To run flat or not to run flat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I must be very unlucky. I have had quite a lot of flats about 50% nails from the endless building development in leafy surrey and 50% from hairline cracks on the inner rims of my soft as butter AMG wheels. My sons BMW 1 series had run flats but we changed them to normal on wearing out to improve the ride which it did. So he now has gunk can and an RAC card.

If you do decide to do the change, please give a feedback on your findings with regards to the difference in ride quality, I have 20’s on mine currently, and am also considering changing when the time comes to non RFTs.
I have 20" cross spoke AMG alloys with ordinary tyres.
I'd never had run flats ever, and given what I hear about the harsh ride I'd hate to think what my E63 would be like.
Its bad enough with the ordinary tyres.

Thanks Ant and you other guys. Will let you know what I decide on, but pretty much now steering towards non run flats and space saver, total cost around £800. A big chunk of money😱
But you’ll only have to buy the space saver once. Then it will be £600 + to change all four as opposed to about double that for run flats!!! My only worry is how much you notice the difference in handling/cornering with non run flats.

My C43 had runflats as standard and when they were changed by MB (FOC) to try and negate the crabbing issue a little (which they did) they replaced them with Continental OE runflats. I have 19" wheels and I don't find the ride unbearbly harsh, even in Sport+ mode where everything is tightened up. In fact I don't find the ride harsh at all in Comfort mode.

I can't help but think that if runflats were what the car had coming out of the factory, wouldn't the suspension be set up to take that into account? I know it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference in that respect, but whilst the car is in warranty I can't help but think that if I changed the tyres to normal ones and somethng went wrong with a suspension component, how much arguing the toss would be involved if MB said well you're not using the runflats like it was designed for. I'm also on the 'what if' boat and whilst I haven't had a puncture for years, I feel better knowing I had the ability to make sure I wasn't in the middle of a motorway or somewhere equally as unpleasant to break down in.

I have ordered four Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5s non run flats from my local tyre fitters. Total cost £520
Plus cost of space saver, about £140.
Will have them fitted week after next, will let you know how much difference it makes if any.
The tyres are the same size and profile as the run flats coming off so should make no difference to suspension geometry etc, I hope!

Last edited:
I have ordered four Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5s non run flats from my local tyre fitters. Total cost £620.
Plus cost of space saver, about £140.
Will have them fitted week after next, will let you know how much difference it makes if any.
The tyres are the same size and profile as the run flats coming off so should make no difference to suspension geometry etc, I hope!
Look forward to your observations.

Well guys, have had the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 5s non run flats fitted and the difference is very noticeable. Car now rides smoother and doesn’t skip and jump over drain covers and smaller pot holes.
Some tyre road noise but they are low profile and 19inch, so expected but loads quieter than the run flats.
Total cost was £630, forgot to add VAT to the quote I last posted, Arhhh😩
Will now buy a space saver as the foamy stuff is pretty useless I’ve heard. I don’t do many miles anyway.
All I seem to do lately is spend money this flipping car, still space saver to buy and the warranty runs out in August and will most likely renew it.
All the best, Keith

Well guys, have had the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 5s non run flats fitted and the difference is very noticeable. Car now rides smoother and doesn’t skip and jump over drain covers and smaller pot holes.
Some tyre road noise but they are low profile and 19inch, so expected but loads quieter than the run flats.
Total cost was £630, forgot to add VAT to the quote I last posted, Arhhh😩
Will now buy a space saver as the foamy stuff is pretty useless I’ve heard. I don’t do many miles anyway.
All I seem to do lately is spend money this flipping car, still space saver to buy and the warranty runs out in August and will most likely renew it.
All the best, Keith
Thanks for reporting back your findings, I still have around 5mm all round, but currently mileage being low, it will take plenty of time for those to wear, before needing change, if my average mileage is 5k, mostly driving in stop/start London, how long would anyone reckon it would take
before they need replacing. Or should I bite the bullet now and change, seems a waste to change now though.

Just to add I currently have Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY 3

Personally, I carry a carry a full-size spare in the Merc, and a space-saver in the Suzuki, plus a compressor and gunk kit in each car (just in case....).

Non-runflats have a more comfortable ride, are cheaper to buy, and in most cases punctures can be easily repaired.

Runflats have a harsher ride, are more expensive to buy, and in many cases punctures cannot be repaired.

BUT - being able to continue and drive the car until there's a safe place where you can stop, or in some cases even complete your journey, is a massive advantage of runflats. Even more so when it rains.... :D

Like most drivers, I had a few punctures, but luckily I never had one that forced me to stop in a dangerous location. But, as said, I am well aware of the limitations, if it did happen.
I have run flats on my new E53 Coupe I also have an SOS switch above the dash that I was told to activate and the cavalry will be coming to fix whatever is wrong.............My car is only a month old but whenever I get to where they're needing changed I will stick regular tires on

We’ve had the run flats for a few months now, and after the initial harshness, I’m getting used to them - not as harsh as my SL on 19’s.

On a slightly different take on the run flat tyres, which, by anyone’s experience are the most compliant run flats. I mean as in ride quality and noise. My factory fitted Contis are due for renewal and I really want to stick with the run flats. The Contis are very harsh and noisy. The car is C200 AMG Line with 19inch wheels.
I had a new W205 in 2016 on Conti run flats 19” - could not get rid of them fast enough, might as well been fitted with wheelie bin castors, noisy, harsh ride, didn’t wear particularly well and expensive. Fitted conventional tyres at about 12K, - different car. I actually thought that I had a developing transmission rumble but that disappeared at the tyre change!

Briefly in 2020, had a new GLA on 19” Good Year run flats, seemed quite acceptable, soft, quiet, decent grip etc. but then, they weren’t quite as low profile.

This March, got a new W205 on 19’s with run flats, feared the worst but this one came fitted with Pirelli tyres and I cannot fault them, quiet, smooth, excellent grip, might even replace these with like for like come the time.

I think MB did a lucrative deal with Continental for a while, but they really are shocking, seems not all run flats are terrible.

Given a free choice, I would want my cars to have a conventional full size spare and a jack etc. But then I’m an old fart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom