To view or not to view?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kusanku

Car
A180cdi Avant Garde
In my search for a c-class estate with real leather interior, I came accross the following ad in Autotrader:

2008 (08 reg) Estate 34,000 miles Automatic 2.1L Diesel 5 Doors, Automatic, Estate, Diesel, 34,000 miles, Black, 1 Owner. Telephone pre wiring, Front and rear parking sensors, Alloy wheels, CD Multichanger, Climate Control, Colour coding - Body, Cruise control, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Leather upholstery, Radio/CD Multichanger. Please ring 07976 661602 to ask questions or organise a viewing, £18,750

No pics, but emailed the dealer with some questions, only one of which was answered, confirming that it was leather and not Artico. A week later, the dealer phones me about the car: obviously not had any interest. The first question I asked was about service history, in response to which I got the following story. The car was bought new from MB main dealer in Knightsbridge by a very wealthy couple. The first service was carried out by MB Knightsbridge at 12k mile: however they did not stamp the service book. He knew that MB carried out the service, as a "friend" works for MB and looked it up on the system. The couple then moved to Oxford, and had the car serviced at 26k. Once again they did not get the book stamped, but there is a receipt for a service carried out by a Mitsubishi garage at 42k km. He offered to get a 3rd service carried out by MB in Gloucester prior to sale.

Having heard all this, would you even bother going to see the car? It's about 45 minutes drive, so relatively local. The asking price is quite high, particularly as there is a clear lack of documentation. Is it worth going to see it, and then trying some serious bargaining if it looks otherwise ok? Would do people think?

No idea about the price, but I believe that modern MB's do not have a service book and rely on MB records.

Get the registration and call MB. They can confirm if the evidence you have matches the 12k and 26k. Is the last service at 42k or 42k km? Why would it be in KM? Or the mileage in the add doesn't match the last ervice record.

If the last service was the 26000 miles/ 42000km why have Mitsubishi entered it in km? Find out the Mitsubishi dealer and ask them.

Before you go to see the car, ask for the VIN and registration plate and ring up Mercedes Milton Keynes and ask them to verify the history.
If you have the VIN and plate, they should do this no bother. ;)

The wealthy couple story sounds a bit iffy to me though, although this can be verified before you waste your time with the aforementioned Mercedes check. :thumb:

Keep us updated.:D

What a load of old bo**ocks. What does the wealth of the original owner have to do with it. The worst people to buy cars from are the VERY wealthy - they just do not give a t*ss about a £40k car - it needs a service? how inconvenient.
I would not go near this one - there is no real service history so the mileage could be 170k for all you know.
Or you could become a detective and source the history but thats the sort of thing you might do after buying a cheapy in an auction - not a 3 yr old car from a trader at the thick end of £20k surely a MB approved from a main dealer is not much more money?

As Smiley, don't bother with this. MB approved cars available at that price..

If you go to view , you can easily obtain the VIN by yourself ( just look in the window ) - tell the vendor you need it for an HPI check if he asks .

Then , as above , you can ask the dealer to verify or refute the alleged services - handy if you're already on good terms with someone at your local dealer who can , and is willing , to look it up .

HPI check still a good idea if then still interested .

It will only cost you a couple of gallons of fuel and a couple of hours to go and see it - so not much to lose .

You can walk away at any time if not completely satisfied .

Well, my immediate reaction whilst listening to the story was to give this one a miss, especially as the asking price is not appreciably lower than a car with a legit service history. However, there are two other cars for sale within 10 miles of this one, which I will probably look at on Saturday, so for that reason only I will probably view this one as well. Must admit, the whole "wealthy couple" story made me think it has been owned by someone who could'nt give a monkeys about the car.

Well, my immediate reaction whilst listening to the story was to give this one a miss, especially as the asking price is not appreciably lower than a car with a legit service history. However, there are two other cars for sale within 10 miles of this one, which I will probably look at on Saturday, so for that reason only I will probably view this one as well. Must admit, the whole "wealthy couple" story made me think it has been owned by someone who could'nt give a monkeys about the car.

If they did give a monkeys then they would have made sure it was serviced AND the book was stamped. You have to ask why a desirable car of this age and mileage is outside of the main dealer network. My bet is that it has been p/xd to a main dealer (by the wealthy couple ha ha) who have then sent it off to auction as it is unfit to retail (no or missing history) where it has then been sold as mileage unwarranted for £14k ish; it has then passed through a couple of traders until this ad.
Call BCA and see if they have the reg on their records.

Call BCA and see if they have the reg on their records.[/QUOTE]

What is BCA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom