To die in the Supermarket Car Park.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What's the difference between an Man and a woman at a supermarket checkout ?

A man is able to predict that he will have to pay so plans ahead and has his money ready.
...a man can go in to get 5 items and come out with...5 items.

To keep the tax man happy, I have a part time job in Aldi.

I could literally write a book on what happens there with the inbreeds (sorry customers), parking, deliveries and shoplifters etc etc

Yesterday I left at 11pm to find a drunk pissing up my car even though the car park was completely empty.

Day before yesterday I came out of work to find someone had gobbed all down the side of my car, lovely

Maybe an exaggeration, but it feels to me like not.

I can sit in a deserted Supermarket Car Park awaiting Mrs M’s return from her latest foray into retail wonderland.

As soon as I engage reverse gear (I like to reverse out of a space, but am aware other gears are available). The floor of the Car Park immediately starts to heave with humans all intent on throwing themselves under the rear wheels of my car. Quite literally people armed with trollies or small people appear from nowhere in biblical numbers. It’s like a Zombie Movie as they lurch around attracted by some invisible force to the cars bum end. Then they look at me with the look that says “how dare you drive in this Car Park?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like when you park where no one else is. someone parks right next to you in the next space and the next car is 20 spaces away

By choice I would always reverse park, but in Germany this isn't allowed in many multi-stories. Something to do with exhaust fume extraction IIRC, although maybe it's just that they don't want sooty diesel marks up the walls :D

Like when you park where no one else is. someone parks right next to you in the next space and the next car is 20 spaces away

What's wrong with people and space?
I used an escalator in Debenhams early yesterday morning, half way up someone stepped on it & proceeded to climb up to the step directly behind me and stand next to me, still the only two people in the store! And yes, when I returned to the empty car park, someone had parked next to me. On the way out I witnessed a young lady getting out of the passenger side of a car, as her partner reversed into a space so tight she would not have been able to open her door. This in a car park that must hold 1000 cars but he chose to park amongst the six or so parked nearest the door to the shops as if walking a few yards more would kill them.

By choice I would always reverse park, but in Germany this isn't allowed in many multi-stories. Something to do with exhaust fume extraction IIRC, although maybe it's just that they don't want sooty diesel marks up the walls :D

Illegal in Florida too, but only because they don't have front number plates and you are required to park with the rear plate facing outwards. But they do angle the spaces usually and they are larger, so reversing out is safe and easy.

What's wrong with people and space?
I used an escalator in Debenhams early yesterday morning, half way up someone stepped on it & proceeded to climb up to the step directly behind me and stand next to me, still the only two people in the store! And yes, when I returned to the empty car park, someone had parked next to me. On the way out I witnessed a young lady getting out of the passenger side of a car, as her partner reversed into a space so tight she would not have been able to open her door. This in a car park that must hold 1000 cars but he chose to park amongst the six or so parked nearest the door to the shops as if walking a few yards more would kill them.

People are generally lazy. I was at B&Q today - parked well away. As we are walking across the empty car park a guy in a new Volvo -- drives as close as he can get to the entrance and actually waits for somebody closer to the doors to leave.

Just too lazy to walk further and probably wants to be seen in his new car.

PS - you should have farted on the escalator.....

We've been doing most of our food shopping online. Life's too short to be wandering around the shelves with the zombies. Click and as if by magic our cupboards are refilled without even going outside.

I also like online shopping for groceries but find that they tend to send the "old stuff". I even had a problem with beers from Amazon that were right in their use by date and tasted off (I did work for a brewery and know what a fresh beer tastes like ). We tend to buy bulk stuff online (cokes, wine, bog roll, etc) and buy fresh produce in person. Also found that buying from M&S and Waitrose - fresh produce seems to keep longer and quality is noticeably better and therefore, need to shop less often.

Illegal in Florida too, but only because they don't have front number plates and you are required to park with the rear plate facing outwards. But they do angle the spaces usually and they are larger, so reversing out is safe and easy.

That's not so bad then. Reversing a Vito out of a narrow space at 90 degrees isn't much fun!

I had tried replying with quotes, but the page kept refreshing, and the last refresh took my reply away, and wiped the quotes, so apology's for the broken context of my reply(s), but they will hopefully make sense if you have read the preceding reply's.

Re the car crash\note post;
I heard of a similar thing, where a guy hit a car, got out, looked around, and wrote a note over some minutes, and put it on the other car, and drove off smiling at the onlookers, turned out because everyone thought he was doing the right thing no one bothered to note anything down, and when the note was read it simply stated they were writing the note with everyone watching, and said they had no intention of fessing up, you just never know any more.

Re Parking nose in;
I reverse park 99% of the time, for 2 reasons, Security, when I had a 10 disk multi changer in the boot, the cost of the original disks (before ripping was done) wasn’t cheap, so backing up to my wall meant they were secure.

Then it’s Safety, more so in the winter\miserable weather, when your windows were steamed up, the risk of hitting someone, or something became a very real danger, I know the hardcore will say you shouldn’t move off until your windows are clear etc, and they would be correct, but lets face it how many do that, and even if you could see clearly, in the wrong conditions it still can be dangerous, even if only because another entity has not cleared their glass, and doesn’t see you in time, because you can see less reversing than you can going forward, if only due to the time it takes to look all round, you always get that little gap in reverse, than going forward, that’s my reasoning anyway.

Re Parking Bay sizes and Reversing out (a follow on from the previous);
From a design point of view a shop to to stack them, rack them, and pack them in, this puts the pressure on Architects to produce the maximum number of bays they can get in there, regardless of common sense more often than not, but it goes deeper than that, because Architects use preset data, a parking space already has the sizes and angles to place each bay in the plot juggling as they go, the problem is when you come to site, it’s not that simple, because what works on paper, becomes a totally different thing when it comes to practice, it takes only the slightest of error (e.g. 10mm) at one point, albeit on paper, and\or on site, and it makes things well messed up, because one thing works on paper, it doesn’t mean it will work in practice, which I have seen many times.

Also when I last knew the reg's, if a person wanted to put a drive into their property, from a main road, planning permission would be refused if they could not turn round in their property to drive out forwards, as it is illegal to reverse onto a main road, the last I knew anyway.

I hope this explains a couple of things, or at least a perspective from a common sense, and from an insight on building design.

Also when I last knew the reg's, if a person wanted to put a drive into their property, from a main road, planning permission would be refused if they could not turn round in their property to drive out forwards, as it is illegal to reverse onto a main road, the last I knew anyway

As I understood it from a couple of years ago when somebody reversed off their drive Ito a main road and into the side of my passing car.

The “Highway Code” advises that you should “reverse in, drive out”. This is not a legal requirement. A failure to do so “may” result in a prosecution for driving without due care or dangerous driving. There is no specific offence.

My case went to court and the driver was charged and found guilty. I did speak to the Police etc at the time and that was their advice.

Happy to be corrected.

Also when I last knew the reg's, if a person wanted to put a drive into their property, from a main road, planning permission would be refused if they could not turn round in their property to drive out forwards, as it is illegal to reverse onto a main road, the last I knew anyway

As I understood it from a couple of years ago when somebody reversed off their drive Ito a main road and into the side of my passing car.

The “Highway Code” advises that you should “reverse in, drive out”. This is not a legal requirement. A failure to do so “may” result in a prosecution for driving without due care or dangerous driving. There is no specific offence.

My case went to court and the driver was charged and found guilty. I did speak to the Police etc at the time and that was their advice.

Happy to be corrected.

From the Highway Code: Using the road - Reversing (200 to 203)

Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

Interesting. It does not say (or I have missed it?) what to do “if you can’t”

I am assuming (dangerous for me) that if you takes the risk, you take the punishment if, you are found to be at fault?

* Dangerous or Careless Driving.
* Driving without Due Care & Attention.

I guess this strayed from the Car Park. But I would like to know the correct legal position for both?

Any motoring lawyers?

Happy to be corrected.

Pity he didn't have a new MB fitted with cross traffic protection.....my son (last week) discovered that it works really well. He was carefully backing out of his driveway (visibly of the street is really restricted because a van parks next to his gate and it is a narrow village road) & his car suddenly slammed on brakes, as a car came rapidly past his rear end.

Around my area the council seem not to care too much, there will always be people who knock down their front garden wall/fence to make a parking space and then (illegally) drive over the pavement on to the road. These people can be dealt with through the law , but in my experience rarely are but on a busy road near me three legal curb drops have passed planning and have been allowed to be installed . All 3 come out on to a fairly busy road with cars and vans parked all along it and in may cases the driver coming off his 'new' drive way will have 100% zero chance of seeing anything coming.

I know they are legal council approved installations as one of them has been installed at a friends (of 20 plus years) house and the other one in the house of a bloke I have known from my local pub for about 10 years so I have heard all about the planning permission etc .

When they first started talking about getting a drop installed (they live a few 100 yards apart but sort of know each other) the general consensus within our 'social group' is that neither would ever get permission granted because of the potential danger AND the fact that both houses have rear access with drive and garage to the rear.

Wrong. No accidents yet , and I hope there never is one , but there is no guarantee under the circumstances.

Around my area the council seem not to care too much, there will always be people who knock down their front garden wall/fence to make a parking space and then (illegally) drive over the pavement on to the road. These people can be dealt with through the law , but in my experience rarely are but on a busy road near me three legal curb drops have passed planning and have been allowed to be installed . All 3 come out on to a fairly busy road with cars and vans parked all along it and in may cases the driver coming off his 'new' drive way will have 100% zero chance of seeing anything coming.

I know they are legal council approved installations as one of them has been installed at a friends (of 20 plus years) house and the other one in the house of a bloke I have known from my local pub for about 10 years so I have heard all about the planning permission etc .

When they first started talking about getting a drop installed (they live a few 100 yards apart but sort of know each other) the general consensus within our 'social group' is that neither would ever get permission granted because of the potential danger AND the fact that both houses have rear access with drive and garage to the rear.

Wrong. No accidents yet , and I hope there never is one , but there is no guarantee under the circumstances.

Do they reverse out?

Do they reverse out?
Well Doctor...one of the drops is opposite my local and the lady of the house across the way has us bar fly's in stitches when she tries to get in and out of the parking area...it's not a drive , more like a parking lot for eight cars and the drop is a 'double' serving two properties and is VERY wide.
To be polite let's just say she drives a very small car that must feel big to her and on a few occasions my pub buddy who owns the house has had to come out to help her park after she has phoned him from the car !

And to answer your question ..all sorts of visitors to the 2 properties often reverse out when they can't turn around...dodgy.

Happy to be corrected.

No correction required, my last dealings were over 30 years ago before I retired, but there are numerous variables with these things, with local council and county councils having varied restrictions etc, so what may be true in one place, could be wrong in another, add to that being out of the loop for the last 30 years I may well be mixing up the various reg's etc, but back then you would be denied planning permission if you could not turn round and drive out forwards on to a main road, side roads is another matter, but here you can do the drop kerb yourself if applied for and granted this, and approach the county council (I think as it's a long time ago) and be allowed to do this, you would have to pay a returnable deposit which would pay for the job to be done, if they decided that your work was not up to code, in which case you would lose your deposit, and they would do the job again themselves, it just stops the cowboys from getting in lol.

But if a person has breached building and\or council\building reg's, they can be forced to reinstate the original condition, all you need to do is tell\ask the council of such a job in an area where it would not be allowed, and they will investigate the matter and depending on their findings\response (or mood as it may seem at times), they would be forced to comply with their decision, if they didn't, they would do it and charge them for the works and probably costs as well, not so long ago a nightclub owner here had built some kind of granny flat attached to their house IIRC, no applications let alone permissions were ever sort\given, and when they found out they served him with a notice to pull it down, anyway months of legal stuff and courts later, the councils order was sustained, and he was given a date to do it by, if not they would do it, and bill him for it, guess who had fun, and guess who got a big bill lol, stupid in a way because the guy was loaded, he just thought he was above the law, and not for the first time either, anyway I just know there is a lot of legislation that covers such things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom