purchase.

I take it the discount was for a brand new purchase?
It would be nice if they'd let you source your own car and then give you the compensation as "Dealer Credit" that you could use against servicing and repairs etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom