Timing Chain tensioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A1EK

Car
Mercedes SL 3.7L AMG Speedshift - (Past: CLK 230, 190E, W201, W203)
HI Guys

I have 160K miles on my CLK 230 Kompressor W208 chasis and at about 2300rpm I hear a little rattle (regardless of what speed I am doing). I having checked the pulleys and replaced a couple, but the noise is still there. I am thinking it may be a worn timing chain tensioner and the chain is a little slack?

Can anyone advise how to replace the tensioner and any tips and if there is anything else I could check to find the rattle?

Thanks

Very likely the chain needs replacing plus guides.

Very likely the chain needs replacing plus guides.

Hmm I have been advised that the chain is good fro 500+K miles by various people?

Hmm I have been advised that the chain is good fro 500+K miles by various people?

What are they basing this on?

The cost to change a chain whilst you are changing the tensioner is rather small in comparison to rebuilding the engine if the chain breaks or jumps. It is a very poor economy to not do so.

The chain is cheap, the sprockets are £449 each.
My chain and stretched a full link and the tensioner had worn as was not holding oil pressure, result, slipped and bent all 8 inlet valves.

John Jones Jr said:
Don't believe a word, more like 150K.

I agree150k max, sprockets can be had from a bespoke engineering company in Germany for about €150 each. There was a post on here a while ago with a link. 230k engines do seem to fair better than their smaller counterparts though and are cheaper to repair

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

That's for the 271 engine. This is a 111.

I expect its a cam advance magnet that is rattling as this is very common. Chains are not on the 111.

Get a Merc tech to have a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom