To change or not...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
We've had our E55 estate for over 3 years now, longer than I planned to, mainly because it's just a superb machine. It's caused us very little issue and does everything well (apart from use fuel!). The 7 seat option that came by chance is useful as the kids grow to allow grandparents to come too. It doesn't need much doing and I'd take it anywhere.
But it's 14 years old and on 137k miles.
5.5 turbo cars are dropping but would still be 5 years old and so quite capable of throwing decent bills at us. I suppose the question is would it be any better a car for the extra £15k? Newer yes, but I like what mine does and how it does it.
I'd really like a cls63 and that red one in Wimbledon is still for sale , can't work out why.
But the E class is larger and for 2 small children that's helpful. And I don't see many (any?) 5.5 with the 7 seat option.
So deliberations for the new year maybe.
Anyone done it?

I'm in a similar position with an E55 saloon. I don't want an estate, so I have been looking at E63 Biturbo saloons for the last couple of months, gauging prices and whether or not to take the plunge. The E55 is getting older and suspension items in particular are going to start needing replacement sooner than later. If it didn't have such a brilliant trouble free engine I think I'd have sold a while ago.
But its a bad time to be selling a car now, so I'm on hold until at least springtime.

Original owner kept mine for 17 years and well over 200,000 miles, possibly less to go wrong with it than on later models like yours but i think if you like the car then you have to weigh up what the newer car brings to you for that extra 15k.

You could put that money in the bank in case your old car needs repairs and simply run it until something really expensive lets go, it's probably devalued almost as much as it's ever going to by now so you are not losing money that way at least, of course nothing wrong with wanting another or newer car if you can afford it but financially it probably makes more sense to keep the old one going unless a newer one uses a lot less fuel, at least until you start to worry about it letting you down mid journey?

We're running a 10 1/2 year old S204 C220 estate with 102k miles on the clock and 2 owners, it's superbly comfortable and does everything we could ask - so although I have a history of changing cars, I have no thoughts or intentions of changing this one! If what you have does everything you need and is running well and economically, why change?

I doubt it will lose much more value now and it gets what it needs and will go to the bodyshop soon for minor chips/scuffs etc to keep on top of things. I'm a great believer in fixing things not just selling up (that's why my daily is a 944 turbo with 267k miles!)
Yes the newer ones are quite a bit more frugal, I can only get 25 mpg even at 70 on a run and I believe the dizzy heights of 30 is a possibility.
Why change - well new things are nice but its hard to justify when what you have is just fine.

It’s testament to the overall ability of the mighty E55K that you probably, deep down, can’t justify throwing £15k on top of your car to buy a car that’s *just newer* - powerwise it’s not a massive leap (476bhp v 525bhp) and the interior in the W211 is still the best in the last twenty years (although the W213 runs it very close...)

I have a cls55 and its great at almost everything. Went to Manchester and back yesterday (400 miles in total comfort) mostly at 75 on Distronic and it showed 26.8 mpg which is not too bad. Like you I think about changing but I don't like the styling of the 218 cls or the 212 saloon...too many unnecessary creases for me, so I'm probably going to wait a couple or three years until a 213 63s comes into my range. Mines on 97k so until then I'm more than happy to continue.

I bought my E500 Estate on 42k for peanuts and sold it three years later at 70k for slightly more peanuts, because another cute low mileage saloon came along. Serious mistake - the E500 estate was a really useful five door car which is now impossible to replace.

If you chuck an extra 15k into another car, you'll lose a good £4k a year in depreciation on top of your routine maintenance costs.

Which is fine if you want to. But do you really want a newer one?

With apologies to CLS owners, they're great cars for couples who only need to occasionally put people in the back, but they can seem quite claustrophobic and limited for family purposes, even ignoring the absence of that very flexible 5th door.

We thought we'd stop buying estate cars when we no longer needed to carry prams, pushchairs etc. 30+ years on from that and we have basically not been without one in all that time - still have one and would not be without it. Thursday we're off to France to top up our wine racks and storage, 3 weeks time we'll be heading 120 miles to daughter, SIL and granddaughter for Xmas carrying food and pressies, could not do either without the estate car!! Amuses me wandering back to the car at the supermarket to hit the remote tailgate release and surprise the silly person head down in her mobile and nearly walking into the rising tailgate!! So easy to throw a large trolley full of bags into the back - guess you could say we like our estate car!!

Do it.

Newer, fresher looking, great engine, decent interior (makes you realise how dated the previous generation are) and that’s coming from someone who’s owned and still loves both.

I have two boys (11&8) and have no issues at all with the CLS space wise. The Shooting brake is a stunning car, with great road presence and will definitely age well. I too like the red one, but due to it being a marmite colour, was never going to sell for the original price they had it up at.

You only live once .......

Good luck Jules

It’s testament to the overall ability of the mighty E55K that you probably, deep down, can’t justify throwing £15k on top of your car to buy a car that’s *just newer* - powerwise it’s not a massive leap (476bhp v 525bhp) and the interior in the W211 is still the best in the last twenty years (although the W213 runs it very close...)

Totally agree on the interior, its something people always comment on when they get in the car for the first time, shortly followed by "bloody hell its quick" :)

Fantastic engine/car couldn't agree more. I absolutely love my w211 saloon 55k. Just tinkering since purchasing new to me e320 s211 cdi fantasic car, really happy with it. I would like the V8 version on an estate chassis.

Would the S211 E63 be an upgrade to that of my current w211 e55K. Exterior styling is not major different as is interior. Instrument cluster seating looks different in pictures. Exterior, wheels, and front and rear bumpers are the only real noticeable differences that spring to mind. Has any owners taken this route and gone from a w211 55k to a w211 e63 and could you share your findings opinions on the two cars.

Much appreciated.

Tom

The 212 5.5 biturbo with the 550 bhp Performance Pack (Option P30 - and despite what some will tell you, this does not include an LSD) makes the E55K seem quite slow in retrospect. In the real world, neither (nor the 6.2 n/a) will disappoint. The 211 has a nicer, albeit less modern, interior; more of a traditional 'Mercedes' feel to it.

The 6.2 n/a engine does not have the huge slug of torque from low revs that the 55K does, but the 55K has the old five-speed gearbox, and the 6.2 the faster-changing MCT seven-speed. The 5.5 BT has the torque and the seven-speed.

Would I have a 6.2? No, but only because I much prefer masses of low-end torque.

Would I go back to a 55K? Yes, I would, if I could find the right car; I only bought the 5.5 because I'd given up hope of finding the right 55K (and the more time passes, the less likely I ever will). The 212 is better in many ways, but not a lot better in any...

The 212 5.5 biturbo with the 550 bhp Performance Pack (Option P30 - and despite what some will tell you, this does not include an LSD) makes the E55K seem quite slow in retrospect. In the real world, neither (nor the 6.2 n/a) will disappoint. The 211 has a nicer, albeit less modern, interior; more of a traditional 'Mercedes' feel to it.

The 6.2 n/a engine does not have the huge slug of torque from low revs that the 55K does, but the 55K has the old five-speed gearbox, and the 6.2 the faster-changing MCT seven-speed. The 5.5 BT has the torque and the seven-speed.

Would I have a 6.2? No, but only because I much prefer masses of low-end torque.

Would I go back to a 55K? Yes, I would, if I could find the right car; I only bought the 5.5 because I'd given up hope of finding the right 55K (and the more time passes, the less likely I ever will). The 212 is better in many ways, but not a lot better in any...

Nice insight E55BOF, appreciated.

I thought the 212 was the 6.2 na lump just different shell. obviously not. Thinking the 213 was the start of the bi-turbo 5.5 lump.

Hard to keep up with all the models being produced nowadays. Save the pennies for 5.5 bi-turbo it seems then :thumb:

I have asked a few times now about changing my E55k to the 6.2 n/a w212. The car I am interested in is a 2009 saloon. The mileage is not very high 60+000 infact. Would quite high owner numbers put one off. And could anyone give me some advice to look out for on start up and in general ?Much appreciated
Tom

Totally agree on the interior, its something people always comment on when they get in the car for the first time, shortly followed by "bloody hell its quick" :)
I used to get “what you doing driving an old mans carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr slowwwwwwww downnnnnnn!!!!” :D

I have asked a few times now about changing my E55k to the 6.2 n/a w212. The car I am interested in is a 2009 saloon. The mileage is not very high 60+000 infact. Would quite high owner numbers put one off. And could anyone give me some advice to look out for on start up and in general ?Much appreciated
Tom
W211 AMG’s:

*Pre facelift*
‘55k = 5.4 supercharged (from 2002 up to early 2006)

Facelift.
‘63 = 6.2 naturally aspirated (from mid 2006 to mid 2009)

W212 AMG’s:
*Pre facelift*
‘63 = 6.2 naturally aspirated (from mid 2009 to mid 2011

‘63 = 5.5 Bi-Turbo (from mid 2011 to mid 2013

Facelift.

‘63 = 5.5 Bi-Turbo (from mid 2013 to early 2016)

W213 AMG:

‘63 = 4.0 Bi-Turbo (from early 2016 to present day)

I might be slightly out with dates but that’s the nub of it.

Once a w211 E55k owner always one it seems :).

The car I'm interested in is the w212 6.2 n/a. 2009.

No one is tempting me to take the plunge lol !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom