Timing chains??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wow, just read through this whole thread in horror.
Spent time working for a MB/BMW dealer and it brought back some memories of some of the ripping off I used to see. When I left I very nearly 'shopped' them but chose not to.
This is why I'd never go near a main dealer.
Not a good advert for thr brand.

Im a bit confused, did you buy this from a Mercedes dealer yourself ?

Hi yes from a private dealer not MB as the post below says, I am guessing he bought it at auction most likely untested tbh I feel for the dealer he has purchased a ‘I M O’ quality vehicle in goodwill that MB have put through auction just to get rid of the problem which they know exists.

All this reminds me of a similar story of a friend of mine and a 'high end' Italian motorcycle he bought new from a main dealer.
Long story short the complex electronics on the thing made it a death-trap. it would switch from 'rain' mode to 'track' on its own , it would simply stop dead at any given time without warning both things that could kill the rider of such a powerful machine.

After much to ing and fro ing they replaced all sorts of electric gubbins to no good effect and he rejected the bike under the sale of goods act.

later when he went to collect his new bike the old death trap was in the showroom with a price tag on it waiting for the next sucker.

And this was from a very large main dealer. Buyer beware

All this reminds me of a similar story of a friend of mine and a 'high end' Italian motorcycle he bought new from a main dealer.
Long story short the complex electronics on the thing made it a death-trap. it would switch from 'rain' mode to 'track' on its own , it would simply stop dead at any given time without warning both things that could kill the rider of such a powerful machine.

After much to ing and fro ing they replaced all sorts of electric gubbins to no good effect and he rejected the bike under the sale of goods act.

later when he went to collect his new bike the old death trap was in the showroom with a price tag on it waiting for the next sucker.

And this was from a very large main dealer. Buyer beware
I used to sell these 'high end' Italian motorcycles, I preferred to older ones.
There's alot to be said for a pair of good old fashioned gawping 40mm De'Lorto carburettors sucking in small children as they walk passed! ;)

I used to sell these 'high end' Italian motorcycles, I preferred to older ones.
There's alot to be said for a pair of good old fashioned gawping 40mm De'Lorto carburettors sucking in small children as they walk passed! ;)
My friend is a very experienced biker and has a healthy collection of Japanese classics and modern bikes but this thing terrified him simply because he could not trust it to stay in the mode he selected. As you probably know when its hooning down with rain on our greasy crowded roads it can be nice to turn you very powerful bike down a little bit , you do not want it turning to 'track' mode without telling you first ! :eek:

My friend is a very experienced biker and has a healthy collection of Japanese classics and modern bikes but this thing terrified him simply because he could not trust it to stay in the mode he selected. As you probably know when its hooning down with rain on our greasy crowded roads it can be nice to turn you very powerful bike down a little bit , you do not want it turning to 'track' mode without telling you first ! :eek:
... Scary, that's the only adjective that comes to mind.

Hi pdr479
Very sorry to here you bought my old car, I have emailed you my details, give me a call & I’ll explain the problems I had

Hi pdr479
Very sorry to here you bought my old car, I have emailed you my details, give me a call & I’ll explain the problems I had

Update, the guys I purchased the car from have been great, after a shaky start they have come up trumps, I decided to go for an E350 and avoid the 400 just in case, they did source an identical E400 with lower mileage which I declined just in case lol, now I will be ‘hopefully ‘ the proud owner of a 17k mile E350 wish me luck. Pabs I am in your debt thank you so much for your help. The dealer and I are disgusted by Mercedes morals. Oh well here’s to many years of fault free motoring. Wish me luck. Paul.
Ps don’t tell me diesels have the same problem.

Does this problem only exist when the engine is cold or would you hear it with a hot engine as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom