to buy or not to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Notamused

Car
BMW 3 series
Hi All,

Brand spanking to the forum, so please be gentle.

Am considering buying into the brand for the first time for my wife, so have joined in the hope of finding some useful info.

Anyhow, hello to everyone old and new.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

I am looking at getting an SLK 250 CDi perhaps, although not entirely sure. My wife likes them (styling) and would be using it as a commuting tool. I fully appreciate and understand they are not the most practical of cars, but this doesn't really matter too much, as we have another vehicle.

We tried one recently (AMG styled version) and she thought it was ok. I did too, although perhaps a little firm, lacking in space and other elements that may otherwise be available in alternative choices, but overall, it was nice. They are a pretty car too, so I see what she sees in them.

However, I would love to know what sort of return she is likely to get out of one re: fuel comsumption. She is currently using an E90 3 series, which is simply excellent on fuel. While I don't mind some loss compared to the BMW, I'd not want something that is going to be costing significantly more to run.

Her drive to and from work is more or less all Motorway, with approx 1/2 mile either side of a 20 mile motorway jaunt.

Any views on what these are likely to give in fuel economy.?

I only seem to buy V8s these days so I can't help in that respect but I would look at a website like Honestjohn or Fuelly to look at the "real world" consumption of individuals who log their consumption.

I would imagine it would be pretty good on a light, modern diesel-engined car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom