To de-badge or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I let the previous owner(s) decide.

I never add in badges nor take them off.

Only car I did remove them from (IIRC) was an XR3i which I had to remove the badges from because they were a pink / purple colour... although that will learn me to buy a hairdresser's car.

It was like deciphering the enigma machine but basic techno stuff baffles my tiny brain but here we are...

Sorry for the poor quality pics but taking pictures is not something i can be proud off:fail

Below one debadged E63 with thrifty rental badge in right hand corner below AMG badge!!

I did think about doing this on my previous E55 but I couldn't be bothered to actually do it in the end.

The obnoxious argument is an interesting one because you could argue those who are being snobby trying to show their car is better based on what they see on an incorrectly-badged faster car, are also being obnoxious, until you rub their noses in it...

Sales guy asked me if I wanted the car with or without badge. Is a free option in the configurator.

The badges are easy to take off, so might as well get the car with the badge.

Thing is, when I still had my M3 (in the late 90's), had some minor vandalism due to the badge. Once badge removed no more trouble.

Stephan

Thing is, when I still had my M3 (in the late 90's), had some minor vandalism due to the badge. Once badge removed no more trouble.
Stephan
Glad to see at least one owner got less hassle after de-badging. With the surprised reactions from friends when they find out I'm getting an S class, rather than a C or E class, and extrapolating that to vandals etc, I'm thinking of keeping things ambiguous with a blank boot.

It's not just the hassle with minor vandalism, when you got a "sporty" badge on the car, you get the boy racers trying to challenge you ... passing you on the highway, go in front, slow down so you have to overtake them, then they will accelerate ad nauseam ... had one idiot blow his engine in front of me doing that :) ... whole front of my car covered in his engine oil.

Stephan

Thanks for all the replies, it helped me choose. When configuring my car on the Carwow and the M-B websites, I'd selected selected de-badge on one of the configurations - I just couldn't remember if I'd chosen that with their dealer. So I asked them over email and they've just replied with a cryptic "I will make sure the car is de-badged at Grimsby for you". Well I guess that means they know it will be badged, so I didn't order it so. Has anyone had dealer de-badging when new and had always a good experience?

Main reasons for de-badging are
* Class anonymity to minimise vandalism and unwanted attention, really I'm concerned about this (fans will know the exact model of course, but I'm fine with that)
* Clean boot line
And I won't be driving this car like it's really fast, so there's no danger of some one thinking it's a wolf in sheep's clothing!

Dealers always do the debadging now. If used to be an option (on the E anyway) but that changed last year.

So they just get out the warm hairdryer and carefully prise the metallic plastic things off, and presumably somewhere in the workshop there's a big bucket with all the lonely A to S's in there!

I always de-badge.

As stated above, it gives a cleaner look, and also make the car easier to keep shiny.

E63%20rear%20debadged.jpg

I know that Developer (John) will agree with me too. :D

Love the look !!! No need for badges ...

Why is it only owners of MB and BMW that "like a clean boot"?
I've been on the M6 today and haven't seen a single de badged Ford ,Vauxhall Toyota ect dk:

Had my E63 detailed over the weekend and decided to leave the badges on , same as my C63.

Having followed a debadged , white, C63 in Maidstone this morning, I'm glad I left them on , they just look odd without them!

I took mine off as I didn't want people to know that I didn't have the 65.

Had my E63 detailed over the weekend and decided to leave the badges on , same as my C63.

Having followed a debadged , white, C63 in Maidstone this morning, I'm glad I left them on , they just look odd without them!

Too many C Class diesel boys adding quad exhausts...

I've been on the M6 today and haven't seen a single de badged Ford ,Vauxhall Toyota ect dk:

I've seen plenty of Vauxhalls de-badged at the front over the years...

Personal preference really - for me, it is easier and more aesthetically pleasing to live with a de-badged boot.

Lot's of snobby comments here aimed at the smaller engines and entry models which are apparently 'trying to hide their identity' by debadging.

JohnEBoy said:
I've seen plenty of Vauxhalls de-badged at the front over the years...

It's common in our area because some buy from Trade Sales and they're all sold as Opels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom