Tmc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timk

Car
VW Passat Alltrack, E39 BMW M5, Mercedes C55 AMG Wagon
The Comand unit in my C55 tells me permanently that it has no TMC reception. Any ideas what is wrong?

Don't know much about TMC but isn't it supposed to adapt the satnav to route you around congestion etc??

Which version DVD have you got? It only works from V6.3 onwards

What station is your radio tuned to? As I understand it you need to be tuned to Classic FM as this is the only station providing the TMC data.

What station is your radio tuned to? As I understand it you need to be tuned to Classic FM as this is the only station providing the TMC data.

Therer are twin tuners in that model - it just works in the background.

Therer are twin tuners in that model - it just works in the background.

Is that the same for the NTG2.5?

Does this just work in the background without any subscription charge or anything?

Is that the same for the NTG2.5?

Does this just work in the background without any subscription charge or anything?

I don't know for certain, but would assume so.

There's no subscription. Not sure if the licence fee is paid by MB on the unit, or of it's built in to the price of the DVDs / software updates.

The TMC operators charge a fee for each CD/DVD or presumably each HDD installation. This is the reason the BBC refuse to carry the data on their national networks.

There are currently 2 providers of tmc data in the uk - ITIS and trafficmaster. Currently mercedes have signed up with ITIS who broadcast tmc data alongside classic fm and other broadcasters (list and reception coverage can be found on their website. The carrier is lower in strength than the radio channel and hence reception in certain areas can be patchy.

The ntg2.5 and other makes all have dual tuners so that u don't have to listen to classic fm. Liscene is included within the price of the map data.

Excellent, thanks.

Now I just need somewhere to go. :D

Which version DVD have you got? It only works from V6.3 onwards

Ahh, I've got version 2.2...

I'm assuming that's the original one that came with the car in 2005.

Better tune it to Classic FM then, and see what happens. I'm not averse to a bit of Mozza now and then..

Better tune it to Classic FM then, and see what happens. I'm not averse to a bit of Mozza now and then..

I think mine (Oct 04 model) came with V2 too.

You need to get at least V6.3 to get TMC. Latest is, I think V11, but apparently there aren't great changes in the mapping.

you don't need to tune to classic fm, but you do need updated disks.

I think the first version that supported TMC was V6.2, although version 6.3 is more stable.
These earlier versions can be bought for around £30-40 secondhand, although be sure you are buying a genuine, original disk. Copies are unreliable.
I believe the latest current version is V11, and the cheapest place to buy this AFAIK is from these guys......
Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: Mercedes Navigation Disks :: Comand APS Map DVD Europe 2009/2010 (V11.0) for A,B,W203 C,CLK,ML,R,GL, Sprinter, Viano, Vito

You are correct. Enabling the dynamic TMC function will check your set route and if it finds a bad hold-up, will automatically re-direct you (wherever possible), around the hold-up and hopefully save you journey time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom