Tire pressure monitoring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

motorway

Car
W124 230CE
Hi all.
a few weeks ago i posted a question regarding using 18inch wheels from a w212 on my w213 estate for winter wheels. last week i found some advertised close to home, they were from a 2016 C class estate 18inch AMG wheels MB part numbers A2054011100 / A2054011200. tried them on the car and they fit well with clearance around the brakes.

the question is... on my w213 estate i have the valves with the Tire Pressure monitoring system, the 18inch wheels also have similar looking valves in the wheels. will the valves in the 18inch wheels talk to the system in the car? or will i need to get hold of some valves from 19inch Amg wheels to make the car happy.

i suppose one way to test would be to put 2 of the 18inch wheels on the front and drive it for a while and see if the tire pressure light comes on the dash?

second question... i have bought a westfalia detachable towbar to fit, in the instructions it says to remove the rear light clusters to remove the rear bumper. is this needed as this would need to have most of the boot trim removed to get the rear lights out. seen an online video of a w213 with the rear bumper removed to fit a new parking sensor, but it still had the rear light clusters in place.

thnks in advance for any help / advice offered

You won't know until you try it but the valves should work. They are not related to the size of the wheel or tyre.
e.g. my summer wheels are 18" and my winters are 17". Same TPMS valve in both. I swap the wheels over, drive for 10 minutes or so to "wake up" the new valves and they work fine.

You won't know until you try it but the valves should work. They are not related to the size of the wheel or tyre.
e.g. my summer wheels are 18" and my winters are 17". Same TPMS valve in both. I swap the wheels over, drive for 10 minutes or so to "wake up" the new valves and they work fine.

Well. i put 2 of the wheels on the front of the car yesterday and they fit and cleared the brake caliper OK. however i drove it for 30 miles overall and after 6 miles the TPMS light it up and said Wheel sensors missing. re-fitted the original wheels and the fault cleared within a mile of driving. I had to go to the dealers this morning for a part they had ordered in for the w124 so asked the question whilst there. service dept seemed to think there was a difference in frequency on the sensors fitted to the ones in the 18" wheels, they thought that if i got new sensors they should work but "May" need coding to the car?. but i was able to get a part number out of them for the correct ones. but they want £165.00+VAT for 4 in a pack which is less than buying in singles. the guy in Parts dept said they should be plug and play no need for coding?. but i have a genuine set on order from the internet, so will possibly fit two myself when they arrive so should be able to see who is right. will post back with the results later.

That's a shame. Maybe the batteries have gone in them?
£165 + VAT sounds about right for a set of OEM ones.

That's a shame. Maybe the batteries have gone in them?
£165 + VAT sounds about right for a set of OEM ones.

I did think about Batteries, do you know what type of battery they take?. as when the new ones arrive and i have swapped them if it is battery failure i will replace and offer them for sale and let someone make use of them.

I did think about Batteries, do you know what type of battery they take?. as when the new ones arrive and i have swapped them if it is battery failure i will replace and offer them for sale and let someone make use of them.
They are a sealed unit, so you can't replace the battery.

If they need coding, check for YouTube about coding TPMS. The wireless tools used measure (guesstimate) remaining battery life, and allows you to copy the code on the existing sensor and set the new sensor to that code.

This relies on the new sensor being capable of being coded, and of the correct frequency to talk to the car.

I have fitted TPMS valves to three different cars - MB (2015), BMW (2017) and Suzuki (2014). None needed coding. I know some older systems do, but I would be amazed if a W213 does. They only started making them in 2017!

TPMS valves are indeed sold as sealed systems, but I have seen "enthusiastic Youtubers" change the batteries with a sharp knife and a lot of patience. :D

I have fitted TPMS valves to three different cars - MB (2015), BMW (2017) and Suzuki (2014). None needed coding.
Some systems are auto-pairing. Some need coding. Coding is a case of 'copying' the data from the old sensor.
It's usually the OEM/aftermarket sensors that need coding if they're not specifically auto-pairing.
I don't know if MB systems are auto-pairing, or if purchased from dealers they come pre-coded to the car. Can anyone help the Op out with this?

I change the wheels on my W205 twice a year, never had to touch the TPMS, it just works as normal everytime after 10 minutes.

I change the wheels on my W205 twice a year, never had to touch the TPMS, it just works as normal everytime after 10 minutes.

Exactly the same for me. This is using genuine MB sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom