timing chain replacement .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyz

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
ClK 209,190E 201,SLK 170(gone) audi tt vr6 3.2
Hi guys, having read a number of posts regarding timing chains, there seems to be some ambiguity as to when,or if indeed ever it is necessary to change the chain.Having had vehicles in the past with cam belts that have snapped and having to deal with bent valves etc makes me slightly nervous.

Would be grateful for some idea of crucial mileage marker,or initial signs/symptoms of pending failure.

I have also noticed more failures reported on the more powerful engines,is the torque a factor.

I have a W201 with 190k on and a W202 with 130k both with original chains.

kind regards

Martyz.

turn the engine to TDC, with the rocker cover removed you can check for chain stretch by looking at the misalignment between the marking on the cam gear and the marking on the cam tower.

Your M111 engined C200 and M102 engined 190E 1.8 both have duplex chains. The timing chains are very reliable, and failure would be very unusual - so unless you are experiencing any issues I would save your budget towards more appropriate servicing/repairs - ie rust, auto box, head gasket issues etc.

turn the engine to TDC, with the rocker cover removed you can check for chain stretch by looking at the misalignment between the marking on the cam gear and the marking on the cam tower.

Remember that misalignment can also be due to skimmed heads etc.

I would possibly think about it on the 190E with that mileage, chain and more imprtantly tensioner.

Thanks jaymanek,will take that on board.Had a look at your gallery,you have some stunning cars.

cheers Martyz:thumb:

Your M111 engined C200 and M102 engined 190E 1.8 both have duplex chains. The timing chains are very reliable, and failure would be very unusual - so unless you are experiencing any issues I would save your budget towards more appropriate servicing/repairs - ie rust, auto box, head gasket issues etc.

+1

Unless you have a very good reason to suspect your timing chain is faulty, best to leave it alone. Very rare for these to snap.

I changed the chain on a 200k miles 230 TE duplex. I regretted it the old one was fine. Also their is a risk of dropping it down the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom