To badge or not to badge that is the question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A guy put a Ferrari badge on his Lambo and got a court order from Ferrari to remove that lol

A mate of mine from school use to drive around with a Mercedes grill fitted to the front of his Mini (his father owned the local MB dealership). He was told to remove it by MB (not his father I hasten to add).

Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself.

I have never liked model designation badges. It reminds me too much of the old company car wars, where society judged people by whether they drove a 1.3L or a 2.0GXL. As a result, I have debadged all my cars, whether base or top model, from my 1988 Astra - my first ever new car - onwards, because my car is my choice, not a statement.

The Japanese went the other way and used to stick badges on for everything: 5-speed, Automatic, AWD, AWS, ABS, DNR etc

The only car I didn't debadge was my Triumph Stag, firstly because there was only ever one model, so no bragging rights were involved and secondly, because the badge itself (on the rear quarters) was a work of art... and it would've left a hole.

For me, the lines of the boot lids just look cleaner with only the star (or whatever) in the middle. I actually opted against a Volvo when they replaced the rear round badge with a wide-spaced V O L V O, choosing an Alfa 159 instead.

I love that my current CLS500 SB was never badged from new and is a wolf in sheep's clothing. It makes that kick in the small of the back and the accompanying burble/grunt even more fun.

Last edited:
Haha, had a friend with a Gen1 GTI way back then. He removed the GTI badge and replaced it with a Golf D one. Was told a couple of time when filling up at the petrol station "you're putting petrol in a diesel. Do you realize it?"....

I had a neighbour who badged up his Gold TDI as a GTI. Looked quite impresssive right up to the point when he fired it up.

On my cars I really don't care enough to actually change anything. My first three Mercs came badged and stayed that way. The fourth has had a factory delete and I've just left it like that.

As above I'm not bothered either way. My SL has all the badges still on but I removed the side V6T badges from the front fenders of my Audi S5.

Edit: After a quick think ...

I think they're a bit cheesy and make me think about chrome badges hanging on a shelf at Halfords much cleaner to de-badge.

Probably the only reason i haven't done it myself yet would be in case there there was any colour fading as mine is 14 now.

If my car wasn't badged from new as some have mentioned i wouldn't be seeking them out to stick on.

Can anyone advise on the type of "glue" used by MB to stick the car model badges to the rear panel of the car. I'm considering the need to change a E450 badge to E400...... yes that is a strange thing to do but I have my reasons lol

Can anyone advise on the type of "glue" used by MB to stick the car model badges to the rear panel of the car. I'm considering the need to change a E450 badge to E400...... yes that is a strange thing to do but I have my reasons lol

Double sided trim tape, Halfords sell it.

The badge should come with the adhesive already attached, mine did.

I'd personally keep the badges. I'm of the view, if i'm spending all that money then i'd like people to know what it is, adds the cherry on top of the ownership experience for me :)

I actually opted against a Volvo when they replaced the rear round badge with a wide-spaced V O L V O, choosing an Alfa 159 instead.

Alfa over a Volvo because of the badge. Wow.

I always wanted to remove the badges on the front wings in order to make the car easier to detail UNTIL one day, sat at head of queue at traffic lights when caught the gaze of the petrol head in the adjacent lane looking at the V8 badges on the wing ......"who thought better of it".

I would debadge an AMG. Maybe even down badge. Less chance of moronic van drivers tailgating, parts getting nicked, keyed. Plus I like the whole sleeper look.

My mate had his M5 stripped of loads of parts when he parked it on the road. It was only for a few days when getting work done on house.

I debadged mine to reduce the attention, unfortunately people do get jealous and act like assholes. I think I'm going to put some badges back on...ML320 CDI

I was going to debadge the GT.... it only comes in one model in the UK, and the massive yellow calipers give away the fact its an S model so I decided to leave it.

Prefer badges on. I did look at getting gloss black badges but the quality is woeful and returned items. Might look at getting the OEM ones painted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom