Tire Pressure ML W163?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dee James

Car
2003 ML 270
Hi All,

i have just bought a 2003 ML270 and the steering feels slightly vague, like the side wall is slightly flexing before any steering takes place rather than a mechanical feeling if that makes sense. I`m going to check the pressures as soon as i get a chance but in the meanwhile does anyone have any advice as to the best setting for a car used on the road and never for towing? The tires are 275x60x17

cheers in advance

Check you handbook or fuel filler flap for MB suggested settings.

that`s what i`m going to do when i check them, i just wondered if there was differing opinions on this

There will be!

Start with the recommended as a reference point and change them to suit.

I've had a look and the details on the filler cap say 32 but nothing about tire size so I will start with that

I've had a look and the details on the filler cap say 32 but nothing about tire size so I will start with that

i've got 275/55 R17s on my ml500 - i normally put 38psi in all round. 32 is probably way too low!!

i went to a wheel alignment place and they recommended 40, but said dont ever go below 36 with such a high sidewall.

275/60s will have an even higher sidewall, so you probably want higher rather than lower.

were 275/60's a standard size on the w163? i thought ml270 tyres were (by default) thinner than the ml500.

i use 255/60 winter tyres, and put 38 in them as well. hope that helps!

frog1520 said:
i've got 275/55 R17s on my ml500 - i normally put 38psi in all round. 32 is probably way too low!! i went to a wheel alignment place and they recommended 40, but said dont ever go below 36 with such a high sidewall. 275/60s will have an even higher sidewall, so you probably want higher rather than lower. were 275/60's a standard size on the w163? i thought ml270 tyres were (by default) thinner than the ml500. i use 255/60 winter tyres, and put 38 in them as well. hope that helps!

I stand corrected, mine are 55 not 60, the tire place I went to said my ML was supposed to have 275's the handbook says 255 or 275 depending on the wheel, to be honest I'm not sure if mine are 8 or 8and a half inch so you may well be right and the tire place wrong. In the end I put 39 in all round (they had 37-38 back to front) and I shall see how that goes

Dee James said:
Hi All, i have just bought a 2003 ML270 and the steering feels slightly vague, like the side wall is slightly flexing before any steering takes place rather than a mechanical feeling if that makes sense. I`m going to check the pressures as soon as i get a chance but in the meanwhile does anyone have any advice as to the best setting for a car used on the road and never for towing? The tires are 275x60x17 cheers in advance

I did of course mean tyre rather than tire, auto correct strikes again

my 275's are on 8 1/2 wheels, and the 255 winters are on 8.

if theyre standard wheels, i you can tell the difference between the 8 and 8 1/2s without taking them off - i think they look slightly different. I'll have a look at mine tomorrow when its stopped raining...

frog1520 said:
my 275's are on 8 1/2 wheels, and the 255 winters are on 8. if theyre standard wheels, i you can tell the difference between the 8 and 8 1/2s without taking them off - i think they look slightly different. I'll have a look at mine tomorrow when its stopped raining...

I'm not 100% on what size mine are so that would be really helpful thanks you

here are the pictures of the 8 and 8 1/2" wheels - they look quite different!

first pic is the 8" ones, and the 2nd pic is the 8 1/2" (on the car)

hope that helps!

Attachments

• 20141104_114431.jpg
    20141104_114431.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20141105_131540.jpg
    20141105_131540.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 8
frog1520 said:
here are the pictures of the 8 and 8 1/2" wheels - they look quite different! first pic is the 8" ones, and the 2nd pic is the 8 1/2" (on the car) hope that helps!

Very helpful, mine are 8" so what I have are wrong

My ML has the 8 1/2 inch wheels, with a MB recommended psi of 32 all round (based on 2 passengers, no luggage.)

If they're any lower than that, the steering is very vague, and I generally run at 36 all round to allow for a full boot or extra passengers - although the car handles fine at 33 if driver only.

With a 2003 car, you are probably leaking air from a poor seal between tyre and rim - I found this from about 7 years old - a decent tyre place can wire brush + clean / seal the rims to solve this. Apparently the corrosion is caused by TFR at car washes…

If you don't resolve this you will be pumping air into the tyres every week. Expect to pay about £20 a corner.

Even when correct, the steering will still feel slightly vague - it's an off-roader with deep sidewalls, not a saloon car with low profile tyres. Whenever I get into my ML after driving my C class I feel quite disconcerted by the change - but the C class always feel lovely and sharp when I get back into it.

Last edited:
My ML has the 8 1/2 inch wheels, with a MB recommended psi of 32 all round (based on 2 passengers, no luggage.)

If they're any lower than that, the steering is very vague, and I generally run at 36 all round to allow for a full boot or extra passengers - although the car handles fine at 33 if driver only.

With a 2003 car, you are probably leaking air from a poor seal between tyre and rim - I found this from about 7 years old - a decent tyre place can wire brush + clean / seal the rims to solve this. Apparently the corrosion is caused by TFR at car washes…

If you don't resolve this you will be pumping air into the tyres every week. Expect to pay about £20 a corner.

Even when correct, the steering will still feel slightly vague - it's an off-roader with deep sidewalls, not a saloon car with low profile tyres. Whenever I get into my ML after driving my C class I feel quite disconcerted by the change - but the C class always feel lovely and sharp when I get back into it.

the pressure does n`t appear to be leaking - i set it at 39 a couple of days ago and it does feel a bit better. I expected a bit of vagueness - as you rightly say it`s a 4x4 with big tyres but now i know my wheels should use a 255 tyre rather than a 275 that extra size certainly won`t be helping . . .

I`m going to go back to the part worn tyre place tell them it didn`t feel right and that the tyres they recommended are too big and hopefully get them to change them for the correct 255`s for the moment with an eye to going for some 235/65/17`s

Once you get your tyres sorted. You can always verify the tyre pressures for a given load by doing a rudimentary chalk test. On a dry day on dry Tarmac, get a piece of chalk and draw a line across the tyres. Drive a couple of hundred yards and check the line. If the wear is even across the tyre it's ok, if more in the centre, let some air out. If more on the edges put some more air in.

cheers, Steve

Once you get your tyres sorted. You can always verify the tyre pressures for a given load by doing a rudimentary chalk test. On a dry day on dry Tarmac, get a piece of chalk and draw a line across the tyres. Drive a couple of hundred yards and check the line. If the wear is even across the tyre it's ok, if more in the centre, let some air out. If more on the edges put some more air in.

cheers, Steve

a handy tip that Steve, will hopefully give me a bit of an idea if i need the alignment done as well . . . :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom