Tip Function

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
This problem may well be one of the operator not fully understanding what this feature does but here goes. There are times, when, because of RPM and road speed, that I know I am in what would be fifth (auto). I attempt to 'Tip' to fourth and so on by briefly applying left pressure to the shift selector and nothing will happen; I do it again this time with a bit more pressure and again nothing will happpen; I carry on again untill the pressure I am applying seems very dissproportionate (spelling?) for what I am trying to acheive and also by now, because of this excess pressure, the movement of the shift lever is left plus a bit of North / South thrown in then, suddenly, I get fourth.

Frome here on I can get third or second or whatever I want with much less pressure, in fact very little pressure. Coming back up the box is not, and never has been, a problem. Also, once this initial reluctance to shift down has been overcome it 'Tips' quite happily.

It all seems to me that there maybe a micro switch somewhere under the gaiter. Is there?, do they get mucky?, faulty?. The car is still in warranty but is it something I could check easily or is it best left to a Techy?

Thanks

Portzy.

The function should work smoothly. There is obviously a problem here. Don't try and fix it yourself if it's under warranty - it looks like the switch needs replacing.

Phil

Result.

I Called in to a little used dealership and they were very obliging. They looked at it straight away and fixed it. I dont know what they did but it took about half an hour and now it shifts down with the mearest of effort so I might be a bit more enthusiastic about using it more often now. :D

Portzy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom