To get MB to service my car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kalvin928

Car
S205 C63s , Lotus Carlton replica, CLK 200 Kompressor
Hi im 17 days over on my D service and getting some prices in. i rang MB Watford and they; not surprisingly couldn't find any recent services done. and gave me 2 prices; A was around £240 and B service was around £440. i have only done 3000 miles since i bought car last year and at that time Andy at PCD, sorted out a few issues. subsequently looking at receipts, gearbox filter, oil was all done; I say this as this is probably one on the main items that would need attention on my car which has just reached 81,500. Anyway i thought Mercedes price seemed reasonable but am concerned at how they will treat the 'mods'. Will this have any bearing on what they anticipate doing? i am well aware who meticulous/ over zealous they may possibly be and hope i instigate any potential works with them, however if i just stick to the main service requirement, surely its not a major issue. all i can see needs doing is discs and pads, oil and filter, possibly plugs and any of the other 'essentials' of D/B/A service. Any opinions appreciated, i don't have any probs with indus and just intrigued to see if its worth giving Mercedes-benz authorised garage a go?

Sounds like you need an A service if the ATF was changed recently. In my experience MB dealers won't do more work than authorised or quoted for, they will advise you and quote for work they see as necessary or coming up shortly.

The prices for A and B service from MB seem reasonable enough.

see whas been done prior, just check the service book and call the place that done the last service.

also take your own oil and save money.

mines due a B service in a few mnths time. remember the w211 is 12K or 2 years, alot of people forget this and get it done annually.

see whas been done prior, just check the service book and call the place that done the last service.

also take your own oil and save money.

mines due a B service in a few mnths time. remember the w211 is 12K or 2 years, alot of people forget this and get it done annually.

Sweet, learn something new everyday. I need to check my service and see which marker I have hit.

The prices you were quoted are reasonabe for MB dealer service.

As others said have a look at the service schedule online.

On a general note, consider:

Filters: Air, Fuel, Cabin/Pollen

Fluids: Engine Oil, ATF (if automatic), Brake Fluid, Engine Coolant (unless 15 years coolant).

Other: Spark Plugs (if petrol)

The above are scheduled service items that need attention at fixed intervsls i.e. every number of years or mileage, and are not included in the routine service schedules A and B etc.

When you book your car for A or B service, you will be advised by the dealer's service advisor regarding any items from the list above that may need replacing as well in addition to the routine service.

Other service items - such as brake discs and pads, shocks, battery etc - are replaced based on condition and not at pre-prescribed time intervals or mileage.

why not change most of those things yoself, its very easy eg oil air pollen filters, brake pads, oil, coolant and save yourself a fortune.the garage will rip your pocket apart i have just changed all the above today including plugs and it took me 2.5 hours and i can tell you that i am not a mechanic, just my opinion

why not change most of those things yoself, its very easy eg oil air pollen filters, brake pads, oil, coolant and save yourself a fortune.the garage will rip your pocket apart i have just changed all the above today including plugs and it took me 2.5 hours and i can tell you that i am not a mechanic, just my opinion
Hi I have followed your example and now try to do as much as possible myself.
I changed the in cabin dust filter - and the air filter -
However, my service book mentions
replace activated charcoal filter Model 210 ref 8382
every 2 years. I am confused - is this the same as the dust filter or?
Appreciate your kind advice

Hi I have followed your example and now try to do as much as possible myself.
I changed the in cabin dust filter - and the air filter -
However, my service book mentions
replace activated charcoal filter Model 210 ref 8382
every 2 years. I am confused - is this the same as the dust filter or?
Appreciate your kind advice

Activated charcoal is a better type of pollen/cabin/dust filter whatever you want to call it

Doing it yourself is great for saving money.

Be aware though that a service involves checking many things. Some might even say it's the MB technician looking for work well fine! They will only report what needs doing. They won't invent issues for the sake of making money (opens flood gates!)

When one of my cars comes back from the dealership with a clean sheet i know there are no developing issues that could have been resolved before any major expense.

Closes flood gates!!!

...all i can see needs doing is discs and pads, oil and filter, possibly plugs and any of the other 'essentials' of D/B/A service.

If it needs discs, pads and plugs then that's going to be expensive at a dealership unless they'll give you a massive discount due to the car's age.

If you've got a decent indie available then I don't see any reaosn to use the franchised dealer unless you want to maintain the Mobilo coverage - if that's already gone, then going back to a dealer is a bit pointless (and costly).

Mobilo coverage is not worth having;
You must pay inflated dealer rates in order to get the cover.
In the event that you need to use that cover they will ONLY take you to an authorised dealer.
An authorised dealer then has you over a barrel.

It's far cheaper to use an indie and join the RAC/AA/Green flag etc.

Mobilo coverage is not worth having;
You must pay inflated dealer rates in order to get the cover.
In the event that you need to use that cover they will ONLY take you to an authorised dealer.
An authorised dealer then has you over a barrel.

It's far cheaper to use an indie and join the RAC/AA/Green flag etc.

Depends.

It works for me as I don't do many miles so the car only needs servicing every 2yrs - therefore I get two years breakdown cover "free". And while everyone will know that I think dealer servicing cost is a rip-off, I checked a couple of local indies for the last service and they were (somewhat remarkably :) ) exactly the same price as each other at only £10 cheaper.

I've never tested Mobilo and hope I never have to, but the big benefit I hop it woul bring is that I do long runs in the car so if it packs up down South I should be able to continue my trip in the hire car.

I also would want the car taking to a dealer as I have dealer rate Warranty Direct cover.

Depends.

It works for me as I don't do many miles so the car only needs servicing every 2yrs - therefore I get two years breakdown cover "free". And while everyone will know that I think dealer servicing cost is a rip-off, I checked a couple of local indies for the last service and they were (somewhat remarkably :) ) exactly the same price as each other at only £10 cheaper.

I've never tested Mobilo and hope I never have to, but the big benefit I hop it woul bring is that I do long runs in the car so if it packs up down South I should be able to continue my trip in the hire car.

I also would want the car taking to a dealer as I have dealer rate Warranty Direct cover.

Similar here, although I've used Mobilo and found it to be very good. Difference in service costs between MB and independents isn't huge in my area.

I have Green Flag cover too, best of both worlds.

Do you mean each service is 12k or 2 years or do you mean the B service?

My indicator seems to tell me it needs a service every year...

Hmm. Same model and mine was serviced in May 2013. Bought the car in July'13 and the service indicator showed 8000+ miles to next service. If I bring it up now, it's showing 6000+ miles to next service even though 14 months have passed since it's last service?

Hmm, could be right then.

I don't think I do 12,000 miles though.

I will have to look at the mileage gaps on my service history methinks!

Nope each service, mines been 18 months now since last service and still got 4 k left till next service.

Mb service isn't that expensive if you supply own oil and if the dealership will allow the extra bits to be done outside the dealership. I buy all my parts from the same dealership so it all helps.

Mobilio is still pretty good, only one bad experience bug the rest have been good.

I had a look in my service book last night.

Each service is roughly 10,000 miles and close to a year apart including my ownership (apart from one which was 7 months apart but still 10,000 miles).

Saying that, that's not far off 12,000 I suppose and I do tend to book it in when it first alerts me rather than hold out for as long as possible.

My old M3 used to take into account how the car was driven so I guess these do the same although I always wait for the car to reach temperature before any spirited driving.

My concern was my car was selling me a duffer with the intervals but it sounds OK!

How many miles per year do you guys do?

I don't know if it's the same in your car but in the diesel's you have to set the correct oil quality in the cluster service menu to get the extended intervals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom