Timing chains??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The latest is MB have the car & confirmed it’s the timing chain, their completely shocked, So now we’re waiting for a response back from MB Germany as to what to do next, bottom line I don’t want the car now so hopefully we can come to some compromise!!??.........
After 4 years or so the best you can hope for is a Goodwill repair, you will have no legal right to a refund but I cannot think that the deal they offered is more in their interest than yours.

I think it's a good result.

After 4 years or so the best you can hope for is a Goodwill repair, you will have no legal right to a refund but I cannot think that the deal they offered is more in their interest than yours.

The point is this is not like oh the tyres are low on tread, better change them. The chain is put in as a lifetime item in the engine. This can and should be seen as a major failure. Mercedes have shrugged it off as if its a part that is meant to fail at that age/mileasge and the op has to a degree gone with that.

We are letting companies treat their products as disposable items, and if that is the case we can expect that cars will not last long past the warranty period in the not so distant future.

Wow, they really have pulled a fast one on you. Getting the chain done at an independent would cost less than a third of that price, at a guess, and I don’t know how much they valued your car at, but I would bet it would have been below market value. Decision is entirely yours at the end of the day, but I would not have gone for that deal.

They simply went, don’t want to pay out so we will just shove him in a new car.

They valued my car at £19500
Wow, they really have pulled a fast one on you. Getting the chain done at an independent would cost less than a third of that price, at a guess, and I don’t know how much they valued your car at, but I would bet it would have been below market value. Decision is entirely yours at the end of the day, but I would not have gone for that deal.

They simply went, don’t want to pay out so we will just shove him in a new car.

They valued my car at £19500,
Out of that I had to put £2000 in to the new E300, MB put in £8000,
They will give me a cheque for £17500 when I pick the new car up on Saturday, I decided to pcp the car for 3 years instead of buying it, the payments per month are £471.00 with gap insurance.
For me it was a good deal, I really didn’t want a car with a partial engine rebuild

We are letting companies treat their products as disposable items, and if that is the case we can expect that cars will not last long past the warranty period in the not so distant future.

It's not as if MB don't know how to engineer a durable timing chain. What they are doing is deliberately sacrificing durability for lower emissions and headline mpg figures by using a single row chain. If they are not going to last the engines lifetime we would be better with timing belts which are simpler and cheaper to replace.

Hi Pabs400, I think I have just bought your old car! if not I have exactly the same problems with the identical car, may I ask if your first four digits of the reg number are RX64? what a nightmare I am having with it due to your aforementioned problems and now I feel for the dealer as he has clearly bought it at auction without any knowledge of any of this, shame on Mercedes!!!!!

Hi pdr479
It’s RX64ydp hope it’s not the same car, Mercedes are fully aware of the problems, pls contact me if it’s the same car & I’ll give you my number so we can talk

It's probably a weak tensioner. Try replacing it and see what happens

I hope so, I will update when I can. Replacing any parts at this time is not my problem as the dealer I bought from is taking it on the chin

Hi pdr479
It’s RX64ydp hope it’s not the same car, Mercedes are fully aware of the problems, pls contact me if it’s the same car & I’ll give you my number so we can talk

That’s it, ahhhhhh, I can’t pm u until I have been a member for a period of time or posted x times, so if it’s ok with the moderators this is my email:
[email protected]
If u would be kind enough to ping me your number I will be eternally great full and ring you.
Many many thanks. Paul.

Hi Pabs400, I think I have just bought your old car! if not I have exactly the same problems with the identical car, may I ask if your first four digits of the reg number are RX64? what a nightmare I am having with it due to your aforementioned problems and now I feel for the dealer as he has clearly bought it at auction without any knowledge of any of this, shame on Mercedes!!!!!

Im a bit confused, did you buy this from a Mercedes dealer yourself ?

Im a bit confused, did you buy this from a Mercedes dealer yourself ?

I think the car in question was sent to auction by MB, and another car dealer (not Mb) has bought it and sold it on to Paul. :)

I see, these Mercedes dealers are so horrible

Lol have they fixed your engine rattle yet? :)

Ahah not yet, it has now been escalated to the formal complaints department for a rejection as i have given them a chance to correct and repair the faults but they have failed!

Will have a result in 8 weeks. :-(

I can just imagine the excuses they are putting together

Ahah not yet, it has now been escalated to the formal complaints department for a rejection as i have given them a chance to correct and repair the faults but they have failed!

Will have a result in 8 weeks. :-(

I can just imagine the excuses they are putting together

Such a shame! :(

IMO you’re better off just buying privately, save a few grand on purchase and sort out any issues yourself. Don’t have to mess around with the dealerships :D

Such a shame! :(

IMO you’re better off just buying privately, save a few grand on purchase and sort out any issues yourself. Don’t have to mess around with the dealerships :D

Yes that’s what I’m thinking too.
I hope they accept the rejection and I get a full refund even though I’ve clocked over 3k miles since the purchase.

Yes that’s what I’m thinking too.
I hope they accept the rejection and I get a full refund even though I’ve clocked over 3k miles since the purchase.

I hope so too buddy, good luck and let us know how you get on!

Abs

Thanks and I will keep you all posted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom