TMPS Sensor - Replacement Under MB Extended Warranty ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m.p.rogers

Car
C250 CDI Estate (S204)
Hi,

My 2014 S204 has flagged a Tyre Pressure Sensor Monitor Inoperative warning on the dash, which in turn has flagged an ABS and ESP warning.

I have Mercedes Benz Extended Warranty cover on the car but believe these sensors contain a battery in them, batteries are not covered under the warranty.

Anyone got any experience in whether MB extended warranty will replace, rather not pay a diagnostic fee only to be told they are not covered - local MB garage won't commit either way when I rang.

Thanks

It's consumables, like wipers. Not a warranty item.

On the W/S204 isn't the Tyre Pressure Monitoring system driven by the ABS sensors rather than individual battery operated sensors on the wheels?

You may be right.

I've just given MB Warranty a call, didn't expect them to confirm either way - but they confirmed they are covered.

Thanks for your responses.

On the W/S204 isn't the Tyre Pressure Monitoring system driven by the ABS sensors rather than individual battery operated sensors on the wheels?

There are two options.

The basic TPMS is indeed using the ABS/ESP to work-out if one wheel is rotating slower than the others. But because there are no TPMS sensors in the wheels, the basic TPMS system does not know what the actual pressures are - it only knows if one tyre is less-inflated compared to the others.

The optional 'high-end' TPMS system uses sensors inside the wheel, which send pressure (and temp) data to the console via RF, so the driver can actually see what the current pressures are. This system can also warn the driver if the pressures are outside of a given range (i.e. not just if one tyre becomes deflated).

A TPMS system (of any description) was originally mandatory only for cars fitted with runflats, but has became mandatory for all new cars sold in tbe EU as of 2012.

I'd guess that as the OP's car has thrown an ABS & ESP warning also, it's an Indirect system and its an ABS sensor issue. I wouldn't mind betting the OP's cruise control isn't working either.

See also:

198274d1292364182-does-your-c63-have-tpms-display-tpms.jpg

Yeah, definitely the basic version on my car - doesn't give temp or pressure stats, only a warning.

Hopefully just a duff wheel speed sensor

I've used Autel sensors to replace MB items on my 2013 E63 when I had it, can buy a whole set and the programming pad for the cost of a genuine sensor, worth a look. batteries last between 5-8 years so you will find the rest will start failing one by one. check Ebay.

I replaced with genuine items on my w211 e55 when I had it, but there were no alternatives on the market then...

Hopefully just a duff wheel speed sensor
Common problem apparently on the 204 platform. Both fronts failed within about 500 miles of each other on mine at just under 50K miles. My local Indy carries the front sensors on his mobile works van as a matter of course. I asked him about the rears - "never had to change one" was his response.

I'd guess that as the OP's car has thrown an ABS & ESP warning also, it's an Indirect system and its an ABS sensor issue. I wouldn't mind betting the OP's cruise control isn't working either.

As above.

It's likely that the TPMS is inoperative due to the failure of the ABS/ESP system (and not the other way around).

These systems are very sensitive to low voltage, but on the premise that the battery is in good condition and fully charged, a trip to the dealer to diagnose the fault under warranty is the next step.

Following

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom