To counterbalance this MPG Nonsense

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Uberwagon

Car
1991 500E
Just Funking Because

GetAttachment-2.jpg

I woke up this morning, took my Mum to work and then took the long way home via most of the B660
cool.gif

1 tank of fuel before breakfast was good fun, as was decimating all on uphill overtakes, seeing peoples faces as you surge past, Ozzy Osbourne wailing away and the gearbox shuffling happily between gears.
The brakes REALLY work hard on this car, a firm shove with getting on for 3 tons of car means you can feel the front tyres really digging deep into the road. The turn in is great for such a barge and when loaded up the steering isn't actually too bad, a bit light at times and can sometimes feel inconsistent but mainly damn good.
Handling is an odd one, if it had more supportive seats I think it would go far better than how it does at the minute. You need to hold on quite tight on bumpy high speed corners and you tend to ease off so you feel more in control, in the dry though there is shedloads of grip, mainly from so much weight pressing the tyres into the road no doubt. It is an odd sensation piloting such a heavy car, the speeds are not that fast, the very scary feeling of getting it wrong and nearly 3 tons getting away from you keeps you in check.
Traction, this is what I was worried about, with 400hp and 600lbs of torque I expected problems, yet due to the fantastic gearbox and great tyres I never once had a problem. The only time I had them smoking away was when I provoked it and the rear tyres fizzed away merrily in the wet with about 2000rpm showing, very Bentley Boys
lol.gif

The size of the car is not a problem, the interior is incredible, leather and real wood everywhere, incredibly comfy, warm, cosseting etc. An amazing ambience at night with some relaxing music on the surprisingly good stereo.
Cruising along at 60mph, the rear seat passengers recling, shoes off on the thick carpet, nigh on silent heater keeping the cabin toasty etc.
Basically, this car is absolutely brilliantly brilliant in nearly every way. Fast, wafty, incredible looking and very very cool. No car can be left not overtaken, never do you feel like you want to thrash it, you just make fast steady progress. Driving a Bentley, ahh, nigh on perfection for me, you feel just like the chap below and all the better for it!
bentley_bmw_audi_subaru.jpg

GetAttachment1.jpg

GetAttachment2.jpg

Big turbo
cool.gif

Lord Dave!

Good skills !! :D

It's a lovely colour too !

Last edited:
and how many MPG did you manage? we have to know for when we demand you take us all for a ride at some point in it!

brilliant stuff and a good read with pics too!

I love Bentleys, the only one cooler than this is an Azure.

For my shame, it is another rental to tide me over till I remove the 500E from storage :D. Like the 360 I got it from these chaps....

http://www.classiccarclub.com/

On one cross country jaunt I managed a wonderfully indulgent 7mpg, which wasn't even going flat out, just very briskly.

On the Wednesday night before giving it back I had Mr Crowley playing loud, it has a cracking stereo, while a Lightning storm enveloped the Fens, awesome.

Dave!

Hi which do you prefer your 500E or the Bentley ??? ,i know they are both different cars ,but for everyday life......

Hi which do you prefer your 500E or the Bentley ??? ,i know they are both different cars ,but for everyday life......

For cross country pace and outright speed, the Merc by quite a margin. For ambience and sense of ocasion, the Bentley wins by a very big margin.

For an equal speed cross country run you would use 3 times the fuel in the Bentley. It has massive presence though and 600lbs of torque do make for some giggleworthy moments :cool:

Dave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom