To get MB to service my car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Merc Owner 2B said:
Doing it yourself is great for saving money. Be aware though that a service involves checking many things. Some might even say it's the MB technician looking for work well fine! They will only report what needs doing. They won't invent issues for the sake of making money (opens flood gates!) When one of my cars comes back from the dealership with a clean sheet i know there are no developing issues that could have been resolved before any major expense. Closes flood gates!!!

You must have a very good dealer. I use an independent who really does check that everything has been done or that there are no upcoming issues to deal with.

Some might even say it's the MB technician looking for work well fine! They will only report what needs doing. They won't invent issues for the sake of making money (opens flood gates!)

When one of my cars comes back from the dealership with a clean sheet i know there are no developing issues that could have been resolved before any major expense.

You've eluded to it being a contentious issue so you must suspect dealers aren't always honest.

Fact is, I've experienced first-hand some examples of 'this needs replacing' on other people's cars who have asked me for a second opinion - when clearly it doesn't need replacing - unless the benchmark is 'replace anything that isn't new anymore'.

I check cars before they go in for a service so that if I am contacted to advise that something routine needs doing, I know the score before hand.

Each to their own and you are happy to blindly accept recommendations, that is your prerogative. However, I would be annoyed had I spent money unnecessarily as well as the impact to the environment.

I don't know if it's the same in your car but in the diesel's you have to set the correct oil quality in the cluster service menu to get the extended intervals.

Anyone know for E55Ks?

I seem to remember something like this with BMW actually (specifically the E39 5 series when they first started doing 18k intervals).

I am doing 10k and the interval is 2k so it's not far off in any case...

How many miles per year do you guys do?

At the moment, mine is used as a second car and has only done 2500 miles in just over a year. Even though it will be my only car when I pack in work in November, it will still only do under 5k a year.
It will be serviced whatever the cluster says before May next year when I expect it to have only done maybe 6k miles since it's last service. But it will be 2 yrs so I won't leave it any longer.

Our AMGs are all 12 months or 10,000 miles, even dating back to the days when variable service intervals were current. The 32K engine is very similar in design and engineering to the 55K engine and that is 12 months or 10,000 miles too.

Alps, are you going by your service indicator or basing it from when you last did it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom