Tinkling Noise behind central console

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aeromerc

Hi, I've had my SportCoupe a couple of months and there is a small tinkling noise behind the central console; one of those things that is trivial and yet is now driving me mad... So any help greatfully received.

It seems to come from the Audio20 but maybe something to do with airvents or any other gizmo behind there. It sounds like something small and electronic oscillating or rotating that is loose and touches something it shouldn't. It has the same frequency regardless of car speed.

It is intermittent - Some days it is there, others not (maybe a temperature/humidity thing?). Sometimes I think it is related to a CD being in/out then the next day I am proved wrong. It reacts to bumps in the road, (e.g. on a concrete road it is constant, but on tarmac only potholes trigger it - on a good day).

It isn't a loose pen or pound coin or WHY in the glovebox/ashtray :rolleyes:, or loose panels etc.

Thanks...

Isn't this a typical failure of the AC actuator motors, or the connecting parts. You would likely find a thread covering the instructions to fix it.

I have a very similar problem in my C180K, if you fix it can you post here what you have done.

Many thanks,

DME

Tinkling noise... update! (rear view mirror)

... I bought a torx screwdriver but never got around to opening up the dash as Autumn arrived. Just as well - I moved my head listening to this noise one day and it turns out it's coming from the rear view mirror, not the dash!:doh:

So I plan to get the RVM off/open at some point to stop the noise. But in the meantime just giving it a squeeze or a wiggle seems to help.

Sorry to anyone who really does have a noise behind the dash - but perhaps this news will help another group of folk?

The noise from the RVM area is most likely caused by a small fan in the roof console. It's a fairly common problem. Pull the cover off and all will be revealed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom