To superchip or alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilburn

Hi,

I am looking to get our C220 diesel automatic (143bhp) chipped.

Should I goto a local superchip dealer and have a super chip fitted (cost £499)
http://www.superchips.co.uk/

or one alternative is here:

http://www.rstuning.co.uk/mercmaps.php

They said

Hi Paul

We can offer a full custom setup to your car for £445 which includes all the
rolling road testing. You will receive a graph with the power/torque from
before and after.

Any questions feel free to give us a call.

The superchip dealer is nearer to me than RS Tuning (in Leeds) but i'm not sure which chip would be best?

The superchips are in fact remaps. I have very good experience of them on a number of cars. First class performance and never any hint of trouble. I have also had very good experience with dieseltuner.co.uk and their CD1 box on an E220 150bhp. That worked really well and can be bought for about £150.
You pays your money...;)

Hi,

They said

Hi Paul

before and after.

The superchip dealer is nearer to me than RS Tuning (in Leeds) but i'm not sure which chip would be best?

Much bigger increase with Superchips - if it genuinely makes those figures.
Rstuning only about 10bhp increase. That said, It's good to see someone offering rolling road and before/after power runs!!

I'd go for the biggest increase.

"Rstuning only about 10bhp increase. That said, It's good to see someone offering rolling road and before/after power runs!!"

RS tuning website says it goes from 143bhp to 168bhp = 25 bhp increase

RS tuning website says it goes from 143bhp to 168bhp = 25 bhp increase

Woops! My apologies!

Itr's been a long day.:eek:

I'd go for that one then. Considering the rolling road.

Yes, sounds good, i have had areply from APB superchip dealer in Crew:-

Hi Paul,

The power gain figures on this car are 29BHP and 59NM of torque increase.
This is all programmed through the diagnostics port which leaves this
Undetectable to the Mercedes dealers.

We don’t do a rolling road test as Superchips do all this when developing
the programme for the car.

Price is £599.00 inc VAT

Dont forget to factor in the insurance increase when you tell them that your car is now modified!!
Hi,

They said

Hi Paul

before and after.

My 2006 MINI ONE Cabrio has been "Superchipped" to 150bhp, and now outguns the MINI Cooper. Its done over 41k since then and you really feel the power when it hits 4k revs!
Superchips have a VERY good rep with MINI owners who have used them, and its economical averaging between 45-50 mpgs.

Dont forget to factor in the insurance increase when you tell them that your car is now modified!!

I did a throttle reset yesterday and that has transformed the car!

It now drives just as you would expect.

So no need for any mods now :)

Too big an increase may be unneccessary as it could possible blow your headgasket. Get a professional recommended opinion for optimum power required

My 2006 MINI ONE Cabrio has been "Superchipped" to 150bhp, and now outguns the MINI Cooper. Its done over 41k since then and you really feel the power when it hits 4k revs!
Superchips have a VERY good rep with MINI owners who have used them, and its economical averaging between 45-50 mpgs.

Must be ideally suited to the chrysler engines in them then.

I'd be interested to know how well they fair in the facelifted mini which has the BMW engine now.

Superchips 'v' Tuning Boxes

The superchips are in fact remaps. I have very good experience of them on a number of cars. First class performance and never any hint of trouble. I have also had very good experience with dieseltuner.co.uk and their CD1 box on an E220 150bhp. That worked really well and can be bought for about £150.
You pays your money...;)

I cant see why anyone would use superchips when a diesel tuning box is £350 cheaper and can be added or removed in minutes - whereas superchips would charge you to put the mapping to standard again when selling the car.

I've used a tuning box on a Focus TDCi and it worked a treat - loads more torque :devil: and far better fuel economy when driving carefully.:rock:

Are there any "real" advatages in spending more than triple for superchips?:confused:

I was thinking with Superchips, since they don't change anything physically and therefore a remap could go undetected, surely the insurance people won't know if you were in an accident and "forgot" to tell them?

Insurance companies are wise to this and it can be detected easily, by anyone with diagnostic kit, including your Merc dealer.

Failing to disclose would void your policy and is fraud.

I'd be interested to see how they did this on an atmo engine. I think 150Bhp out of an atmo 1.6 engine is pushing it a bit..:rolleyes:

I hope you have proper RR figures to back this claim.

I did a throttle reset yesterday and that has transformed the car!

It now drives just as you would expect.

So no need for any mods now :)

Throttle reset?? This is new to me, what is it? Can I do one? Is it recommended? :confused:

I thought there was a thread where a guy who works on designing the gearboxes said that to "chip" the engine on a 220 cdi put too much strain on the gearboxes and they are prone to fail because of the extra torque.....

Or was I mistaken.....?

For what it's worth - if 'chipping' a car makes it so much more economical, powerful and altogether a better drive, Why didn't Merc do it on manufacture? IMHO Merc gave the car the best power to performance to economy to reliability ratio that it could, Add to one and you detract from another - otherwise why didn't Merc chip all their cars?

For what it's worth - if 'chipping' a car makes it so much more economical, powerful and altogether a better drive, Why didn't Merc do it on manufacture? IMHO Merc gave the car the best power to performance to economy to reliability ratio that it could, Add to one and you detract from another - otherwise why didn't Merc chip all their cars?

I think the answer to this is that the car is designed to work in all conditions, all countries and therefore in places where the fuel is not so good, the maintainance is not so good, etc etc so margins are built in etc to allow for this..

If one does chip then servicing becomes more crucial...etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom