Timsters What do you think of this car thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timster

Car
Currently Merc' Less.
Strikes me as being very pricey.

I think they are having a laugh at that money, check Auto Trader and ebay nowhere near that pricing.

Ha - had seen that - not really looking for an overpriced car, but also not looking for an underpriced car either - right car for the right money!

These :dk:

Bargain and plenty of gearboxes around Mercedes-Benz E Class E320 CDi Elegance 5dr Tip Auto 3.2 GEARBOX FAULT NO MOT 2001

- Have changed gearboxes in precious cars = wanting to buy a working car this time as need it to hit the road running so to speak.

high miles but right price Mercedes-Benz E Class E320 CDi Avantgarde 5dr Tip Auto 3.2 PART EXCHANGE TO CLEAR 20?

= worth a second look.

Nice spec Mercedes-Benz E Class E320 CDi Avantgarde 5dr Tip Auto Diesel Estate 3.2 2002

= Phoned about this one yesterday - now sold.

Friend has a nice facelift E320cdi Estate in deep purple with grey leather.
160k miles but tons of receipts and I know it has recently had all fluids changed including gearbox transmission fluid again.

Nice spec with digital climate, heated seats, xenons etc.

I very, very nearly bought it myself but fancied another ML after 3 E estates.

The only thing that I can think of is it may need a front control arm replacing, didn't feel worn or clunk, but the steering wheel is slightly off centre and that is a sign the lower front ball joint is going, or maybe a front spring has snapped, but we looked and couldn't see anything. Not badly off centre and he hadn't noticed, but I am a bit a n a l. :D (edit: won't allow you to type a n a l keeps putting ****. A forum with a dirty mind!)

Think he said he wanted £1700 for it as he had spent shed load on it over the last few months as it was a keeper, but then was offered a really low mileage late 210 and bought that. haha
But bet who would listen to offers. I can ask if you want?

Last edited:
Friend has a nice facelift E320cdi Estate in deep purple with grey leather.
160k miles but tons of receipts and I know it has recently had all fluids changed including gearbox transmission fluid again.

Nice spec with digital climate, heated seats, xenons etc.

I very, very nearly bought it myself but fancied another ML after 3 E estates.

The only thing that I can think of is it may need a front control arm replacing, didn't feel worn or clunk, but the steering wheel is slightly off centre and that is a sign the lower front ball joint is going, or maybe a front spring has snapped, but we looked and couldn't see anything. Not badly off centre and he hadn't noticed, but I am a bit a n a l. :D (edit: won't allow you to type a n a l keeps putting ****. A forum with a dirty mind!)

Think he said he wanted £1700 for it as he had spent shed load on it over the last few months as it was a keeper, but then was offered a really low mileage late 210 and bought that. haha
But bet who would listen to offers. I can ask if you want?

You have mail!!

Hi Folks.

Its been a fun weekend searching for cars, and not too much has reared it's head. I've narrowed it down, it's either going to be a 124 or a 210. 123 is too old, and 211 too new (esp with the spc problem)

There's a 300TD come up on here over the weekend with the OM606 engine which looks worth looking at, poverty spec with some rust on the front wing which does worry me, but sounds to be well maintained and mechanically sound. I'm in sheffield in a couple of weeks, so may well have a look at it if I haven't found anything by then.

However, this looks interesting:

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.cgi?selection=913177484#applynow

High miles, but FSH, well maintained and good spec. Sounds excellend. Slight rush on drivers door apparently, but all working, and running well. I think it's priced fairly, and the seller tells me he'll take £1800, which is very fair I think.

He's selling because he's bought himself a new car apparently, just reached 50 and decided for the first ever time in his life to buy himself a new car, sounds honest and reasonable to talk to on the phone. The car comes with roof bars and 4 snow tyres which is a bonus, but not a sale clincher to me.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this one, and anyone nearby fancy looking it over for me I'd be very grateful indeed!

Cheers all.

Tim.

You mention a 300td and then say " this looks interesting but no link

Oops. Out the office just now, I'll add links to both cars as soon as I'm back!

Well, a provisional purchase has been agreed for the 220CDI.

I'm flying down to Luton next monday to view, and if alls well will enjoy a pleasant drive back up the road (only as far as edinburgh, won't be back in Orkney for a couple of weeks after that)

Have scoured the web tonight, and unable to find such a thing as a definitive buyers guide. The main thing is rust, top to toe, and the spring cups.

Anything else stand out?

It's got full service history, which I'll read thoroughly, and i'm waiting on a reply from the seller with MOT document number so I can check all the old MOT's.

He's been very accommodating, car is in Watford, but he's going to pick me up at Luton airport, which is handy. (I've booked a flight back, only £35, so I can afford to say no if it turns out to be a dog)

Quite excited, I always enjoy the challenge of finding a suitable new car, and the excitment of taking ownership and moving in! Will be nice to be back in a benz!

All comments and advise still appreciated, the deal won't be done for another week, so time to find the flaw!

(Oh, and the car comes with 4 winter tyres and roof bars - all essentials in my view of car ownership, as stated not a deal clencher but nice to have, and save me buying!)

Anyone any tips on fitting a towbar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom