Tips for places to drive/see in Devon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
We are heading down to a place called Goveton/Kingsbridge for a wedding and will be leaving to come back on Sunday mid morning.. any interesting places we should stop off at on the way?

hopefully the weather will be nice for some top down motoring.

If you're looking for somewhere to eat on your way back I can highly recommend The Nobody Inn in Doddiscombsleigh. Whisky and cheese menus are extensive. I imagine you'll have to book as it's often quite busy

The Nobody Inn [ Home ]

Totnes is also quite a pretty village, or it was when I lived in the area 1996-1999.

Well, where do you start?

The weather looks good, so my favourite would be Dartmoor - Postbridge or Two Bridges are both postcard type places, with pubs! Postbridge would be less of a detour for you.

Dartmouth is good - not far from where you are going, but a bit of a pain to get to.

Wherever you end up, enjoy Devon - its brilliant!

We are heading down to a place called Goveton/Kingsbridge for a wedding and will be leaving to come back on Sunday mid morning.. any interesting places we should stop off at on the way?

hopefully the weather will be nice for some top down motoring.

Pop in and see GloJo he always makes you welcome !

:)If you've got all afternoon on Sunday go to Dartmouth, take a boat trip to Totnes...bus to Paignton...steam train back to Dartmouth. All one ticket!Very much recommended

Google times as it's tide dependent

Takes under 4 hrs to get home from there

Dartmouth Steam Railway and River Boat Company

Dartmouth Tourist Information

Alternatively visit Slimbridge off the M5 for a more liesurely break

Have a nice weekend :)

thanks for all the suggestions guys... not this weekend though, next weekend...

The boat idea looks fantastic, but £550 is a bit too much for a sunday out.

keep em coming!

Burgh Island and Bigbury
Salcombe
Torcross and Slapton Ley
Blackpool Sands
Dartmouth

Take your pick - the South Hams is a great area - so many nice places closeby.

We'll be there ourselves in the Summer.

thanks for all the suggestions guys... not this weekend though, next weekend...

Ahh, that might make a difference. The forecast this Sunday is great but anything can happen to the weather in a week.
The boat idea looks fantastic, but £550 is a bit too much for a sunday out.
This is a bit cheaper and the price is for seven people sharing. There must be a cheaper rib ride option. The guys in Plymouth only charge £12 a head. There must be something similar in Salcombe. Perhaps e-mail The Salcombe lot and ask if they know of anyone? Four hours on a rib is way too much; an hour would be plenty.

When in South Devon, you must visit:

Burgh Island - The Great Escape

Go for lunch, or even just a walk around (but check the tide times).

There is a pub on the Island too:

The Pilchard Inn

Sunday lunch at Burgh Island Hotel is World Class...but not the pub:cool:

No probs with the tide as the Hotel has a land crab ferry. Quite an experience
Difficult to get to though. I would still recommend the round trip from Dartmouth ( or Totnes or Paignton...see itinery)

We had a nice few days in Salcombe recently.
There are loads of nice places to see round there.

Hope you have good weather.

Well after leaving our hotel, the Buckland Tout Saints (in the middle of nowhere) we headed for blackpool sands... this is just a beach so we left and headed to Dartmouth... then over the ferry bridge and basically just carried on along the cost stopping at various places.. torbay, torquay, babbacombe etc... then back on the M5 and home...

Nice afternoon with the roof down..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom