Tinting Windows - yes or no?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E63AMG

Car
E63 AMG. MINI One.
My E63 is silver & I'm considering having the back window & rear sides tinted black.

My last car was a black E55 & that suited it, not too sure about this one with it being silver.

Any thoughts or anybody have a photo of one already done they could share please?

Thanks.

Nige

Personally I'd go for the palest tint they have to avoid the drug dealer look, and extreme mismatch with the front windows.

I had smoked on the rear 3 and light smoke on the front two on my old E55 and current E63, i had light smoke all round on my old C36, both combinations looked good.

My silver E55 has tints all round, except screen. The front side windows need replacing as they are too dark but I like the look on the rear and rear sides.
vX1T2rZ.jpg

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. I’ll post some pics up when it’s done [emoji106]

Personally I'd go for the palest tint they have to avoid the drug dealer look, and extreme mismatch with the front windows.

That would me my thinking as well.

Rear tints are great for when you’re in the car. Privacy and shade in the summer is good.

Just want to avoid looking like Ali G hahaha

Yes or No?

A big NO from me, sorry.

I may well be in a minority of one here, but I just do not like 'privacy glass' at all. To my mind, tints at best give the car an unbalanced look, as the fronts have to have a very pale tint to be legal, and at worst, a bit 'chavvy'

OK, I know the old saying, that if you can't say something positive, don't say anything, but the OP did ask for our thoughts......

Last edited:
It depends what you're wanting to achieve.

We often have bikes in the boot so it helps keep then out of sight of prying eyes. Also acts as a heat reflective layer to stop things getting too hot.

You do have to wind the windows down when going through passport control at Eurotunnel as they can't see who's in the back.

We went for the closest colour to Mercedes OEM but can't remember how much tint that was. Car is Tenorite Grey.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We had a lovely E220 in yesterday in Silver. It had black on the inside spokes of the alloys, tinted windows & black mirrors. We see lots of silver Mercs here but this one really caught my eye. It looked lovely! I have some photos for our Facebook page so will upload to there. Natacha

My silver E55 has tints all round, except screen. The front side windows need replacing as they are too dark but I like the look on the rear and rear sides.
vX1T2rZ.jpg
Looks nice Does it attract unwanted attention from plod?

my CLS55 has the factory tints darker rears and lighter fronts with I think normal screen and even then I get endless drug dealer comments from "amusing" friends

vX1T2rZ.jpg

Looks good Rog, has it been lowered? I would leave the tints as they are tbh, they look fine to me?

It has its uses that's for sure.
However my M3 had dark tints from the B pillar backwards and though it was very well done I just couldn't get on with it from a driving point of view. Somehow it irked me.
I took it all off after a couple of weeks.

^ You can't see it very well but that is the suspension on its highest setting after going over some very steep humps in Poole Park.
I've since fitted lowering links and it is possibly a little too low at the front now. I'll adjust it when the weather gets warmer.
Haven't ever had any attention from plod re the tints, but realise the fronts are not legal and must remove them at some point.

Front need raising a little?
5kIRpPy.jpg

I like tinted windows, my last car didn’t have it but my latest one has factory privacy glass. It is the estate though. I’m not so keen on retrofit tints as you can see all the heated rear window and aerial lines. It still looks good though.
c65a2a8c7f751465ec4d3d38514c489a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup do light smoked or smoked all round and defo use Pentagon.

I did light smoked on one of my E63's and the guys at Pentagon said they do smoked for Mercedes but even they agreed light smoked looked really smart.

I'm also a NO. In fact I'd pay to have privacy glass removed/deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom