Tiny parking spaces to get even tighter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't know. But balmy planning restrictions on parking provision in relation to new development imposed nationally by politicians since Two Jags Prescott, in the belief that motorists will take to public transport if they cannot find a parking space, will continue to make finding a parking space more difficult. :mad:

Sadly, im about to go into a building development that has just this theory, that seven x two bed houses requires no parkingat all... I think its madness but my wallet prevails..... Sorry.

Best practice in carparking dictates a min nowadays of 2.5 x 5...up from the previous guidance of 2.4 x 4.8. So...they will grow.

Average size of a car is bigger than before so parking needs to become bigger not smaller

TG

Sadly, im about to go into a building development that has just this theory, that seven x two bed houses requires no parkingat all... I think its madness but my wallet prevails..... Sorry.

I thought that new developments had to provide parking places. Or is this pub talk?

I thought that new developments had to provide parking places. Or is this pub talk?

Not necessarily. National planning guidelines specify maximum parking provision and discourage going beyond this. For instance, they recommend a provision of less than 2 spaces a dwelling in new residential development! However, some local authorities publish their own parking standards that require a certain level of parking provision, within the national guidelines. So, it depends where you live. :confused:

You'd think they could coordinate their planning and standardise on one size, wouldn't you? Then again... ;)

I saw this today:

Tiny parking spaces to get even tighter

What does the panel here think...parking spaces will grow or shrink?

I think if i got back to my car with that thing landed beside me i would be waiting for his/her return so my hand could have a quiet word with his/her earole!:thumb:

Tony.

I've measured some of our local car parks...using Google earth rather than a tape measure! In general they are 2.4 x 5, but Ikea uses the new standard of 2.5 x 5.

I've measured some of our local car parks...using Google earth rather than a tape measure! In general they are 2.4 x 5, but Ikea uses the new standard of 2.5 x 5.

You should try a Costco car park, pure bliss as they use the U.S. norm of angled parking bays with "door" space marked out.

Makes it a pleasure returning to your vehicle knowing there will be NO dinks left by errant mums/kids/knob heads.

You should try a Costco car park, pure bliss as they use the U.S. norm of angled parking bays with "door" space marked out.

Makes it a pleasure returning to your vehicle knowing there will be NO dinks left by errant mums/kids/knob heads.

Beat me to it! Agreed, Costco parking is the best, even though at our local they are not angled and no door space marked out...just HUGE!

Won't that limit your market?

I certainly wouldn't entertain buying a property without parking at all so would rule them out.

Not everyone has a car, sure, but how many people require no parking at all?

Average size of a car is bigger than before so parking needs to become bigger not smaller

TG
Unlike our friends in the US of A, their cars are getting smaller, I envied their huge parking spaces :thumb:

Maybe we need to create a petition on the .gov.uk website to ask for the Costco parking space sizes etc to be rolled out nationwide...then again, for a fixed size car park, it would reduce the number of cars able to park.

The Gateshead Metro Centre car multi-storey car parks are pretty good. Each space is separated by a yellow strip about 0.3 metres wide so d*ck-head door-bashers are are kept at bay. Pity there's nothing to do but shop after you have parked your car.:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom