TMC not working on UMI navigation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calja03

Car
C220 CDi Sport Estate
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, so hopefully someone can help with my dilemma. I have a 2008 C220 estate and recently had the UMI unit fitted. After a couple of teething problems were sorted, I still don't appear to be able to receive TMC messages. The option is permantly greyed out in the navi menu. The dealer assures me that everything that should be switched on, is switched on.

According to the manual, the TMC option is only active when there are messages being broadcast, but I find it hard to believe that there hasn't been a single message in the last two weeks when I live close to the M3, M4 & M25. My previous car showed plenty.

I have the 'latest' Navigation 20 software with all the enhancements, but no TMC. As it took the dealer a couple of attempts to set it up (originally, there wasn't a Navi option in the instrument cluster) I'm wondering if there's something else they've missed.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Does UMI set any restrictions on the radio channel selection? Perhaps you have to tune the radio to a channel that broadcasts TMC?

Hi Diesel,

There doesn't appear to be a way to select a channel (other than tune to Classic FM). I don't know if there's a hidden set up menu in there somewhere. After installation, the sat nav was set up to accept German addresses (easily changed) and the units were metric rather than Imperial (again, easily changed). I was half wondering if it may be trying to pick up a German signal.

The factory fitted system in my last car (a Mondeo) worked fine so I'm really puzzled with this.

I would not worry too much! TMC took my off my route twice yesterday, both times into even longer and slower jams than the one I had left!

Yes, but at least you've got something to argue with..

Hi Diesel,

There doesn't appear to be a way to select a channel (other than tune to Classic FM). I don't know if there's a hidden set up menu in there somewhere. After installation, the sat nav was set up to accept German addresses (easily changed) and the units were metric rather than Imperial (again, easily changed). I was half wondering if it may be trying to pick up a German signal.

The factory fitted system in my last car (a Mondeo) worked fine so I'm really puzzled with this.

A German MB driving in the UK should (and would) get TMC info too. Perhaps TMC is not supported by the current UMI release? Have you seen other UMI/Navigation 20 owners being successful with TMC?

A German MB driving in the UK should (and would) get TMC info too. Perhaps TMC is not supported by the current UMI release? Have you seen other UMI/Navigation 20 owners being successful with TMC?
A friend of mine has it and he gets messages OK. According to the manual, it should be there too.

I had read somewhere that older units didn't have TMC so it didn't matter which version of the software is installed.

I'm due for a service in a week or two, so I'll see what they have to say then.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim

A friend of mine has it and he gets messages OK. According to the manual, it should be there too.

I had read somewhere that older units didn't have TMC so it didn't matter which version of the software is installed.

I'm due for a service in a week or two, so I'll see what they have to say then.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim

Some of the early UMI kits didnt support 7 digit postcode either.

My suggestion would be to see what the dealer says and complain it doesnt have the full functionality as per the manual. Suggest to them that they update it to the Navigation-20 product which is done via a DVD update.

Hi Alfie,

I've got full 7 digit post-code support, the reality view, lane view, country info and the ability to enter a destination from the map. However, I can't pick up TMC messages.

I did come across a posting (which I now can't find) that told how to access a menu that's not mentioned in the manual. (Holding down the back-up, control wheel and 'c' button simultaneously). Everything looks OK there, and I've managed to adjust the iPod volume so that I don't deafen myself when I switch back to the radio.

If I try the same three buttons whilst in this menu, I get to a pasword protected 'Engineering' menu, but I've no idea how to get beyond that. There's no indication as to how many digits are required, so I've left that bit well alone.

Everything else looks to be the new Navigation 20 spec, so hopefully there's just a simple setting to change.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Jim

my UMI is it a odd case

my w204 2008 with umi , my umi displays on cluster but it shows directions the wrong way round every roundabout ! i also dont have full post code search , do i need a update ?

Hi ainslie4433.

I have a C220CDI sport - I had the UMI installed from new, and initially my round-a-bouts were the wrong way round like yours. I had to take it back for a software update, but my dealer (milton keynes) did this free of charge.

I was convinced I could only enter 4 digit postcodes too - but the car returned from a service yesterday and I asked them about this. They claimed to have "refreshed the firmware" and now I find that when I enter the navigation destination (via "address") I can enter a 7 digit postcode by clicking the leftmost symbol at the bottom (rather than postcode). To me this symbol looks like a crown, but I'm not exactly sure what it is.

I'm not 100% sure if this option was there before the dealer updated yesterday, but what I can say is that if I click the "postcode" option I can still only enter 4 digits... odd eh!

The nav. software is pretty poor by modern standards, I recently got an Android phone with Google maps and navigation and it makes my UMI system look like something out of the 1970's!!!

Last edited:
That crown thing was normal behavour for the UK Variant of the UMI. There were different variants of UMI for "Europe", UK and France - I think this was due to different licencing payments made for TMC and post code database. Crown thing was only there on UK variant.

Then came the Navigation 20 where there is only 1 European version which I assume supports everything and that they sorted out licence payments.

UMI can be updated to Navigation 20 software and 2009/2010 maps using this:

Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: Mercedes Navigation Disks :: UMI & Navigation 20 Map Update 2009/2010

Richard

But the update is £200!!! I can't see that it gives me any more?

Yours sounds like it has been updated already.

However, as roads change and software gets improved the updates wont be done by the dealer for free sadly.

Thats what Mercedes charge for a new set of 'european' maps ! (in fact they charge more ...) - this always kicks of the 'but Tom Tom Euro maps are much cheaper' why is Mercedes so expensive discussion :)

Cheers

Richard

I suspect 'ainslee' could do with this as his car is 2008 ..

Hi ainslie4433.

I have a C220CDI sport - I had the UMI installed from new, and initially my round-a-bouts were the wrong way round like yours. I had to take it back for a software update, but my dealer (milton keynes) did this free of charge.

I was convinced I could only enter 4 digit postcodes too - but the car returned from a service yesterday and I asked them about this. They claimed to have "refreshed the firmware" and now I find that when I enter the navigation destination (via "address") I can enter a 7 digit postcode by clicking the leftmost symbol at the bottom (rather than postcode). To me this symbol looks like a crown, but I'm not exactly sure what it is.

I'm not 100% sure if this option was there before the dealer updated yesterday, but what I can say is that if I click the "postcode" option I can still only enter 4 digits... odd eh!

The nav. software is pretty poor by modern standards, I recently got an Android phone with Google maps and navigation and it makes my UMI system look like something out of the 1970's!!!
It's the crown symbol that gives the full 7 digit postcodes. The 'Postcode' box is quite limited.

Its worth adding that there was a software update issues early in the life of the UMI, but no dealer I could find knew how to install it or what it did.

I now suspect it corrected the round-about direction !!

Richard

I'm hoping to get to the bottom of the lack of TMC messages next week (or at least the dealer is). If it gets resolved, I'll post the solution.

From reading other posts, my money is on the unit being an old one without the TMC receiver.

Fingers crossed......

Tmc/umi

I had UMI put into a year old C230 Sport in January 2009 and initially NO TMC reports came through just 'no messages' on the screen. I was told that an update changing this wouldn't be available until end 2009 although in the meantime they put the postcode update date in free of charge which also (surprisingly) also brought in TMC messages albeit inconsistently (either messages would be there or the 'no messages' would appear. I've just put in the latest update which is not cheap and now have all sorts of wonderful graphics and updated maps but even more inconsistent TMC. Sometimes it works but other times the box is greyed out and there seems no pattern to any of it (changed radio stations, setup etc.). I'm waiting for replies from Merc UK and TMC but based on comments from the salesman who sold it to me (!) I'm getting the distinct impression this UMI unit is a dog from a Nav/Traf point of view and is mainly useful for connecting media such as i-pods etc. Wished they'd told me that 18 months and £1,100 ago.

Hi Len,

As a nav unit, it's not too bad. A little bit clunky after years of using a Tom Tom, but I didn't want a freestanding unit. On the plus side, the iPod connectivity is excellent (and the USB connection).

Mine was fitted a few weeks ago and I've never had a single TMC message - not even 'No Messages'. The TMC option is permanently greyed out. Hopefully the dealer will have got to the bottom of it and will fix it next week (though I'm not holding my breath).

Cheers,

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom