To "Blade" or not "To Blade that is the question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not, just use microfibre cloths, slightly dampened before applying to the paintwork.

No I think these are frowned upon as they trap residue grit and then drag said grit across the paint causing scratches.
Better to use a drying towel and then microfibrer cloth to finish.

Leaf blower?

Wouldn't use a blade myself. Knowing my luck I'd trap a piece of grit and put a big scratch in the paint.

No. They’re the best way there is of dragging grit across the paint.

Microfibre towels are ok, but still carry some risk of scratching.

Safest method is to just lay on and lift off a drying towel which will absorb the water and the lack of rubbing action means no scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan wet & dry vac has a decent blow action...ooh err.

It's a no from me too. The trouble you have with a blade is that if there is grit on the paintwork, the blade will drag it over your nice clean paint. It's just a lot more forgiving having a microfibre towel that has a pile that should keep dirty away from the paint.

On a perfectly clean car with a perfectly clean blade it would be safe, sadly there's no way of being 100% sure so best avoided.

You'd be safe using it on the glass at least. :)

chamois leather every time.

A blade is OK provided you're very careful i.e. use only on a calm day (not windy) and immediately after copious hosing off. That said I generally only use one on the windows.

I was given one of those blades years ago, would never have used it on paint but I thought it would be OK on glass. Even though the glass was washed thoroughly, a bit of grit still scratched the glass. Horrible things that should be banned.

Russ

I've obviously been doing the wrong thing for years then as I've been using a blade all this time. I generally snow foam the car, let it dwel,l blast it off then use the blade. I do rinse the blade prior to use but have never noticed even under powerful light any marks. I can't see how rubbing the surface with a microfibre would be any better as any particle could be caught in the microfibre would still be in contact with the surface.

I can't see how rubbing the surface with a microfibre would be any better as any particle could be caught in the microfibre would still be in contact with the surface.

It's about contact pressure. With a blade, the grit gets trapped right at the contact patch which is tiny, and is dragged, while being pressed directly against the paint by wedged shape that wants to press the grit tighter and tighter into the paint as it slips nearer and nearer the blade's edge.

With a cloth, the grit has almost zero pressure pressing it against the paint.

It's like laying on a bed of nails, as opposed to lying on one nail.

chamois leather every time.

Use a Microfibre over a Chamois. See below.

The make up of a chamois leather means that any small stray particles of dirt on the surface of your car become trapped between the paintwork and the chamois during the drying phase and are therefore drawn across it which results in the fine scratches and swirl marks. Chamois leathers also dry hard so even if just a small part of it is not sufficiently dampened and softened before you begin drying, marring could be inflicted onto the surface of your paintwork. There are synthetic chamois also available but these too suffer from the same disadvantages that a natural chamois leather does.’

Not all microfibres are created equal either, you get what you pay for (probably with a few exceptions either way), I've had some cheap packs off Amazon and they were pretty rubbish at soaking up water even after a few uses - not too bad as polish applicators though.

Don't blade,use microfiber cloths Costco do them in a 36 pack great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom