To make you all feel better on this cold evening, I am posting my new road tax rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mb240

Car
W208 CLK55 AMG
€1491/year, up by €148 in the 2008 budget.

That's UK£1073.70p at today's exchange rate.

Still worth every penny.........:)

Wow that's crazy, I'd heared that tax was expensive in ROI, guess it won't be long till we're faced with this sort of level in the UK

Does that include free fuel or a surprse gift or something?

and their public transport is so cheap, you can afford not to have a car

Yup you've got to look at the whole 'cost of living' picture really.

From memory the ROI don't have water rates and council tax...?

Ah yes that is true. We have punishing stamp duty tax on houses, but no council tax.

It's really just about cars though here :) which is why I mentioned it. It's based on engine size and not road usage, which is something I can't get my head around (e.g., pay more tax for a bigger engine even if you drive much less than someone with 1.4litre punto who does 40k a year).

It's all relative, but I don't have to be happy about it! I can do without water.....but no car?!?

Ah yes that is true. We have punishing stamp duty tax on houses, but no council tax.

It's really just about cars though here :) which is why I mentioned it. It's based on engine size and not road usage, which is something I can't get my head around (e.g., pay more tax for a bigger engine even if you drive much less than someone with 1.4litre punto who does 40k a year).

It's all relative, but I don't have to be happy about it! I can do without water.....but no car?!?

that is truly amazing ....i can only last about 7 days then i die .....:D ;)

In Portugal you pay Road Tax according to the size of the engine and the year of the car. Older cars pay LESS tax. E.G. A car between 2,600cc and 3,000cc manufactured after 1995 costs 126 euros. Whereas a car manufactured in 1989 with same size engine will cost only 23 euros!
The most tax is for cars over 3,501 cc which attract 357 euros.

In Portugal you pay Road Tax according to the size of the engine and the year of the car. Older cars pay LESS tax. E.G. A car between 2,600cc and 3,000cc manufactured after 1995 costs 126 euros. Whereas a car manufactured in 1989 with same size engine will cost only 23 euros!
The most tax is for cars over 3,501 cc which attract 357 euros.

Some days I feel like emigrating to Portugal, even with the SL

Interesting concept... Madeira John.

I guess that idea is possibly more environmentally sound than the disposable car culture we have here.

I dont think I've seen a proper study looking at whether it is better for the environment to continue running old relatively inneficient cars or to replace with new less polluting ones.

The carbon footprint of building a new car alone has to equate to many thousands of miles running an older vehicle. I wonder where the crossover point where one should make the transition?

I did wonder whether in years to come there will be a thriving mass market involving simple engine swaps, taking big old thirsty engines out of older vehicles and replacing them with efficient more environmentally sound and up to date power plants without the need to replace the whole car.

So how much is a litre of petrol or diesel in Eire?

What is the road tax based on?

Engine size? Pollution?

Here, we pay approx 325€ (gasoline and diesel with particle filter) or approx 400€ (diesel without paricle filter).

Sounds like a bargain, but we pay our asses off when purchasing new cars. Starting price of a C200 CDI is € 50.000

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom