Tire pressure in W124 E220

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by sub_zero, Dec 23, 2008.

1. sub_zero

sub_zero Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124 E220 1995
    Hi all,
    I have replaced my tires yesterday,I went for MAXXIS 195/65R15-91H-MAP1.
    The workshop inflated the tires to 35 bar pressure!!!:confused:,which was weird to me,I asked them why? the recommended pressure for this car is written at the fuel door and it is 29 bar,one guy replied immediately with confidence:sir,this is in Germany not here!!!!. I didn't buy what he said,but I didn't reply.
    While driving with the new tires,the steering became much lighter and even the car became much lighter.Is this normal?
    I have replaced the tires before and I know what is the feeling with new tires,but this time the car is very light I believe due to the tire pressure change.
    What do you think guys?
    I'm thinking of going to any fuel station and adjust the pressure to 29 bar again as said the factory.
    One more question,if I went for 205/60R15,would it be the same pressure the factory stated which is 29 bar?
    Thanks guys.

2. John Kerr

John Kerr Active Member

Car:
    W209 CLK 220CDI Sport
    I think you mean 29psi. 29 bar and your tyre would explode.I would follow the instructions on the door post.If your steering is light sounds like your pressures are too high.

3. OP
    OP
    sub_zero

sub_zero Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124 E220 1995
    sorry, I meant psi

4. MangoMan

MangoMan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2000 W220 S500. 366U Azurite Blue. 264A Saffron Leather. Factory Shell Modification For AMG-Wheels
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  5. c240yaz

c240yaz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

If running with no passengers and an empty boot, I always lower the rears by at least 4 psi.

It helps prevent them going bald in the middle of the tread, and no noticeable difference in handling.