To the dark side?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pittsey

Car
2009 C-Class Saloon
Just looked on eBay and you can pick up a 3 year old 640D very reasonably...

I'm very tempted

Any reasons why I shouldn't?

Just looked on eBay and you can pick up a 3 year old 640D very reasonably...

I'm very tempted

Any reasons why I shouldn't?

It's basically a 5 series - with either a 2 door or 4 door coupe style body. The Grand Coupe version has a wheel base identical to the 5 - the 2 door Coupe and Cabriolet si something like 4 inches shorter wheelbase.

Trouble is that they sold it a premium to the equivalent 5 Series without really being very ambitious about the dynamics.

Depreciation on the 6 was heavy. They would list at 64K a few years ago, and be worth (as trade) less than 30K at three years - with retailers trying to push a margin on that. Lease prices have been ridiculously low at times.

Positives:

- Decent level of trim
- GC is a comfortable 4 seater with the option of squeezing a victim between the two proper rear seats. (The 2 door Coupe is tight at the back).
- ZF 8 speed box is the one with the quicker sports shift (and paddles are standard).
- The 3.0 diesel is reasonably refined and a good match with the ZF 8 and it is very quick for a heavy car
- Reasonably comfortable

Negatives:

- Electric power steering poor IMO
- These days the market doesn't like diesel
- MSport versions are just a trim upgrade - same suspension and engine
- Most cars have the standard suspension - it should really have variable dampers as standard IMO
- It eats back tyres

The only reported issue I have heard about is the AC condensor which on the 5 had failures and reputedly is the same on the 6.

I had one for 30 months and TBH it's a car I don't really miss. But to be fair it was a very comfortable long distance cruiser for expediting journeys on on decent roads. I found the engine and suspension a bit tiresome in urban commuting.

The number of petrol versions sold was very low. So not many about used. That may be changing I guess. Most of them were MSport trim. Look for cars that include the VDC option which gives the variable dampers. (Beware of those owners who think they had VDC but in fact did not - some people think it came as standard and because the Sport mode firms up the steering it misleads them into thinking it firms up the dampers).

There have been some minor changes in the trim and also iDrive every few years. So if there is anything specific that bothers you check the car has it rather than just assume.

Also if performance is important - while the 6 is quick - it's not far off 2 tonnes. The 4 Series is available with the same engine and transmission and is a lot lighter.

. The 4 Series is available with the same engine and transmission and is a lot lighter.

Just bought a petrol 4 series 30 mins ago.

Gearbox is fantastic as is the tech , motors not bad either with 330 hp

A quick check of the computer indicates an average MPG of 29 over the last 9 months which is 30% more than my diesel CLS. Maybe the fact it is 500kg lighter has something to do with that.

Kenny

A quick check of the computer indicates an average MPG of 29 over the last 9 months which is 30% more than my diesel CLS. Maybe the fact it is 500kg lighter has something to do with that.

Depends how you drive ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom