Tinting Windows (W203) :)

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by jameshaydon, Jun 22, 2011.

1. jameshaydon

jameshaydon Member

Car:
    W203 C Class
    Hi all

Thinking about tinting my windows on my w203, can anyone recommend any places in essex, or an average price of what it would be to do 4 side windows, boot, and also 2 on the roof....

advice would be appreciated from anyone who has had this done.

Many thanks,

James

2. developer

developer MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    If you do the driver/passenger windows with a dark tint expect to get regular tugs from The Bronze.

3. OP
    OP
    jameshaydon

jameshaydon Member

Car:
    W203 C Class
    am i right in sayin 30% is maximum legal darkness for the front two windows ?

thanks

james

4. lancebond

lancebond Active Member

Car:
    S203 C220 CDI
    Legally you can't put anything on the front windows.

I always thought it was 30% but i was corrected the other day by the guy who is tinting mine

5. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Whatever tint you use, when working out the total light blocked it will be in addition to the the light already filtered-out by the original window - car windows are not 100% transparent to begin with (no glass is - but especially so car glass which is usually already tinted to some extent).

So in effect you will probably not be able to add any tint to the front side windows.

Interestingly, a friend of mine who drives a black S350 CDI in Paris with diplomatic plates, told me that in France diplomatic cars can have full tinting on all side and rear windows for security reasons - and this is what he has on his S-Class.

6. OP
    OP
    jameshaydon

jameshaydon Member

Car:
    W203 C Class
    thanks guys.... does anyone know an average cost of tinting the rest of the windows except the fronts in that case please ??

thanks

7. modzi

modzi Active Member

Car:
    W164 ML 320 cdi & W220 S320
    Make sure you use a reputable tinting company.

Some cars tend to scratch the tint if not factory fitted.

As i realised at my cost with my W220!

8. modzi

modzi Active Member

Car:
    W164 ML 320 cdi & W220 S320
    I can recommend Pentagon.

A little pricey but they work on all top end marques and also have supaglass which is an anti theft tint which is smash proof.

I had it on my M3 a few years back and trust me it works.

9. petrolbrains

petrolbrains New Member

Car:
    Saab 9-3
    Yeah, I would recommend Pentagon too. If you go to the branches page on their site it will tell you if they have one in Essex (if you're still looking that it is)

Pentagon - Car Window Tinting Leeds

10. christopherwk

christopherwk Active Member

Car:
    2016 E220d SE Cavansite Blue/Macchiato Beige
    Yes, I recommend Pentagon in Reading, did mine.

11. Flash

Flash MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS 350 CDI Sport - W218 with Full AMG Styling, Bentley Conti GT
    I tinted all the windows on the CL and used Pentagon and the fronts were only a slight tint (and I mean very light) and yes I got pulled up.... thats was all they had on me as back then I was no angel - not worth the hassel and I had my front tints removed and ripped the front film off on the spot to avoid any further action - IMO don't waste your money.

12. Alps

Alps MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55 2004 Silver, E63 Weistec AMG(SOLD), E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    another one for pentagon, chadwell heath one has the best fitters, colchester one isnt that good

13. John

John Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I wish.
    As MarkJay says, the existing tint varies so 'no tint' does not always apply.

If I look at mine and then compare to other cars, it is obvious mine have a little more tint than them (but I don't know how much tint they have - maybe 5%...). As far as I know, they are factory.

However, despite your thought on it being 30%, I remember a Traffic Cops where they measured the light passing through with a meter and said what the percentage was (I seem to remember 20% but could be wrong).

Despite not being able to remember, and although it wasn't 30%, it was more than nothing albeit the total tint allowed through.

14. John

Car:
    I wish.
    You were spot on with the 30%. I thought you were wrong but I was!

I saw it in on Real Cops last night, or some such show.

So unless it has changed recently - you can put whatever tint you like on the front windows - but it must be 30% total tint or less / or let in 70% of the light.

15. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Which is what regular tinted glass allows in.

16. MB-BTurbo

MB-BTurbo Active Member

Car:
    B200 Turbo
    Pentagon quoted me £350 for the rear windows, rear quarters (very small) and the rear screen. The safety tint was around £700.

I got it done for £120 in the end. I did get what I paid for and had to go back as there were hairs stuck on. They still arent perfect if you look closely but for the price I was happy and to the everyday user you couldnt not tell the difference. I dont think I would have paid the higher price even now to be honest.

Also I went with 35% rears as the difference between nothing upfront and very dark at the back looks really bad and van like. Just my personal opinion but I think 35% offers a nice subtle tint without looking OTT.

17. John

Car:
    I wish.
    I'm leaving mine because of this.

I've had a car with 'rear privacy glass', and whilst I liked it, on a regular saloon it looks like a van as you say.

Mine is the same all round.

The only screen I would consider doing is the rear screen but it is quite tined already.

18. andavaka

andavaka Member

Car:
    W203 C180 Nat.Asp. & POLO 9N3 TDI 96KW
    I am done 35% on my 203

19. MB-BTurbo

MB-BTurbo Active Member

Car:
    B200 Turbo
    You have many degrees of tints. Itr doesnt have to look like a van if you match up the right tint to the shape of the car. 50% is a light, subtle effect that doesnt scream "Ive got tints". 35% is clear that you do but its not OTT. 20% is what most people get and above is very much privacy based and designed for Limos, Range Rovers etc.

1 person likes this.