To buy or not to buy??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you for your input. Re the brakes, i completely agree with you, I know I keep harping on about them, I just cannot see how they have not been highlighted at services or the MOT, when we all know MB are pretty quick to tell you that your pads or discs are 0.0001% worn and need replacing immediately or you will face death if you drive another yard in your death trap! :D
Maybe they were reported to the previous owner and that was the final trigger to move it on? Anyway, they are what they are.
I know some on the subject of specifications, some people are not bothered as it's more to go wrong, won't use them anyway, etc etc, BUT I am not one of those people! lol I am a sucker for a decent spec, and always have a list of minimum spec I would want (obviously takes a lot longer looking for a car when buying in the used market) when buying.
I'm a sucker for a nice spec too. I wouldn't go out of my way looking for a car with a factory-fitted garage door opener - although my previous E63 did actually have that :rolleyes: - but things like the Driving Assistance Package and Dynamic Multi-Contour Seats are really nice and add to my enjoyment of the car. "Why spend thousands on something that doesn't include all the toys when for a little more you can have them" is my motto ;) I know retrofitting is doable for many things, but the cost is prohibitive for the bigger items so isn't really an option I'd consider other than for something like a Reversing Camera.
Oh and your apology is not accepted, but the cat you have just thrown amongst the pigeons has been ushered away :D
I do what I can. Always happy to help :D

I'm confused now........ are we talking about the CLS350 or the CLS63 from another thread? Which car needs, allegedly, £6k spending on it?

I'm confused now........ are we talking about the CLS350 or the CLS63 from another thread? Which car needs, allegedly, £6k spending on it?

It is about the CLS 350 pal (the 63 chat was just a little diversion) :)

Cheers John. Appreciate the links, it looks like I may have to settle for a diesel now (not ideal) but beggars cant be choosers and all that!:DAs a couple of things have changed on a personal level, coupled with the fact I want a second car rather than 'need' one and I want that 'one' to be a CLS with a budget of circa £15k, looks like it will be a CLS 350 sport diesel. Not exactly 'slumming it' by any means, but for the mileage I need it for a petrol would have been my preferred option.

It seems with the petrol versions which are few and far between (early ones anyway) have issues, the 350 with check valves and chain tensioners and even the '63 with the chain stretch (not that it's in budget)!

Just need to find a great 1 owner, low mileage, FMBSH, highly specced, right colour combo, new as possible, example! Can't be that hard! :D:D

To be honest, I'd rather walk than buy an oiler so I share your stance. In which case I would wait for the right one to come (you could still ask someone like Jay to look because I imagine the cooking models which sell are probably still oilers) although I understand this is difficult!

I've been assisting a work colleague in finding an E Class and I faced the same issue as I did when I first binned the E55 - finding a replacement E or CLS on 2015/2016 vintage which didn't have either an engine that would barely mow a lawn nor one which could re-rotate planets a different direction (i.e. I was after a 400). Hen's teeth!

So in the end they had to go with a stinky oiler but their typical journey meant it would be fine. They can always change later down the line.

Reactions: Abb
Just to conclude this thread, the dealer did get back to me......absolutely no movement on price! :D

Better late than never I suppose!:p

Just to conclude this thread, the dealer did get back to me......absolutely no movement on price! :D

Better late than never I suppose!:p

Leave it a couple of months; see if it's still advertised; if so, ring them and ask if it's still for sale; if they say yes, say: "Good" and ring off. Childishly satisfying...

Leave it a couple of months; see if it's still advertised; if so, ring them and ask if it's still for sale; if they say yes, say: "Good" and ring off. Childishly satisfying...

Or maybe a Nelson "ha ha" from the Simpsons. :D

Car is looks like its sold! Lets see if the new owner pops up on here.

Thank you once again to you all for making me see sense :)

The dealer, honest fellow that he is, will no doubt have advised the seller about the results of the inspection...

No idea what you mean, there was nothing wrong with the car, just an over cautions MB technician who clearly knew nothing about his profession! :wallbash:

According to Autotrader the car is worth £12530 and £13840. The extra's are nice to have but make the car more saleable not more valuable (and more things to go wrong). I think if you are serious about the car then you need to be standing in front of the dealer looking prepared to do a deal, he will discount despite what he is saying.
Hi , trouble with Auto trader etc the value may not reflect the condition of the car or money spent on it.

I paid a little more than I wanted to pay but got the car that I wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom