To LPG or not to LPG??!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc180k

Car
C180K Avantgarde SE Sport
Hi all,

Want to seek opinions here.....

With the rising (again) cost of petrol, I'm toying with the idea of an LPG conversion. Has anyone done this or decided not to do this? Reasons, discussions, etc.... I'm interested in opinions.

Cheers

Simon

I looked into it with my 3.2 A6, problem is I wouldn't have really saved money for 3 years doing 30k miles a year, and would have had to run it for 6 years to make a real saving. Then a lot of people reckoned that the government would have taxed lpg to the point where it wasn't saving half as much within 3 years anyway, so I forgot about it.

Mileage mileage mileage is really the answer as has been said. "Miles driven" only qualified by the "gas guzzling"nature of your car. Obviously a big V8 petrol engined 4X4 is going to get your money back quicker. Don't rely on enhancing the resale value when you come to sell. You need to claw back the cost during your ownership. You can't take an LPG car through the channel tunnel if that's a concern. Wouldn't contemplate it on a C 180K to be honest.

I had my ML500 converted and have not regretted it at all, I have done around 15K miles in it since converting and its paid for itself.

I haven't noticed any loss in power or smoothness of the engine and best of all when I fill up I still smile at the liters spinning round quicker than the ££££ sign....

I've had it in for about 10 months now without any problems, I was very worried initially about the install but they have done a great job at keeping it discreet.

I had the ML fully serviced with all 12 spark plugs changed after the install and no problems there with the LPG system serviced soon after and again no problems.

As grober says it's all about the mileage but I'd like to add the size of the engine to that, I concur with the bit about not adding any value to the car at resale as I too am in the process of selling, it's going to be a hard car to let go and I've had a fair bit of interest with the LPG conversion adding to that but no takers yet...

Overall I am very pleased at the outcome. Any further question just ask.

Mark

Talking to a friend over the weekend he was saying that LPG has recently gone up from 55p/l to 80p/l. It seems that with LPG prices not being regulated any more is much less of a straight forward bet now.

Talking to a friend over the weekend he was saying that LPG has recently gone up from 55p/l to 80p/l. It seems that with LPG prices not being regulated any more is much less of a straight forward bet now.

I has risen quite sharply but so has petrol, is that regulated as it's gone through the roof latley!!!!
I have noticed over the year though that it does rise and fall along with other fuels, in my area it's between 63p to 73p per liter. Even at 80pp/l it's still 50pp/l less than diesel....;) How long ago was petrol at this price?:confused:

M.

Prices do seem to be on the rise? Unfortunately as soon as any fuel achieves significant "market penetration" this equates to " loss of revenue" in taxation terms. I suspect this the major reason that the introduction of electric cars is being delayed since at the moment its difficult to see how government can tax it effectively ?

Last edited:
i thought about LPG'ing my 7 series when I had it.

but everyone then said, the tax would go up bringing it to near the same as normal unleaded, so i didnt and sold the car.

however today, LPG is more or less as cheap as it was then (about half cost of unleaded)

i'd do it if you plan to keep the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom