To all S Class Owners - Do you sometimes feel its "too Much"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB8701

Car
2007 Mercedes S320 W221 AMG Kit
Hi Guys,

I rarely ever feel this way about a car but for the first time most of the time when I have somewhere to go I feel it says "too much" - that I have piles of money or that I am very rich which in turn changes peoples behaviour towards you.

I had a range rover a couple of years back and sometimes felt like this with that but it was only every now and then.

With the S class I feel like its all the time....
Don't know if its just me!

Last edited:
I think it's just you, most petrol heads know it's a 13/16k car, Ford Focus money. I'm not being harsh I enjoy driving my car and couldn't give a toss what others think.

The problem is that image and value aren't equivalent in most people's minds. You can buy a 996 Porsche Turbo for (virtually) nothing but people will still make porcupine jokes about it.

It was one of the reasons I quite like my Volkswagens - there are very few connotations, good or bad, that are associated with them. Most people think the Phaeton is a Passat anyway which is just fine by me :)

Hi Guys,

I rarely ever feel this way about a car but for the first time most of the time when I have somewhere to go I feel it says "too much" - that I have piles of money or that I am very rich which in turn changes peoples behaviour towards you.

I had a range rover a couple of years back and sometimes felt like this with that but it was only every now and then.

With the S class I feel like its all the time....
Don't know if its just me!

Im looking to buy one soon a 2007-2009 price range so I hope it feels too much, I can never get enough of too much driving down to Spain for 2 days :)

I know what the OP means...I've had comments about my 14 year old car from clients.

The only car I have ever felt conspicuous in was a Jagaur XJ Sport I borrowed for a test drive. When I turned up at a clients premises I parked in their back car park rather than the usual front one where everyone could see me. I felt it was too much even though it was in a similar price bracket the the car I owned at the time.

I know exactly what you mean - driving my SL500 makes me look like a drug baron with the feds giving me the eyeball all the time.

use it as an early warning system - anyone who changes their behavior towards you because of what you drive probably is`n worth investing much of your time in ;-)

My last car was a XJ Sovereign but felt OK in it. I feel I may get the ''too much'' feeling should I ever realise my dream car, a Bentley.

My last car was a XJ Sovereign but felt OK in it. I feel I may get the ''too much'' feeling should I ever realise my dream car, a Bentley.

Did you wear a trilby?

I just visualised Arthur Daley when you mentioned the XJ ... Nothing personal!

use it as an early warning system - anyone who changes their behavior towards you because of what you drive probably is`n worth investing much of your time in ;-)

It's difficult when you have to work with people that think you're getting paid too much.

A variation on this, but I often feel I have to dress better than I necessarily would if I'm going to be seen somewhere with the CL - scruffy jeans and old sweatshirt with bed hair seems to just confuse people.

If it was the car I wanted and I enjoyed driving it, I wouldn't worry what some ill-informed people think. It's a great car and there is nothing wrong with a bit of affordable luxury.

I drive the car in whatever I chose to put on ,sunroof back rain or shine, shades on and a tub of brillcream smeared into my scalp. I get noticed.

Lap it up, get this all the time!! I'm 24 drive a 2011 E350 all paid for May I mention and when I climb out of it in my postman uniform YES I'm a postman it feels great.
There the mugs driving around in there Astras and focus what cost the same or even more

True, but easier said than done when it comes to clients.

We don't choose them, they choose us, and we need to cater for all tastes.

Well there has been quite a few replies to this was varying answers and I think I might have missed out some key information from why I feel the way I do sometimes.

As per the replies in this thread it really boils down to where you are taking it and why; fundamentally it’s about people’s perception.

I without a shadow of a doubt do not like cars that "blend" in too much. I like them to be a little bit out of the ordinary and by this I mean in terms of added visual aesthetics such as an AMG kit with optional alloys (OEM) and of course correct internal specs.

When I was in PAYE last year I didn't care what I drove or where I drove it to, didn't care if my car was better than the managers or directors, I just drove what I liked and end of.

However in the last 6 months or so I have been in business and going to supplier sites or visiting people that I need to make a deal one, I feel as soon as they see my car is just gives the impression they can rub their hands together which is just not the case.

Someone replied on this form to say a petrol head would know ASAP and yes they would (which I personally like) but in my experience most people don't have a bloody clue what car you have...

However in the last 6 months or so I have been in business and going to supplier sites or visiting people that I need to make a deal one, I feel as soon as they see my car is just gives the impression they can rub their hands together which is just not the case.

Or they think, geese if he can afford that, he must be a shrewd businessman and we had better treat him correctly:D I had an S Class when I worked for myself, a W220 3.2 litre petrol with personal plates, so no age shown. I never had any problems over the years I had that, if fact I had more problems when I arrived in a brand new Peugeot 406 estate:eek: As they say, go figure:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom