To scrap or not to scrap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian Hunt

Car
2001 W210 E220CDI Elegance, 2004 W168 A160CDI Avantgarde, Renault Trafic camper, Seat Leon project
Ok. Opinions please!

Right, my younger brother is kinda daft.
He has/had a 2003 Seat Leon (petrol,pretty basic spec). He's owned it since nearly new & his servicing/maintanance has been kind of lacking. He's been working in London & not using it for a while. In this time he's not bothered repairing a bump to the wing/door, not serviced it & left it standing under trees. Consequently the bulkhead has blocked itself with leaves & the car is pretty damp as a result - electrics affected by all accounts. The tax has run out & it's been sorned & is now sat on my sisters drive in Oxfordshire (she's not happy & wants rid asap).
The local garage has had a look said upto a grand to fix the bodywork, similar to service it properly & mot. plus untold amounts for whatever is wrong with the electrics.... i.e. They say it's scrap material.
However, it's only done about 30k miles! (Admittedly with my brother revving the b***s out of it).

My Father's down south at the moment, has looked at it & phoned me for advice. He says it's in a sorry state but must be better than that fate. It's down in Oxford at the moment, I'm up North in the Peak District & my dad's is down the road in Cheshire. If it was up here then it'd be a no brainer - we'd stick it in my garage/or his & get it into a state where it was worth more than scrap at the very least.
I said that I thought we should get it up here & deal with it but it seems daft to hire a transporter or trailer for a car that might be a wreck. My thoughts are that if we can get a local garage to scrape it through an MOT for a few hundred quid, I'll go down & drive it up, then fettle it at leisure in my own garage.

What would you guys do? Don't forget that sorry state or not, it's only got 30k on the clock.

I await your opinions.

Cheers

Ian

Aside from the car, and your probably not seeing this your brother sounds like a spoilt lazy self centered little ....

I only say this because I am having nightmares with one of my own. You do everything for them and they sit back and let you.
Trust me, any car is not worth the hassle. I'm now going through hell after years of bailing him out. Sorting out stuff coz (in a whiny tone) "I cant do it".
I did the same for an old rover he abandoned (and many others he broke) and now I get slagged off for benefiting from his once prized possessions. Please understand this goes very deep. What you see as simple neglect, is really a control thing and a way of getting back.

Do yourself a favor, look up passive aggressive, and look the other way.
Yeah its a shame about the car, but there are many out there.

Last edited:
Aside from the car, and your probably not seeing this your brother sounds like a spoilt lazy self centered little ....

I only say this because I am having nightmares with one of my own. You do everything for them and they sit back and let you.
Trust me, any car is not worth the hassle. I'm now going through hell after years of bailing him out. Sorting out stuff coz (in a whiny tone) "I cant do it".
I did the same for an old rover he abandoned (and many others he broke) and now I get slagged off for benefiting from his once prized possessions. Please understand this goes very deep. What you see as simple neglect, is really a control thing and a way of getting back.

Do yourself a favor, look up passive aggressive, and look the other way.
Yeah its a shame about the car, but there are many out there.

Spot on! I'll only get involved because Firstly: It'd help my father out of a quandry. Secondly: I hate to see such a waste, J***s it's barely run in! Thirdly: Well, it'd be a project.............

Give it a really good clean inside and out, and then stick it on eBay for 99p start, no reserve: end of problem!

IF you REALLY want to sort it, surely the only cost effective way is to hire a trailer (app £40 a day) & get it home, then in a worst case scenario,if you decide its scrap,the scrap money will pay for the trailer hire. If its better than scrap then you wont have spent hundreds of pounds in a garage,do it yourself.

IF you REALLY want to sort it, surely the only cost effective way is to hire a trailer (app £40 a day) & get it home, then in a worst case scenario,if you decide its scrap,the scrap money will pay for the trailer hire. If its better than scrap then you wont have spent hundreds of pounds in a garage,do it yourself.

I've found a more cost effective way! A garage my father uses is lending me trade plates so I can drive it back up.

Give it a really good clean inside and out, and then stick it on eBay for 99p start, no reserve: end of problem!

^^^^ what he said!

surely its your brothers problem anyway - tell him if he doesnt arrange to get it shifted you'll scrap it or ebay it

will it drive, with all the electrical issues?

^^^^ what he said!

surely its your brothers problem anyway - tell him if he doesnt arrange to get it shifted you'll scrap it or ebay it

I know he'd either do nothing with it or let it go for scrap & I hate to see it go to waste. It's gotta be worth £3k in a decent state - I'll either come to some arrangement where I take the majority of a profit from a sale or I'll use it for a while & keep the mileage off the merc.

will it drive, with all the electrical issues?

Apparently so. It was driven from London a couple of weeks back and I'm told it seems to go ok - another reason for me thinking it's worth a bit of work doing to it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom