Tipping grocery delivery drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
We’re very recent converts to home delivery of our grocery shopping, and I have to say we have been very impressed by Ocado, and specifically how lovely the delivery drivers are.

I would normally tip takeaway food delivery drivers - and other people who visit us at home like tradespeople, window cleaners, gardeners, etc - but would not tip a courier or non-food delivery driver.

It feels odd to offer the a tip but I don’t feel comfortable not offering them a tip at all as they’re so lovely. I’m unsure on the correct etiquette - what do you do?

Never tipped a food delivery driver and we have been using home delivery for over 20 years, first with Tesco but since about 2005 we have been with Ocado. Ocado drivers get a pretty good pay, my son worked for them about 2 years ago, much better than I suspect takeaway food delivery drivers get.

We’re very recent converts to home delivery of our grocery shopping, and I have to say we have been very impressed by Ocado, and specifically how lovely the delivery drivers are.

I would normally tip takeaway food delivery drivers - and other people who visit us at home like tradespeople, window cleaners, gardeners, etc - but would not tip a courier or non-food delivery driver.

It feels odd to offer the a tip but I don’t feel comfortable not offering them a tip at all as they’re so lovely. I’m unsure on the correct etiquette - what do you do?
Mrs Ant leaves an envelope in the last empty Tesco crate that the driver collects from the front door. Nice and discreet for both parties.

just a little something to show appreciation. 😊

Mrs Ant leaves an envelope in the last empty Tesco crate that the driver collects from the front door. Nice and discreet for both parties.

We don’t really have much need for cash in the house so I may need to get some cash in appropriate denominations. Your envelope idea is perfect 👌🏻

Never tipped a food delivery driver and we have been using home delivery for over 20 years, first with Tesco but since about 2005 we have been with Ocado. Ocado drivers get a pretty good pay, my son worked for them about 2 years ago, much better than I suspect takeaway food delivery drivers get.
I’m not sure I’ve ever tipped someone based on their earnings. I tip if/when I’m happy with the service they give.

We don’t really have much need for cash in the house so I may need to get some cash in appropriate denominations. Your envelope idea is perfect 👌🏻
Who mentioned cash Rob? Read my post again. 👍

😁

I’m not sure I’ve ever tipped someone based on their earnings. I tip if/when I’m happy with the service they give.
Maybe not you but I think most people tip those that provide good service who are on low pay. If you only tip for good service you could end up tipping constantly. I can think of numerous occasions where I have had good service provided by someone earning mega money.

Who mentioned cash Rob? Read my post again. 👍

😁
You should check what’s in there Ant. It might be a letter along these lines:

“Get help quickly, he’s holding me here against my will. He bought me to this remote place from my home in Manchester and I have no idea where I am. He’s doing terrible things to me, like making me research online purchases all of my waking hours. Save me, please save me!

Obviously if it’s a note from a lady then it will of course end with the obligatory “x”, even strangers get a “x” at the end of every message 😁

You should check what’s in there Ant. It might be a letter along these lines:

“Get help quickly, he’s holding me here against my will. He bought me to this remote place from my home in Manchester and I have no idea where I am. He’s doing terrible things to me, like making me research online purchases all of my waking hours. Save me, please save me!

Obviously if it’s a note from a lady then it will of course end with the obligatory “x”, even strangers get a “x” at the end of every message 😁
Haha. Love it Rob. Xx

A tip of the toe is the most satisfying tip 🤣

My daughter sadly worked on cruise ships, I say sadly because just like the great majority of the crews of these ships, she was laid off. I am saying this because to tide her over, she took a job delivering take-away foods. I certainly would not describe this work as being 'underpaid' and some drivers work for maybe two companies, so if your order is not hot, then guess what??

When the church passes around the collection box, I believe in offering a very large tip. I throw £10 up in the air..... What God wants, God takes, what comes down, I keep!!!

Sorry to hear of your daughters change of circumstances
I take it she is watching the four in the bay at the moment with longing eyes.....

I have never tipped a delivery driver but now feel bad about it, not sure if I will change though.

Robin

Sorry to hear of your daughters change of circumstances
I take it she is watching the four in the bay at the moment with longing eyes.....
duplicate :(

You will be unable to tip all the delivery drivers that call to your home .
I have all our food and other items from Sainsburys .So the last shop we have on Christmas gets a £10 tip

You will be unable to tip all the delivery drivers that call to your home .
I have all our food and other items from Sainsburys .So the last shop we have on Christmas gets a £10 tip
I wouldn’t tip a courier, to be fair they’re usually back in the van and gone by the time I answer the door.

Our grocery delivery people are in a different league of friendliness and helpfulness - and have been different each time - and this is what made me question whether I should tip. I’ll ask the next driver what other cyst some ta do and whether they’re allowed to accept tips.

One thing I have noticed is that many grocery delivery drivers want to stop and talk about our cars. Maybe it’s because their trucks are Mercedes too!

I wouldn’t tip a courier, to be fair they’re usually back in the van and gone by the time I answer the door.
We don't tend to tip couriers but having gotten familiar with the same ones over the years we do offer them a drink (although not currently with the pandemic). Some used to accept, especially during the summer when a nice cold glass of juice/water was needed.

Must be something I got from my dad. I have funny memories of him inviting in Jehovah's Witnesses for a cuppa. He'd talk their socks off, hardly leaving a gap in the conversation for them to speak. When they stud up to leave, he'd insist they stay for another brew. Mum used to go mad at him. They never seemed to knock on a second time. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom