To run flat or not to run flat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PistolPete220d

Car
E class 220d
Hi, just took delivery of a 2016 e class 220d (w213). It's fitted with standard tyres with a can of sealant in the boot. Was considering fitting runflats for piece of mind but don't want to ruin the ride comfort as this is such a great feature of the car. Anyone, had experience in this that can help guide my decision? Thanks

Hi Pete, we have an X5 that just had a can in the boot. After a bad experience in my SL - puncture on m25 and took 5 hours to fit new tyre - I decided for peace of mind when my wife is driving, to get runflats fitted to the X5.

We’ve been running them for maybe six months, and although initially they felt very harsh ( they are very low profile too), I’m now getting used to them. If I changed them I would get a space saver spare and not rely on rattle can - I bought a spare for the SL.

good luck 👍

I’ve not had a flat (normal roads) for at least 25 years. I cannot actually recall the last time I got one so I stick with the compressor, gunk and MB Moblio service but, I also do not have to commute.

Make sure the driver of the car is aware of the limitations of runflats. Distance & speed with a puncture is restricted.

My experience is that women do not seem to notice things like flat wheels.

A friend in a Volvo (XC90) did not notice that he had a flat (on runflats) & when he eventually realised there was a problem, the tyre was shredded.

Hi, just took delivery of a 2016 e class 220d (w213). It's fitted with standard tyres with a can of sealant in the boot. Was considering fitting runflats for piece of mind but don't want to ruin the ride comfort as this is such a great feature of the car. Anyone, had experience in this that can help guide my decision? Thanks
Hello Pete. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new car. 🥳

I’ve just gone the opposite route to you in changing from Run flats to standard tyres. The ride (19’s on C Class estate) was far too harsh for us. So, a can of gunk in the boot just in case.

However Dickster raises a good argument for run flats. But we don’t commute and only do around 3-4K miles PA so our risk of being caught out is reduced.

I guess everyone’s circumstances and reasons are very different. Good luck. 👍

I’ve not had a flat (normal roads) for at least 25 years. I cannot actually recall the last time I got one so I stick with the compressor, gunk and MB Moblio service but, I also do not have to commute.

Make sure the driver of the car is aware of the limitations of runflats. Distance & speed with a puncture is restricted.

My experience is that women do not seem to notice things like flat wheels.

A friend in a Volvo (XC90) did not notice that he had a flat (on runflats) & when he eventually realised there was a problem, the tyre was shredded.

What makes it worse, is that the driver would have had to ignore the TPMS messages on the dash.... :doh:

Personally, I carry a carry a full-size spare in the Merc, and a space-saver in the Suzuki, plus a compressor and gunk kit in each car (just in case....).

Non-runflats have a more comfortable ride, are cheaper to buy, and in most cases punctures can be easily repaired.

Runflats have a harsher ride, are more expensive to buy, and in many cases punctures cannot be repaired.

BUT - being able to continue and drive the car until there's a safe place where you can stop, or in some cases even complete your journey, is a massive advantage of runflats. Even more so when it rains.... :D

Like most drivers, I had a few punctures, but luckily I never had one that forced me to stop in a dangerous location. But, as said, I am well aware of the limitations, if it did happen.

I’ve not had a flat (normal roads) for at least 25 years. I cannot actually recall the last time I got one....

I've not had a puncture that require the spare to be fitted in 51 years and that includes motorcycling. I have had the odd nail in a tyre that required a repair but the tyre didn't deflate more than a few psi and the nails were discovered only by inspection. That's the nature of tubeless tyres, they usually don't deflate catastrophically unless severely damaged. Maybe I've been lucky, although I've also never had tyres with a lower profile than 55 which could be a big factor. Whatever the reason, I view run flats as solution to a problem that barely exists and would never consider sacrificing ride comfort for such a rare event as a catastrophic deflation. For those who insist on the form over function of low profile tyres then you may wish to take an alternative view.

I think that the liklihood of punctures is a combination of luck, and where you drive and live.

Where I live in London, there are workers' vans everywhere, and there isn't a street without scaffolding against at least one property at any given point of time.... the result is that the pavements and streets are often littered with nails and screws (I often pick them up and place them in the bin).

Over the past 20 years, I had six punctures on my own cars, and in all cases I changed the wheel at the roadside (not a problem when in a built-up area with street parking). Five of the punctures were repairable, one was not - and it was on a one-week old Continental Premium Contact 2 MO tyre....

I had two other occasions where I needed to change a wheel at the roadside because of tyre damage, but these were due to hitting the kerb, by other drivers (not me) I should add.

And one of our daughters had a bit of an adventure when she was a passenger in a car driven by a friend, they had a flat tyre while driving and had to wait a couple of hours at the roadside for the AA before they were able to continue their journey.

.... the result is that the pavements and streets are often littered with nails and screws (I often pick them up and place them in the bin).

I pick them up and take them home, a collection of screws and nails always comes in handy :)

I pick them up and take them home, a collection of screws and nails always comes in handy :)

My friend Dave is real cheap and does the same, but then tells everyone he 'puts them in the bin'.... 😊

On a slightly different take on the run flat tyres, which, by anyone’s experience are the most compliant run flats. I mean as in ride quality and noise. My factory fitted Contis are due for renewal and I really want to stick with the run flats. The Contis are very harsh and noisy. The car is C200 AMG Line with 19inch wheels.

On a slightly different take on the run flat tyres, which, by anyone’s experience are the most compliant run flats. I mean as in ride quality and noise. My factory fitted Contis are due for renewal and I really want to stick with the run flats. The Contis are very harsh and noisy. The car is C200 AMG Line with 19inch wheels.

19" and runflats.... you'll struggle to get a soft ride out of this combination, I think.

What makes it worse, is that the driver would have had to ignore the TPMS messages on the dash.... :doh:
Wife....”Ive just noticed this message about tyre pressure”.
So I went and checked. Tyre was just about on the rim.
Slow puncture (builder’s nail). Must have been like that for several days.
Me "was the car handling ok?".
Her - “yes it was FINE” o_O .......etc.

We’ve got Goodyear on our X1, they are fine.

Thanks for your comments guys, I was swaying towards the Goodyear Eagle after reading other reviews.
Will keep you posted.

Hello Pete. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new car. 🥳

I’ve just gone the opposite route to you in changing from Run flats to standard tyres. The ride (19’s on C Class estate) was far too harsh for us. So, a can of gunk in the boot just in case.

However Dickster raises a good argument for run flats. But we don’t commute and only do around 3-4K miles PA so our risk of being caught out is reduced.

I guess everyone’s circumstances and reasons are very different. Good luck. 👍
Hi Ht73,
Is the difference substantial in swapping to ordinary tyres on your car. I have sourced a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Ass 5s ordinary tyres to replace my RFTs but still unsure weather to swap over.
As you know, mine are also 19s on AMG Line C200.
I also do very little mileage.

Hi Ht73,
Is the difference substantial in swapping to ordinary tyres on your car. I have sourced a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Ass 5s ordinary tyres to replace my RFTs but still unsure weather to swap over.
Honestly Keith, the difference is very obvious. but bear in mind I opted for All Season tyres to add even more comfort.

I also looked at the Goodyears you mentioned as well as the Hankook Ventus V12's.

Remember you'll need to buy a can of gunk or/and a spare wheel, brace & jack if you go for Non runlets.

Good luck, Ant.

NO NO NO NO ! VERY expensive, ruin the ride and have proved unreliable, also once punctured they're scrap, they cannot be repaired. :fail:

Hi Ht73,
If you do decide to do the change, please give a feedback on your findings with regards to the difference in ride quality, I have 20’s on mine currently, and am also considering changing when the time comes to non RFTs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom