To die in the Supermarket Car Park.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I moved into our street every body parked nose in to kerb, I parked rear to kerb being ex forces we were always told to park for easy escape. After a couple of weeks all the street are parking rear to kerb because they've seen how quick I get away in the morning going to work.

My point was, that it does seem these days that no matter what we are attempting, there is somebody who is attempting to get themselves in or way, regardless of what harm they are putting themselves in the way of. Lemmings is one word that springs to mind here. Closely followed by suicidal.

Reversing into spaces? I would hazard a guess that if I did this other things would happen.

1) Mrs M would complain she can't get her shopping into the boot as the tailgate gets rammed against the fence,wall, person behind the car.

2) More people would just navigate themselves into position behind the car, in it's new orientation.

There really is a desire among certain shoppers to kill themselves by being crushed under the rear of other peoples cars. They then want to blame to drivers of these cars. I can read their tombstones now: "Here lies Elsie squashed by a reversing car as she wandered around aimlessly behind it"

I hate supermarkets in general and the car park is quite possibly the worst bit!

It's rare I ever end up in one I can recall sitting in the car waiting and just watching people. Very few people have any consideration for other vehicles or people. Opening doors onto other cars, parking at hopeless angles, letting trolleys roll into cars and of course just wandering out in front of moving vehicles.

I can't help but think the average supermarket car park brings out the absolute worst in people and the, 'Me first' mentality of so many.

I Check the sides of my cars when I return to my car in supermarket carparks. Am I the only one.

I'm like this in all car parks. I've parked in one today which I know is safe enough, it's a business car park and only allows pre-registered vehicles through the barrier but I'll still be looking round my car just in case.

I Check the sides of my cars when I return to my car in supermarket carparks. Am I the only one.

Are you IAM?
Always told to look around car on return to check tyres and for damage.

Should always reverse into space so you can see if anything is in the space and easier and quicker to exit

Using Parktronic also helps

But can be a problem in some car parks to get to boot when you have been shopping

I recall someone on here saying that there was some kind of police correct way to park in the supermarket, I think it was reverse in, so beware all you drive straight inners - the police know you are wrong.

My wife always reverse parks into spaces. She went on a safety course by some ex-coppers, who told her to do this so that the car door acts as a barrier between her getting into the car and anyone trying to hassle her. Also quick getaway as driving straight out.

The ex-police man doing the course came into the group of 10 and said, "OK, who is Mrs xx, and do you live at <full address>" - as a warning not to leave the post face up on the car seat too.. (which I sometime do if postman arriving as I leave)

R

just wandering out in front of moving vehicles.
This annoyance has multiplied exponentially since I started driving the Lexus in EV mode. A polite toot on the horn usually results in a very satisfying startle :rolleyes::D

Are you IAM?
Always told to look around car on return to check tyres and for damage.

Should always reverse into space so you can see if anything is in the space and easier and quicker to exit

Using Parktronic also helps

But can be a problem in some car parks to get to boot when you have been shopping

No I am not, but the carpark with the ally way between the spaces should be rolled out across the country and reverse parking made mandatory, this might help those that cant reverse park for toffee as practice makes perfect as they say. there is an Asda local to me where it has this central walkway but only on the parents and children spaces which makes perfect sense as no kids in the roadway. it also has about a 400mm wide hash markings between all parking bays so more room to get out or more importantly others to get out without hitting your car. there is to many instances of company's putting in 1250 car parking bays in a space only big enough for 1000 bays.

I recall someone on here saying that there was some kind of police correct way to park in the supermarket, I think it was reverse in, so beware all you drive straight inners - the police know you are wrong.

I know I mentioned that you “should” reverse into and drive out of a driveway to a main road. This after I had some clot reverse out his driveway and into my side causing £3.5k’s damage. Not so sure on the correct practise for Parking Bays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it also has about a 400mm wide hash markings between all parking bays so more room to get out or more importantly others to get out without hitting your car
I sometimes feel this extra space just enables a greater momentum to be attained before connecting with the adjacent car!

My neighbour is an accident waiting to happen.

At the end of our drive we leave our property cross a pavement and enter a cul-de-sac.

There are hedges/fences at our exit which is only 8 foot wide so little room for manoeuvre, nobhead neighbour's drive (which sloped down steeply) is on our left and angled away from ours a little so he has to cross our path to exit. There is a footpath the emerges from between our drives and also crosses the pavement.

Guy next door always drives in and reverses out, we always drive in and turn outside the house so drive out also.

Because he reverses out up a steep hill he has no idea what is behind him, all his mirrors are pointing at the sky.

He nearly reversed into my Mrs when she was inching out of our drive because in his SUV he didn't see her, Mums with prams have to anticipate his blind reversing and either scurry past or wait for him to emerge.

It would be pointless telling him, he's been doing it so long he will argue that there's never been a problem.

I know I mentioned that you “should” reverse into and drive out of a driveway to a main road. This after I had some clot reverse out his driveway and into my side causing £3.5k’s damage. Not so sure on the correct practise for Parking Bays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it was one of the forum members who are part of some special driving training group who know better than the likes of us.

No matter what I always park in the furthest away parking space well away from the main door nearly always the only car parked in that area and have vastly reduced the inconsiderate supermarket dings from door openers and trolly crashers.

I think it's always preferable to reverse in. So as you drive past, ready to reverse in, someone will drive straight in ahead of you. Then the fun begins.

Yesterday as i sat in my car in the supermarket car park, i saw a lady reverse out of her parking space into the side of a car parked opposite. The car she drove into was actually not in a designated parking space and badly parked. Nevertheless, she got out, inspected the damage, wrote a note and left it under the wiper blade and drove off. How refreshing I thought. There are decent, honest people about. Five minutes later she returned, stopped alongside the car, recovered the note and drove off :(

I sometimes feel this extra space just enables a greater momentum to be attained before connecting with the adjacent car!
LOL, allows me a good swing with my right boot also if needed. Seriously though its one of the best car parks as in space size I've visited.

No matter what I always park in the furthest away parking space well away from the main door nearly always the only car parked in that area and have vastly reduced the inconsiderate supermarket dings from door openers and trolly crashers.

In my experience this means nothing, I come back out and you would think my car has attracted a lot of friends over to park next to it, Or someone else has parked right next to me even if theirs not another car parked within 10 spaces of mine, what the hell is that all about Lol.

I have a confession to make, SWMBO is so aggressive on the road that even as a passenger she yells at anyone who fails to give way or walks in front or behind the car whilst parking.

Usually this behaviour I ignore but lately driving with the top down all her victims can now hear her! I can see myself getting drawn into a punch up soon by less tolerant victims of her wrath!

I have tried calming her down but only seems to make matters worse, apart from divorce any advice would be useful?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I have a confession to make, SWMBO is so aggressive on the road that even as a passenger she yells at anyone who fails to give way or walks in front or behind the car whilst parking.

Usually this behaviour I ignore but lately driving with the top down all her victims can now hear her! I can see myself getting drawn into a punch up soon by less tolerant victims of her wrath!

I have tried calming her down but only seems to make matters worse, apart from divorce any advice would be useful?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Buy a tin top, turn stereo right up, leave SWIMBO at home and volunteer to do all shopping lol. go to the gym and bulk up, man up and tell SWIMBO to shut it and anyone else that wants a go ;)

For the sake of keeping my car free of car park dings I always park in the remotest corner and walk.
The exercise is an added bonus and usually there a trolley park nearby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom