Timing Chain Replacement Cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spinaltap

Car
A180 Avantgarde (2009) A180 Avantgarde (2012)
My (2012) W169 had its annual MOT and Service this past week. The technician alerted me to a ‘kink’ in the Timing Chain (which is starting to stretch). If and when it gets worse (age and mileage related), it’s likely to cost £1k to replace it.

Given that the Car is only worth £3.2k, I’m minded to change the Car before such a major rectification job is required.

Even so, what is the likely cost of replacing the Timing Chain via a non-franchise Garage?

My (2012) W169 had its annual MOT and Service this past week. The technician alerted me to a ‘kink’ in the Timing Chain (which is starting to stretch). If and when it gets worse (age and mileage related), it’s likely to cost £1k to replace it.
What is your mileage?

This is interesting for a couple of reasons (we had 4 W169 in my family, and recently down to 3 as one was written off by a 3rd party driver):-

1. Never had a timing chain issue with any of our 4 W169. The oldest was a 2006 W169 which was written off with a mileage circa 120K. Currently, our 2009 W169 has 154K miles on the clock and still going strong.

2. The timing chain inspection is not a part of the MOT as far as I know. Is there any reason for your MOT 'technician' to be poking around the timing chain area during what is a limited MOT inspection time window?

Finally, have you taken this to a respectable indy for a second opinion?

NB: Our 2006 W169 with 120K miles on the clock was valued at £2100 by the 3rd party insurance company during the write-off process, so your estimated value of your 2012 W169 at £3.2K seems on the low side to me.

It’s a Diesel with 35,500 on the clock.

During the annual service, the technician heard a tell-tale ‘ticking’ noise from the engine. As it gets worse, it will sound like a constant banging noise on a tin drum I’m told.

Valuation was given by Mercedes against a new A-Class.

It’s a Diesel with 35,500 on the clock.

During the annual service, the technician heard a tell-tale ‘ticking’ noise from the engine. As it gets worse, it will sound like a constant banging noise on a tin drum I’m told.

Valuation was given by Mercedes against a new A-Class.
Ah, this makes sense now. Also, the valuation is for a trade-in, so you might be able t sell it privately for more than the trade-in valuation.

Fishy business here. 35500 on clock. Timing belts go to 60000 before recommended change. Chains last for ever if oil is changed regularly. IMO the only thing that could be related to the timing chain is a sticky tensioner. If you like the car you should keep it and find an indy who knows what they are talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom