To AMG or not to AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don’t understand the bickering and arguments here. A proper AMG will leave the factory with an AMG badge on it. A non AMG car will not leave the factory with AMG badge on it. These badges are put on at the dealer requested by the customer - people I know have done this.
If your car is not an AMG as properly specified by the factory then it’s simply not. Your floor mats, wheels don’t make it an AMG.
If your car is on the AMG configurator on the official factory website then it’s deemed an official AMG.
Days of old had AMGs totally separated which saved any of the current “confusion “ some people have.

Hand torqued one bolt at a time, and built over several days - which engine was being assembled at the time of your visit?
No idea - it was several years ago. From other's comments, it seems my recollections are incorrect. However they are not made on a traditional assembly line as someone implied.

No idea - it was several years ago. From other's comments, it seems my recollections are incorrect. However they are not made on a traditional assembly line as someone implied.
No, it’s absolutely not a traditional assembly line but it’s definitely not hand assembled. There are no hand torque wrenches - and haven’t been for some years, if ever - they use hand tools preset to the right torque at each station.

The engine builder checks in at each build station which makes sure that the parts, settings and process steps are right for that version of the engine, and ensures that there’s a full audit trail of each step including actual torque measurements.

An engine builder should complete two full V8s - from start to finish - during a ahift. V12s take longer. At the end of the shift, the in-progress build is paused and the engine builder picks up where they left off with the same engine on their lane to shift.

How did you get your special invitation? I’m sure plenty of members would like visit if they were able to.

No, it’s absolutely not a traditional assembly line but it’s definitely not hand assembled. There are no hand torque wrenches - and haven’t been for some years, if ever - they use hand tools preset to the right torque at each station.

The engine builder checks in at each build station which makes sure that the parts, settings and process steps are right for that version of the engine, and ensures that there’s a full audit trail of each step including actual torque measurements.

An engine builder should complete two full V8s - from start to finish - during a ahift. V12s take longer. At the end of the shift, the in-progress build is paused and the engine builder picks up where they left off with the same engine on their lane to shift.

How did you get your special invitation? I’m sure plenty of members would like visit if they were able to.

The guy building the engine has (had - maybe it has changed I was there in 2017) his own work station. The engine & parts arrives at his work station and stays there until he has built it.

A bunch of SLK AMG owners had planned a trip to Stuttgart - MB Museum, Porsche Museum, Porsche Factory & AMG which I joined. The organiser had made a booking at AMG. My SL was the only non AMG but he contacted them and they agreed to sell me a ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom