To buy or not to buy??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to keep my cars for a few years; since I started with Mercedes, I seem to become unhappy a lot sooner with most...
Why keep buying them then? :doh: :D

Sometimes you have to buy something to find out you should have bought something else. It's all AMG's fault, really...

Back to the car in question - let’s be honest - all cars can and will go wrong at some point. In terms of mitigating that risk - a 1-owner, full MB history, sensible mileage car should help.

If it’s as clean as it looks (and high spec of course!) you wouldn’t begrudge looking after it either. And whoever bought it originally and kept it for 8 years can’t have been short of cash to have ticked that many option boxes and kept full MB service records. In other words, it looks and appears to be well cared for and with better provenance than the majority of cars that age.

I think in terms of value and negotiation you’ll have to make your own mind up. Some people are obsessed with getting the price reduced. Others look at the overall deal. It doesn’t appear cheap but on the other hand how much do you value those options personally? To me I’d judge the car on its own merits. If it has the exact spec and colour scheme you’re after I guess paying a slight premium may not be that much of a problem, especially if you’re planning to keep it for a while.

Will, on the above note re the services, they indicate the first two were Tony Purslow followed by the next five at Sandown Surrey and Hampshire Ltd. When I have googled these two (not having any knowledge of the area) they appear to be the same dealership :dk:

Also, as part of my final checks, can anyone recommend the best site to use re HPi checks? It has been a while since I have needed to do one, and as much as one will be provided, I like to do my own.

Tony Purslow are now part of the Sandown Mercedes main dealer network, Mercedes Guildford are under the Sandown group as such (and are a well regarded dealer, I’ve had good experiences in my dealings there) :thumb:

Also, as part of my final checks, can anyone recommend the best site to use re HPi checks? It has been a while since I have needed to do one, and as much as one will be provided, I like to do my own.

I've always used HPI for them. Couldn't say if they were the best but I've been fortunate in never needing to pursue them for compensation for giving duff info.

Just a quick update, I have managed to speak to the indie who is going to carry out the inspection. He said he will try and fit it in on Monday and keep me posted.
The dealer is open tomorrow 11-3pm, so if it doesn't sell tomorrow and the if the indie manages to go on Monday and if all checks out, it could be mine.
Can't do anything else about it unfortunately, it's out of my hands.

As I waiting for the news tomorrow (today has been a very looooooong day :D), I appreciate I may be jumping the gun, but just in preparation things go well, a little advice on services if I may.
Basically as mentioned previously it has a FMBSH, and the last service was a service A on 31-10-18 @ circa 57k, current mileage is circa 60k. It is due a B service next. later this year. I know it needs a brake fluid change (has been done every 2 years as per schedule) so my understanding is if I take out a service plan, it should be B,A,B and this would cover things like brake fluid changes and any other additional work?

I have never had a service plan before, as I use an indie but this seems like good value at £39 pm. Have i understood it correctly? There is no mention on the service record of any work been done except oil changes, spark plugs, and brake fluid changes. So at this moment n time I have no idea about the condition of brake discs etc, could they be on the originals at 60k miles? Would they be covered under the service plan?

Roll on tomorrow!

As I waiting for the news tomorrow (today has been a very looooooong day :D), I appreciate I may be jumping the gun, but just in preparation things go well, a little advice on services if I may.
Basically as mentioned previously it has a FMBSH, and the last service was a service A on 31-10-18 @ circa 57k, current mileage is circa 60k. It is due a B service next. later this year. I know it needs a brake fluid change (has been done every 2 years as per schedule) so my understanding is if I take out a service plan, it should be B,A,B and this would cover things like brake fluid changes and any other additional work?

I have never had a service plan before, as I use an indie but this seems like good value at £39 pm. Have i understood it correctly? There is no mention on the service record of any work been done except oil changes, spark plugs, and brake fluid changes. So at this moment n time I have no idea about the condition of brake discs etc, could they be on the originals at 60k miles? Would they be covered under the service plan?

Roll on tomorrow!

Discs could be original:) will not be covered by the MB service plan:(

MB service plans are only good value when you add in any extras required (plugs, brake fluid, pollen/air filters & gearbox fluid) which are included:)

Reactions: Abb
An update, as promised. The mobile MB tech went out and carried out a thorough inspection. Overall the car was in good order if not a little neglected in some areas. I confess to not knowing how the fault codes work, as in the the digit 1 is for at the end of some descriptions, what is meant by the term STORED and I assume CURRENT is self explanatory.

I will list the faults found from STAR first:

P13A964 The efficiency of the NOx storage catalytic converter (cylinder bank 2) is insufficient: sultrous fuel suspected. There is a implausible signal. CURRENT & STORED (this was cleared and did not return)

U116900 Communication with interior protection sensor 1 has a malfunction. STORED

A3A813 The output for the window heating has a malfunction. There is an open circuit. CURRENT & STORED.

B2223400 The rear warning indicator has a malfunction. STORED

B2223300 The front warning indicator has a malfunction. STORED

B126395 The inner right front distance sensor has a malfunction. The mechanical set up isn not ok. STORED

A4011 Multifucntion camera mono. 1

LN N26/6 Interior protection and tow away protection. 1

In regards to these faults, are any of them major issues?

Ok some pics, with the exception of a scuff on the front corner of the bumper, the car body is in good overall condition for its age.
4a09f15a-4817-4819-9a35-524e246ff6be.jpg

The worst interior bits (in fact the only defects in the interior):

d4992b20-ca9a-4c05-a661-355e11b8a808.jpg

Now for the mechanical defects....

Brake discs (rear)

0a66436c-c2a9-4d96-81d7-913b1556f76e.jpg

Front

692d5e05-b76f-43da-9b6d-cbee40efc909.jpg

Rear shock absorbers. Are these leaking???

225aab0e-912f-489c-b516-d4d33d3a9aa1.jpg

1730bd84-2454-4402-ac5d-2ab62fb6a88b.jpg

Front dust cover deteriorated

7208c407-a56d-4294-8b1e-8e377a644795.jpg

Does this mean the ATF fluid was changed?

48d9b57a-cd87-490e-9852-1ce7d9d66a90.jpg

Next type of service due & date

673753ba-8f78-41cf-a5c3-e2a522f061ec.jpg

Are they willing to fix the defects to your satisfaction?

If not, and as much as you’re desperate to buy this car, the red signals are getting louder and louder pal. Now you’ve had a bit of time for the buzz to wear off, do you still really *really* want it?

Being honest, I am a little gutted at the results. Especially when there has not been a single advisory on the last MOT (Sept 18 and approx 2.5k miles ago), I mean look at those front discs :eek::eek:

I could accept the exterior & interior blemishes as it is a 7 year old car at the end of the day, as well as the discs & pads all round need doing.
It's the rear shocks I am concerned about the most as well as the front dust cover (if thats what it is). The mech said the airmatic worked absolutely spot on, raised and lowered as it should, dropped at certain speeds as it should etc.
Are the rear units leaking or are they just 'misty' (if there is such a thing!)

Regards the STAR results, I have no idea what sultrous fuel is (crap fuel mixture??) and as previously mentioned the rest of the fault codes, current, stored and 1.

Has the ATF being changed?

The mech did tell me, he started the car up from cold and was quite 'tappety' in his words but quietened down and it drove without fault. Overall he said they were all wear and tear items on a used car at the end of the day and there was nothing out of the ordinary. He did mention he removed all the engine covers from beneath, all was good, no leaks of any sort anywhere.
All the tyres were good and premium branded, the alloys had been touched up in places but all the centre caps were shot!

All the docs check out, it is a one owner car, FMBSH, has a tracker fitted. I spoke to the dealer afterwards, who said there was NO movement on the price, despite me listing the faults.
Stating the rear shocks were just 'misty' and not leaking and the discs were ok. I expected nothing less!

However he is going to get their in house mechanic to have a look at my raised issues and also speak to his partner/boss and get back to me.

I have asked for the issues to be fixed or price reduced, so I will wait and see. Roll on tomorrow.

Are they willing to fix the defects to your satisfaction?

If not, and as much as you’re desperate to buy this car, the red signals are getting louder and louder pal. Now you’ve had a bit of time for the buzz to wear off, do you still really *really* want it?

Lee, genuinely I am torn (or stupid), I do really want it because of the unicorn spec! If they had put new discs and pads all round and the shocks were not leaking, sorted the scuff, stuck another £500 - £1000 on the screen price, I would have bought it!

So because they haven't 'prepped it' and I have had a proper inspection carried out, does it look worse than it is or am I trying to convince myself into buying it! At the end of the day, it wouldn't take much to make it a minter again.

Oh and the final piece of the puzzle, the engine start up! Again I do not know what they are supposed to sound like, but everything I have read seems to be consistent with what the mech said, 'tappetey' upon start and then it quietened down. He doesn't record for long enough to hear it go quiet!

So it's over to the panel, to hear your thoughts and advice on anything on the above, especially potential issues/costs/fault code explanation.I am assuming that they will stick to their guns and offer absolutely no reduction nor rectify anything I have raised, so anything else is a bonus.

In the meantime I will try and upload this video.

@Will @John @SPX @E55BOF @clk320x @WOODYTHEWISE @jdrrco
@fabes @MWCLS @Nat @flowrider99

Lee, genuinely I am torn (or stupid), I do really want it because of the unicorn spec! If they had put new discs and pads all round and the shocks were not leaking, sorted the scuff, stuck another £500 - £1000 on the screen price, I would have bought it!

So because they haven't 'prepped it' and I have had a proper inspection carried out, does it look worse than it is or am I trying to convince myself into buying it! At the end of the day, it wouldn't take much to make it a minter again.
I’ll spin it both ways for you -

1. It’s a 20% overpriced car, with an engine that no-one wanted, that needs about a grand spending on it.

2. It’s a rare car with a rare spec.

That any help :D

I’ll spin it both ways for you -

1. It’s a 20% overpriced car, with an engine that no-one wanted, that needs about a grand spending on it.

2. It’s a rare car with a rare spec.

That any help :D

Errrrr nope!:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom