Timing degree to remove pump W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tinytots

Car
2001 E320 CDI AUTO
Hi all, I'm having major problems changing my diesel pump. The mechanic doing the work is trying to confirm what degree the timing should be before fitting the locking bolt. He is fairly sure it is 17 degrees. The other problem is the pump won't lock, there seems to be a break on the lower shaft or the wheel at the rear of the pump that has the locking pin on it. The tool works perfectly on the replacement pump, but not on the old one. If he sets the timing at the right degree and removes the old pump, then locks the new pump and puts it on will it work?
Please help, I've now been without my beloved Mercedes for 5 weeks now, nightmare. :wallbash:

Static timing is 14 to 15 deg AFTER TDC on firing stroke No 1 set on the front crank pulley. At that setting the locking 'flat' on the pump rear shaft should be visible through the plug hole by using a mirror and torch. It is possible to simply remove the pump and set a replacement on the marks before re-fitting although you wouldn't really want to rotate the engine with the pump out.

NB..the pump/pulley center bolt is LH thread.

Last edited:
Druk, thank you for all your help. Sorry for being a pain, thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom