To wax or not to wax, that is the question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRIVER200

Car
C43 AMG Estate
My car is around 10 weeks old now and usually as with previous cars I wax this time of year and again in October. Any views on whether this is a good pattern or will the October coat be sufficient.:thumb:

Depends on the quality of the wax you are going to use. Going by this "C43 AMG Estate Premium Plus (Jan/2017)" then I would say is Foam wash the car first, that will loosen any contaminants , wash the the car then wax it with a good Carnauba wax based polish and that will should see you through to October with just a jet was every two weeks or so. I is best three times of the year 1st for Rainy part of the year, 2nd for the sunshine part of the year and 3rd for the winter/salty roads

If there is no protection applied then i would be giving it a thorough clean and then applying a couple of coats of wax.

As said, depending on what you use it should potentially last until October when you can top it up. :)

Depends on the quality of the wax you are going to use. Going by this "C43 AMG Estate Premium Plus (Jan/2017)" then I would say is Foam wash the car first, that will loosen any contaminants , wash the the car then wax it with a good Carnauba wax based polish and that will should see you through to October with just a jet was every two weeks or so. I is best three times of the year 1st for Rainy part of the year, 2nd for the sunshine part of the year and 3rd for the winter/salty roads

I currently use Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax which is a carnauba polymer paste wax which seems to do the job well.

Wax it, it's a protective layer after all.

Definitely wax it. Use a pure wax, not something that has cutting agents or fillers. My preference would be for Collinite 915, easily see you through to autumn.

My new Lexus came ceramic coated and after 5 months of simply washing with AutoGlym shampoo and drying with microfibre towels, it is still really glossy. But it lacks the slickness of a well waxed surface. So, today I washed the car with Meguiars Shampoo Plus and followed it with Meg's Synthetic X-Press Spray wax sprayed on the wet car, it acts as a drying aid (no water spots) and after wiping down with a microfibre towel, has left an exceptionally slick finish with a deep glossy wet look finish.

Well pleased :D

Last edited:
Meg's Synthetic X-Press spray wax certainly works very well :thumb: Applied in direct sun too, very easy to buff off..

IMG_20170403_112304_zps7yueihog.jpg

Last edited:
I currently use Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax which is a carnauba polymer paste wax which seems to do the job well.

Well just cleaned and waxed with BHDSW so for now just wash and go until winter.....

I would give it a thorough wash down and then apply a paint cleaner all over and buff off then apply a good quality wax. Will see you through no problems.

Car looks fabulous and also find Meg's Synthetic X-Press spray wax is excellent..

How to Apply?

Car looks fabulous and also find Meg's Synthetic X-Press spray wax is excellent..

Silly question perhaps, but how do you apply Megs Spray wax: it appears to be sold in "for professional use only" gallon containers.

You decant it into a spray bottle . It actually works out to be very cheap but you do need to buy a 3.78 litre one which will last for a long time.

You decant it into a spray bottle . It actually works out to be very cheap but you do need to buy a 3.78 litre one which will last for a long time.

Thanks for the replies - I'll be ordering some!

I have another question now as well: my paintwork has a few swirl marks and imperfections as it hasn't been treated to anything other than car washes for a while. Should I use a cutting compound or restorer first to get the paint into good shape before the wax?

How does this compare to traditional Carnauba wax based products?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom