Tinnitus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have had my ears syringed about every 2 years for the last 30 years. The last time was Dec 2015 and now my left ear has blocked again.
Did you find much improvement ? I do get a lot of wax in my ears but had given no thought to having them syringed.

Good point Darrell , probably prevented by vanity . I just seem to miss out on certain pitches but for some strange reason always manage to hear the wife !
My mate had that attitude but the aids he has fitted are hardly noticeable. We were all in the pub a while ago and I only noticed when he started fiddling with them.

When we lived in Manchester alongside a very busy dual carriageway it wasn’t as bigger deal.

Since moving up here it’s deadly silent and more of a problem.

Sadly a few years ago our daughters fish died. Her loss was my gain (so to speak) and I re-sited the small fish tank in our bedroom. The sound of the pump/filter is a great distraction from the tinnitus and quite a soothing sound that’s easy to get used to.

I guess we might as well get some fish. :)

I’ve had mild tinnitus for quite a few years, probably caused by working in the canmaking industry. Even with ear defenders and noise reduction techniques it is still a serious distraction from normal life. I have sympathy for anyone with significant issues.

I once got up in the middle of the night because I could hear something. At first, I thought it was the central heating, so I was on my hands and knees listening to the radiator - nothing. Then, I thought it might be something electrical, so I started searching through out the house - still nothing.

Eventually, I realised that I was searching for a noise that only existed in my head and felt a right idiot!

My tinnitus is all my own doing. :(

Working in building & construction from leaving school. Self employed from being 19. Older and wiser tradesman advising me to protect my ears whilst using a huge range of loud power tools and I totally ignored them.

Now I wear ear defenders when using any power tool. Too little too late maybe, but the doctor said it’ll stop it getting any worse.

I really wish I hadn’t have been so stubborn.
A real problem of men's pride on building sites I guess. I go to quite a few building sites now & the PPE & H&S is generally very very good. One big advancement have made for the better. Sometimes it goes a little too far IMHO but I'm sensible & think about all I do. Lots need to be protected from their own stupidity & pride.

My dad was a plasterer by trade & left school at 14. He worked on building sites all his life until he got out in the early 80's when building g work really dried up terribly & started a joinery & window company. Then had large loud machines for machining wood. Did he ever wear ear defenders? No....idiot...and I have no sympathy for him. He still doesn't half the time now.

I wear defenders or plugs most of the time I'm working on anything loud whether it be power tools or mowing the lawn. Those noise warning stickers are there for a reason. You have one pair of ears....look after them people.

I can remember being on sites with my dad at very young ages. He had a contract to refit all the Vidal Sassoon salons in London in the late 70's early 80's. I can remember at maybe 8/9 years old using a kango to take a wall down in a salon. Did I get given ear defenders.....no! Very silly.

I have mild undiagnosed tinnitus as a background whistle all the time but I would say it is.mild I believe. My biggest problem that has worsened over the years in seemingly hyper sensitivity to noise & worse when it is several at the same time. If two people talk at the same time my brain goes crazy & amplifies every single noise around. Feels like I'm hearing stuff from miles away & all close noises are loud so I then find it hard to hear or focus on what the primary person was saying.

Ticking clocks & annoying noises like that drive me bonkers!

With lots of other collective symptoms it might be a form of Autism as Aspergers from what I can tell/read. I have learnt to deal with it and lime Ant moving to a much quieter location helps a great deal. It is a strange and anoying symptom & it makes it very hard to focus & concentrate on the primary foreground task. It is weird for me as in the right conditions/environment I can focus intensely on one foreground primary task more than anyone I know. It helps me to be good at what I do when understanding, diagnosing, troubleshooting & resolving fairly complex technical IT, network & technology issues for customers.

I couldn't live in a busy town environment as it drives me nuts & makes me very short & antagonistic. The various multiple noises & their levels become unbearable for me head to process. It is a weird sensation as it feels like pain but isn't. I also seem to have a fairly high pain threshold which seems to be a little abnormal.

I do love my silence & can hear the lovely birds twittering now & all the noises that are so therapeutic in a quite rural environment. Moving 3.5 years ago was by far the best albeit most expensive thing we have done.

Looking back I was very silly and immature. I did a plastering course at Manchester collage in deansgate along with a dozen other idiots.

We used to have contests to see who could carry the most bags of plaster.

I remember staggering across the room, legs shaking like jelly after 3 had been placed on my right shoulder. I wonder now why I’m in such bad physical state?

What a complete pr**k!
My dad was the same racing to see how bags they could carry in so many minutes up ladders etc. He has had half a dozen back operations & his back is mostly knackered then being mostly deaf in one ear with reduced hearing in the other.

I think society has moved on and men are not so bad with their testosterone filed antics. We still have some way to go though.

If any use to you sufferers, number 1 son is a hearing aid dispenser, qualified to test hearing & prescribe solutions. He works for a national/multinational company.
If within his geographic patch (part of Suffolk & part of Norfolk) he can help. Out of his patch he can recommend other dispensers.

Reading this thread & symptoms from sufferers has been really good for me so I thank all for this.

I had never really thought much about it until now & can't actually remember my ears/hearing being any different. I have had this annoying background whistle for as long as I can remember & can't remember not having it. I have learnt to ignore it or deal with it & thought it was normal. I can't imagine what it is like without it. I just never gave it any thought or attention & just thought it was normal. It seems it isn't normal.

I do get short at times but for various reasons I believe not just this. Well not consciously anyway. One thing I have noticed since reading this thread though is the noise is now seemingly worse or I more that I am currently more conscious of it than I was prior to reading this thread! I am sure this will pass & normal service will be resumed.

I am not one of life's complainers. I moan about stuff not being good enough or right all the time but that is different to me than being one of life's complainers. I just get on a do stuff whether I'm ill, hurting or whatever. That is why I never even thought of this being an issue. I just ignore it & get on with stuff.

I just thought it was normal & put it down to some noise maybe your brain generates or something. I really don't know what I was thinking....just thought it was normal.

Wow....imagine a world without this noise....bliss.

Reading this thread & symptoms from sufferers has been really good for me so I thank all for this.

I had never really thought much about it until now & can't actually remember my ears/hearing being any different. I have had this annoying background whistle for as long as I can remember & can't remember not having it. I have learnt to ignore it or deal with it & thought it was normal. I can't imagine what it is like without it. I just never gave it any thought or attention & just thought it was normal. It seems it isn't normal.

I do get short at times but for various reasons I believe not just this. Well not consciously anyway. One thing I have noticed since reading this thread though is the noise is now seemingly worse or I more that I am currently more conscious of it than I was prior to reading this thread! I am sure this will pass & normal service will be resumed.

I am not one of life's complainers. I moan about stuff not being good enough or right all the time but that is different to me than being one of life's complainers. I just get on a do stuff whether I'm ill, hurting or whatever. That is why I never even thought of this being an issue. I just ignore it & get on with stuff.

I just thought it was normal & put it down to some noise maybe your brain generates or something. I really don't know what I was thinking....just thought it was normal.

Wow....imagine a world without this noise....bliss.
Try to get it sorted otherwise it’ll drive you mental.

I came back from holiday yesterday so Ive done a couple of flights and my left ear is a bit better. Tomorrow I’m back on the ear-drops in preparation for another attempt at ear syringing.

jokes.jpg

I'm convinced, well today I am, that tinnitus is a form of mutation, intended to provide the human race with inbuilt radio reception. And we the sufferers, are the carefully selected prototypes for the next generation of DAB equipped humans.

:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a case coming to court in mid year .
Only took the solicitors 4 years in October to get something sorted out. The case is due soon . I have had two hearing tests and both show that I have problems in both ears .Press work for most of my younger years that's done the damage .I told the woman that's looking after the case, that at the end of this I may have enough to buy an hearing trumpet. Tinnitus is there all the time so its hard to hear the tv even but I put up with it I try not to think about it.

Without wishing to demean the agony of tinnitus.

My, very elderly, Grandmother used to wear an old fashioned hearing aid. Whenever she came over for Sunday lunch the device would inevitable start whistling sometime between the main course and dessert, for some reason this would send me into that kind of giggling fit that only a 15 year old knows.

Dad would shout 'you're whistling Mother' and as she tuned back in I'd call out 'come in Tokyo'

Not that funny now but happy memories.

Without wishing to demean the agony of tinnitus.

My, very elderly, Grandmother used to wear an old fashioned hearing aid. Whenever she came over for Sunday lunch the device would inevitable start whistling sometime between the main course and dessert, for some reason this would send me into that kind of giggling fit that only a 15 year old knows.

Dad would shout 'you're whistling Mother' and as she tuned back in I'd call out 'come in Tokyo'

Not that funny now but happy memories.

Same here with a very old Aunt (that wasn’t actually our Aunt).

My 3 sisters & I used to get the giggles in the same way, then instantly be told off my our parents for being disrespectful.

My mate suffers badly with tinnitus , thinks it is probably due to too many loud concerts . He now cannot bear to attend a concert/festival as it is too painful. I used to play music very loudly, particularly in the car .Fortunately I do not suffer tinnitus but I do find that my hearing has deteriorated quite a lot in the past five years or so (I am 65) , and have problems when watching tv with my wife as I constantly have to ask "what did he/she just say". One of my grandsons is with me for the day and I cannot hear half of what he is saying , so just nod my head and hope I get the general gist !
Father in law has hearing aids fitted by number 1 son. Son has provided a device to link tv with father in laws hearing aids. TV can now be on "normal" volume for others in the room and is boosted for him.

My father also has hearing loss. Despite having a good pension & money in the bank, he will not spend a penny on himself. Son has tested his hearing and he definitely needs hearing aids. He will not accept this and has his tv volume up loud. He also misses most conversations, only to start similar conversation minutes later not realising subject was discussed minutes earlier. On a similar note, when asked about his eyesight & when he last had new glasses his response is that his eyes/glasses are fine. He had an eye test & new glasses with my mother before she died - she died in 2007:doh::fail:

I help run a tinnitus support group in Birmingham (www.tinnitusbham.org.uk) - I lost my hearing in one ear when I was a child - and now have severe hearing loss in my "once good" ear. I developed tinnitus as my hearing became worse, it was so bad I took early retirement on health grounds. I now have learned to "habituate" my tinnitus but when it gets too bad I find a good blast in the E with the top down does me the world of good.

Years ago I was called to look at a heating boiler that the owner said was making a wooshing noise, but I couldn't hear anything wrong, so I cleaned and checked it to keep the old lady happy, but to no avail, I tried to say it was in her head but she wasn't convinced, so I turned off the boiler, and took her out to the garden, she could still hear it, but said she would make an appointment with her doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom