To AMG or not to AMG - that is the question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich C

OK all, looking for a balanced discussion here.

I've got the opportunity for a July build slot of either a CLK 500 Cab or the AMG but have had a sleepless night mulling it over.

I'm fortunate that I can afford either (OK, the repayments on either :D ) but always have been very aware of the ultimate cost of these things so knowing there are people here who either do or have owned the big V8 or AMG versions of various models in your opinion is the extra £14K for the AMG going to be worth it? Plus I understand AMGs depreciate more - by how much? Will I really notice the performace difference? Are they any more/less reliable than a 'normal' 500? I love the styling of the AMG both inside and out but what about the ownership experience.

I'm planning to keep the car for 3 yrs and will probably be doing about 18K a year mainly dual carriageway but do live in the sticks so some country roads too.

I know the ultimate decision is mine but would welcome any input, or questions to ask myseslf, to ensure I get it 'right'

Hi Rich,

At the end of the day it can only be down to personal choice, however I've owned two V8 Merc's now, currently the CL500. The V8 in both the 500 and 55 are as smooth and reliable as each other, so this should not be a concern.

The only trouble with the 55cab is that it's not the supercharged version, so the difference between the two is a much smaller gap - and the 500 is not exactly underpowered or slow - your still be able to give an Elise a run for it's money.

In terms of depreciation, with the sort of miles and three years that you will keep it your going to loose a lot :( The difference in resale between the 500 and 55 will only be a couple of thousand then - look at the differences between W208 CLK430 and CLK55 resale values now for an idea.

If you wanted the same outer look as the 55, then the 500 with the AMG kit and wheels would save you about £10k. However, of course if the money isn't so much of an issue then there is no reason not to get the AMG. :)

Edit to say sensible head says CLK320 with kit and wheels, de-badge, won't depreciate as fast and will sell quicker. And it still does 150 odd MPH :D

Last edited:
Originally posted by Maff
Edit to say sensible head says CLK320 with kit and wheels, de-badge, won't depreciate as fast and will sell quicker. And it still does 150 odd MPH :D
Just be warned, the CLK320 cabriolet is slower than my c230k!

Get a CLK500, AMG body styling pack, AMG wheels and AMG exhaust box, then a stack of other options like comand and xenons :)

You can have what most of us can only dream of. If you can get it, don't settle for 2nd best, go AMG.

Yeah, If you can afford it then go for the AMG.

How dare you even ask such a silly question!!!!!!!!

:D :D

IMHO The difference between the AMG & non is more than just the body kit, you also get amazing brakes, suspension, tuned gearbox & don't that amazing engine. You also get an AMG driving day.

Have you driven an AMG to compare to a normal Merc, I was on a driving day once in a C43 & told to drive to 60 MPH then put my hands in the air & stand on the brake pedal!!!

Just to demonstrate the braking & WOW.

The AMG (IMHO) is worth everypenny over what is already an excellent product, but for the money have you not thought about the new E55?

I'd have to agree with Billy, Jimmy and Graham.

After having recently had the pleasure if driving a W202 C43, driving an AMG is just the ultimate.

I am seriously considering a W202 C36 but don't want to get too carried away until I've checked the insurance quote for one!

My Cousin (the C43 owner) got asked by the Insurance company if he had had any additional training on how to drive the car!

Originally posted by Rich C
in your opinion is the extra £14K for the AMG going to be worth it?
Get a CLK270 CDi and buy a second hand C43 to go with it, prolly still cheaper than buying the CLK55 AMG :)

Yes, IMHO the extra £14K for the AMG going to be worth it.

Reliability - The engine in the AMG is handbuilt by one man. He could have an off day, but no reason to think they are less reliable.

All cars depreciate, you can't beat it. Very few are this much fun to own.

The AMG will do everything the 500 will, but not vice versa. The AMG has another side to its character altogether, which no amount of aftermarket kit on a 500 can produce.

Get a drive in an AMG car (any type), and its non AMG equivalent. If the performance difference (engine, brakes, suspension) isn't immediately obvious and exciting to you, then you'd be wasting your money.

Or as Koolvin put it so succintly - AMG

THanks all, obviously a passionate group.

Think I'm more heading towards the 500 - I agree with the comments made about how much more the AMG brings to the party but to be honest I'd probably never see the benefit. (Hey, if I win the lotto I can always lend it to Brabus for a once over!) Also feel this particular AMG isn't the whole 9 yds - rumours about that they'll give it the more powerful engine out of the E/SL etc. soon.

Love the E class too (often get them to the airport) - but I'm a cabriolet man.

Regarding insurance my current insurers quoted me only £198 more for the AMG for cover until April (when my current policy runs out) than I'm currently paying for my Boxster which this car is replacing. So working that out probably only talking £1100pa fully comp protected (34, full NCD, garaged living in the sticks)

Re: Re: To AMG or not to AMG - that is the question...

Originally posted by Shude
Get a CLK270 CDi and buy a second hand C43 to go with it, prolly still cheaper than buying the CLK55 AMG :)

MB aren't doing the 270CDI in the Cabriolet. Not sure I'd want to hear the diesel noise with the roof down, the V8 roar will be so much nicer.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Shude
Get a CLK500, AMG body styling pack, AMG wheels and AMG exhaust box, then a stack of other options like comand and xenons :)
I second that. :)

I say go for CLK500 with Brabus body kit. :cool:

A friend of mine recently got the Brabus kit for his CLK500 (Black) and it looks a lot more 'muscular' than the standard CLK500. Then again, the standard CLK500 that I'm referring to belongs to my fathers wife and it's Ice Blue....

I'd be happy to post pics of either next week if you are interested to have a look. They are both hard tops though...

Le B

Always nice to see pics of cars, especially with Brabus kits!

Any links to see what the Brabus kit looks like?

Unfortunately he who snoozes looses - dealer called to say slots had gone. Lot's of people round there who can afford to make 'snap' decisions whereas I need to investigate the angles.

That said I'm hooked now and have been told I can still get either car this year so girlfriend and I are up to Motoexpo tomorrow to make a 'joint' decision (shame she's still under 30 and be too expensive to get insured on it :) )

AMG All the way, i dont think i would have bought what i bought if it wasnt an AMG, the looks the handling and the power! and the respect and envy of other car owners!

AMG it if you can afford it!

I have a CLK500, I love it to bits! didn't Road and Track (US) test the CLK500 to 60 in 5.2 sec and to 100 in about 12... I have one and it is very quick having now done 20K miles. Nothing has ever taken it and that includes a M5 on a 3 mile carriageway, and a blast with a 996(C4) for about 20 miles on A roads… There was NOTHING in it!

The only car that gave me a run for my money was a Caterham R500 which pulled slightly away up to 120 then I just silently reeled it in... My car has had the VMax removed and according to Brabus will do 190 on the 18" wheel...?!?! A trip to Germany may be required to test that theory...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom